• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Computer Build Question....Involves smoke!

d-dave

10 hours ago, MickMixon'sMetaphors said:

Years and years ago, I had that issue. It turned out I didn’t use little rubber washers when putting the board in the case. I guess I wasn’t grounding correctly. On a whim, I put some pressure “up” on the board and it turned on.  That was what clued me in.  I was really relieved at the time. 

My board didn't come with rubber washers.  Would that happen if it was working just fine, then nothing?

On 4/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, d-dave said:

My board didn't come with rubber washers.  Would that happen if it was working just fine, then nothing?

It's not likely a grounding problem but I guess it would depend on the case it's in. Most have motherboard standoffs anyway so it shouldn't be an issue.

It's almost definitely PSU related. Either an unfortunate unit or potentially less power than you anticipated in the build (I haven't tallied your power from the build but I would never suggest less than 650w gold rated PSUs to anybody on any build in general).

On antec, it's not that the PSUs they sell are particularly or uniquely bad. Their customer service is typically poor according to most things I've read. They base their units off of the lower tier seasonic FX PSUs and those have power draw issues. 

In general I'd suggest seasonic's modular PSUs (avoiding the FX line, as previously stated) because not only are they generally just good, but their RMA process is pretty solid if something is wrong. Or Corsair, can never go wrong with them for the same reason.

• Pie 1

One thing to keep in mind if you swap out your PSU that wouldn't seem to make a difference.

Use the new cables that come with the new PSU.  About a year ago I swapped an older ASUS PSU with a newer ASUS one to support an upgraded video card.  Yeah the main power cables worked fine and the board would post but that was about it.  It wasnt until I swapped the cables to the drives and the new card that the system would actually boot.

You'd think the power cable to a SSD would be pretty universal and a PCIE cable would be the same as any other.

Dont cont on it.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

One thing to keep in mind if you swap out your PSU that wouldn't seem to make a difference.

Use the new cables that come with the new PSU.  About a year ago I swapped an older ASUS PSU with a newer ASUS one to support an upgraded video card.  Yeah the main power cables worked fine and the board would post but that was about it.  It wasnt until I swapped the cables to the drives and the new card that the system would actually boot.

You'd think the power cable to a SSD would be pretty universal and a PCIE cable would be the same as any other.

Dont cont on it.

I didn't have the budget for a modular power supply 😃  It's just a spaghetti mess in the basement lol.

Oh, I just got a response from them.  They want me to document the S/N, ok, a picture of the warranty label, ok, then break the warranty label and send the three pictures in...

Edited by d-dave

3 hours ago, d-dave said:

I didn't have the budget for a modular power supply 😃  It's just a spaghetti mess in the basement lol.

Oh, I just got a response from them.  They want me to document the S/N, ok, a picture of the warranty label, ok, then break the warranty label and send the three pictures in...

I just recently had to do this with an essentially brand new microwave. Only a month old and I was only given the option of a refund and had to send pictures of the torn labels. So it sounds like you're getting a refund.

• Pie 1

On 4/18/2023 at 12:36 PM, d-dave said:

Sounds about right. Lol. If they make your RMA process hell, you know what brand to avoid in the future. But that's fairly standard.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, d-dave said:

You're too kind 😃  I'll see what they say.

The want to see if you spilled anything in it. They will try their best to avoid replacing your PSU.

I normally only buy ASUS or EVGA power supplies. I heard Antec was good but the one time I tried one out it didnt last long. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

The want to see if you spilled anything in it. They will try their best to avoid replacing your PSU.

I normally only buy ASUS or EVGA power supplies. I heard Antec was good but the one time I tried one out it didnt last long. 

Yep, just thought it was odd I wasn't sending it in or anything.  I guess there is SOME meaning into brands being popular.

When I bought it, I was talking to the IT guy at work, and he raved about how good their PSUs were.  Then I looked around online, and saw that they were highly regarded, more so than the more popular PSUs.  I saw that model was at least on the "not e-waste, won't blow up your system" on the PSU Cultists lists.

• Pie 1

On 4/20/2023 at 1:19 PM, PootieNunu said:

Lesson learned from the future, but they are sending me a new one.  Just be here Thursday.

• Pie 2