• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More NIL drama. This time in college basketball

jayboogieman

Boheim said a stupid thing.  He specifically called out Wake and Pitt for "buying" teams.  Which is absurd.  

Jim Boeheim says he calls the shots on his retirement, claims Pitt, Wake Forest, Miami 'bought' their teams - CBSSports.com

When reached for comment late Saturday night, Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes told CBS Sports of Boeheim's claim: "He's wrong. He's one thousand percent wrong. I don't have one player on my team that got NIL to come here. That's a fact. I've never had a player come here for NIL."

Boheim did later retract his statement about Wake and Pitt. 

But his comments are ironic given that he had wins vacated for impermissible gifts involving Carmelo Anthony.  

Might be time for the crazy old coot to retire.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Boheim said a stupid thing.  He specifically called out Wake and Pitt for "buying" teams.  Which is absurd.  

Jim Boeheim says he calls the shots on his retirement, claims Pitt, Wake Forest, Miami 'bought' their teams - CBSSports.com

But his comments are ironic given that he had wins vacated for impermissible gifts involving Carmelo Anthony.  

The man speaks the truth

8 hours ago, Shocker said:

Truth…college and pro basketball used to be incredible but the talent is watered down and no one plays simple fundamental basketball anymore.  The NBA is pretty much unwatchable and college is without star players 

I actually think it’s been declining for like 25 years or more

Accurate. College basketball was far and away my favorite sport growing up. I've been Carolina only for over a decade now. If Carolina isn't playing I'm not watching. The sport is a shadow of what it once was, even here in the heart of college basketball country.

9 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

What's the issue?

College students now get paid. They should have been getting paid. If you want the best of the best you gotta pay. NCAA has been screwing student athletes for decades. It's now the students turn to make profit.

Get that money college athletes!

Not to mention they have always gotten paid. All those old school coaches are upset because they can't have a monopoly on under the table money anymore and it's a free market distribution. They are also upset because they can't rook these poor bastards into taking a four year scholarship with almost no recourse if things don't work out. Now with the transfer portal and expanded rights there, it's like free agency every offseason.

Well......fuging good. fug these whiny college coaches that have made MILLIONS while the athletes they directly exploited get nickels in return. 

No college coach has any right to open their mouth unless they have been getting paid a salary roughly equivalent to a tenured professor at their university. They are and have been the ultimate crooks in the entire shady college sports fiasco. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

8 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I used to be heavily involved in AAU. Syracuse has long provided impermissible benefits to it's star recruits. He just hid behind the alumni like they all do. I remember having a discussion with a top recruit(top 15, five star) handler years ago about Jim Beoheim specifically. 

• Pie 1

I also thought it was ironic he specifically mentioned Coach K as a guy who retired because he was above the fray. Yeah, the guy who made a career out of coaching up four year player types but then suddenly made an about face in his later years and became a one and done factory like Calipari was above the fray. LOL! Please...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

For college basketball I don't think it matters as much.  Lets be honest, since the age of one and done the college basketball product has gone down hill.  It has been proven time and again that having the best talent doesn't win championships, look at Duke this year, number 1 recruiting class and they suck.  Buying a bunch on 1 and done players isn't going to change that just different teams will now prove that formula doesn't work.  Football is a little different, you at least get to keep those kids a couple of years

50 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I also thought it was ironic he specifically mentioned Coach K as a guy who retired because he was above the fray. Yeah, the guy who made a career out of coaching up four year player types but then suddenly made an about face in his later years and became a one and done factory like Calipari was above the fray. LOL! Please...

They all cheat. All of them. Dean did, Guthridge did, Doherty did, and Roy did. Hubert might not have to BECAUSE of NIL.

If you were a part of Division I college basketball over the past 40-50 years, you likely did some sketchy poo. That's how it has always been. Fans just liked it when only a few of us knew about it. 

That to me has always been why I have never had any respect for any college sports fan that didn't admit that the reveneu sports were rampant with cheating and ALL the time. None of us were alive when this hasn't been the case.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

They all cheat. All of them. Dean did, Guthridge did, Doherty did, and Roy did. Hubert might not have to BECAUSE of NIL.

If you were a part of Division I college basketball over the past 40-50 years, you likely did some sketchy poo. That's how it has always been. Fans just liked it when only a few of us knew about it. 

That to me has always been why I have never had any respect for any college sports fan that didn't admit that the reveneu sports were rampant with cheating and ALL the time. None of us were alive when this hasn't been the case.

Care to source that? Roy was known to back off elite recruits that had handlers (John Wall for example) so that is a pretty bold claim

Its really no different than it was...only now these schools have to publicly state how much they pay the top guys, versus it being hush hush.  Or poo like a lease on a new Escalade for 1 dollar a month, or a job that pays 20k a month where the guy doesn't have to show up.

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Care to source that? Roy was known to back off elite recruits that had handlers (John Wall for example) so that is a pretty bold claim

Zero chance I will ever say any names(I did know about Wall long before he committed). I never blamed any of the kids that I knew took money and I will never put their names out there for that.

I will say that most of those guys don't get directly involved. There is almost always some amount of separation so that the head coach has plausible deniability. 

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Zero chance I will ever say any names(I did know about Wall long before he committed). I never blamed any of the kids that I knew took money and I will never put their names out there for that.

I will say that most of those guys don't get directly involved. There is almost always some amount of separation so that the head coach has plausible deniability. 

There is always a "friend of the program", or a friendly booster or local business owner or something.  I experienced this kinda stuff at Appalachian State back in the day with the football team (I played baseball) so I can only imagine how crazy is was at the major schools. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

I don't doubt it. UNC was a lot more careful than the Caliparis of the world but those kids were definitely getting kickbacks from boosters, favors around town, etc.

Yeah, Carolina steered clear of the guys who were just blatantly trying to go to the highest bidder in their forced pit stop along the way to the NBA once the NBA no longer allowed kids to jump straight from HS.