• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Latter round QBs

DaveThePanther2008

4 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Be patient and stay put at 9.  If one of the top four QB’s is not there, take Quentin Johnson or the best NT on the board.  Draft Hooker of McKee in the second round.  This is what Reich was hired for.

That's what I was thinking, as well. I still believe we should throw out an offer for Stroud, if Chicago doesn't bite, move on. No need to give up too much when there are other QBs flying under the radar whom we can get on day-2. Stay at #9, trade back if necessary, if not, then I was leaning towards Johnson or Addison. Jake Haener or Duggan are two QBs looking like potential steals ATM on day-2.

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I don’t like anyone outside the top 4. I’d rather just roll with Corral unless someone like Dugan or Hooker falls to the 6th or 7th. Those are throwaway rounds anyway, wouldn’t hurt to take a chance.  If we don’t get a top four QB then this draft will have been a fail. 

I would spend a third on Hooker--for 2024.  But that can't be your plan A.

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, CamTheMan said:

I'm pretty high on Jaren Hall. He has some raw talent and his intangibles seem to be off the charts. Main concern seems to be age and injury history. 

Clayton Tune is the one I think could be a real stud though. He's big, not too old (23 now, 24 by draft), mobile, and is damn good at football. Smaller college, not great competition. I think once you get past that and just look at his talent and production alone, he's a baller. I'm not saying he should be a first rounder, but some of his film flashes that kind of talent. SMU game is crazy good film imo. 

Clayton Tune - Houston QB #3 vs SMU (2022)

I liked what I saw of Tune. 

8 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Plus everyone is calling it a “weak” class, yet 4 will be gone by pick 9?? Makes no sense…

Weak QB class at the top in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Too many overrated QBs.

Everyone dreams that a 1st round pick is the answer.

Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, Murray, Jones, Hasksins, Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert, Love, Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones, and Pickett.

Now, Stroud, Young, Levis, and Richardson?

And 14 of 29 QBs with records of .500 or better in 2022 are not 1st round QBs. Only 3 1st round QBs were among the top 11 winningest QBs in 2022.

Meanwhile, everyone wants to scramble for a bunch of 1st round overrated QBs when Purdy, Zappe, Rush, Howell, Hurts, Heinicke, Cousins, Rypien, Huntley, Thompson, Ridder, Garoppolo, Smith, Prescott, and Brady are winning at the NFL level in 2022. (82-39-1) 67.8% winning percentage. (18-8-1) 69.2% winning for 7th round to undrafted.

(118-69-1) 63.1% winning percentage for 1st round QBs who had success in 2022.

Seems like people need to wake up and stop wasting time on these 1st round below average QBs with huge expectations and give these other QBs outside the 1st round the opportunities to prove they are all just rare occurrences in the NFL. How many more of these QBs capable of winning in the NFL are sitting on the sidelines because of these terrible 1st round QBs getting 5 seasons to prove just how bad they are at the NFL level?

Too many people would rather want a 1st round QB than they would want a QB who can actually win in the NFL.

1 minute ago, CPantherKing said:

Weak QB class at the top in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022. Too many overrated QBs.

Everyone dreams that a 1st round pick is the answer.

Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, Murray, Jones, Hasksins, Burrow, Tagovailoa, Herbert, Love, Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones, and Pickett.

Now, Stroud, Young, Levis, and Richardson?

And 14 of 29 QBs with records of .500 or better in 2022 are not 1st round QBs. Only 3 1st round QBs were among the top 11 winningest QBs in 2022.

Meanwhile, everyone wants to scramble for a bunch of 1st round overrated QBs when Purdy, Zappe, Rush, Howell, Hurts, Heinicke, Cousins, Rypien, Huntley, Thompson, Ridder, Garoppolo, Smith, Prescott, and Brady are winning at the NFL level in 2022. (82-39-1) 67.8% winning percentage. (18-8-1) 69.2% winning for 7th round to undrafted.

(118-69-1) 63.1% winning percentage for 1st round QBs who had success in 2022.

Seems like people need to wake up and stop wasting time on these 1st round below average QBs with huge expectations and give these other QBs outside the 1st round the opportunities to prove they are all just rare occurrences in the NFL. How many more of these QBs capable of winning in the NFL are sitting on the sidelines because of these terrible 1st round QBs getting 5 seasons to prove just how bad they are at the NFL level?

Too many people would rather want a 1st round QB than they would want a QB who can actually win in the NFL.

First round QBs have the highest success rate. You can dance around the stat all you want but it’s proven. Skew the data, cherry pick a stat, keep in a small (1 year) sample size, but no one is interested in your nonsense. Go back to calling Icky a bust or talking about how good Glass will be. 

4 hours ago, DonPoas said:

I am quite biased on this one, but I would take a flier on Ahlers if they do not go QB in the early rounds. I'd even consider spending a 7th.  Ahlers improved substantially year to year during his time at ECU, especially going into his last season.  He started as a true Freshman.  Plus, he is tough as nails, looks the part, good leader, great character, has some wheels, and has the size/inertia to truck the majority of NFL DB's.  He could also be a good fit for the RPO and mesh concepts.  

He also had a ton of NFL level throws for a guy who “doesn’t have an NFL arm.”

I would never count Ahlers out.  The epitome of a team leader and knows the game backwards and forwards.  He also played this entire season with a torn labrum among other injuries.  Tough as nails.

4 hours ago, Xtreme said:

That's what I was thinking, as well. I still believe we should throw out an offer for Stroud, if Chicago doesn't bite, move on. No need to give up too much when there are other QBs flying under the radar whom we can get on day-2. Stay at #9, trade back if necessary, if not, then I was leaning towards Johnson or Addison. Jake Haener or Duggan are two QBs looking like potential steals ATM on day-2.

This makes the most sense if we stay at #9 and the top 4 QB's are gone.

Just make sure we absolutely draft a QB in the 2nd round. No more castoff vet QB's please!