• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCaffrey on Shanahan

Mr. Scot

I don't think we as fans have truly realized just how bad our offensive coaching has been since Henning, given the handicap they received with Smitty and then later w/Cam.  We had 2 guys that had the rare ability to take over a football game no matter the talent around them.  

Henning, Davidson, Chud, Shula a bunch of lucky bastards. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I don't think we as fans have truly realized just how bad our offensive coaching has been since Henning, given the handicap they received with Smitty and then later w/Cam.  We had 2 guys that had the rare ability to take over a football game no matter the talent around them.  

I don't think Turner was bad.

• Beer 3

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

Oh we've realized it over and over again. It's amazing this team still has fans. Maybe someday this franchise will get its head out of its ass...maybe 

• Flames 1

I bet Shanahan is an absolute gold mine of cool information.  He's just wired differently, and it applies to football at an incredible level.  There's a reason why his OCs tend to become head coaches quickly.  Dude is really good at football.

The reality is that the Turners were the last good offensive minds we had.  They had the experience of Norv and the youth of Scott to craft a really interesting offense.  The problem was the timing with Cam's injuries.  That sucked.  Could have been something really special, ruined by some malicious hits.

But Kyle Shanahan is something special.  Good for CMC.  I have nothing but love for him and wish him well, except when they play us.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Oh we've realized it over and over again. It's amazing this team still has fans. Maybe someday this franchise will get its head out of its ass...maybe 

I am so ready for a competent offense again.

It is amazing, this day & age, our yearly QB output has been around ~3200 yards, 15tds, and 15ints since Cam's exit.  

Really shows how awful and out of his league Rhule was.  Kyle Allen slinging Kevin Kolb-level-ball for 15 games was the best we've got in years.   

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, onmyown said:

It’s not just Rhule or Ron, it’s this franchise. Tepper is still calling the shots so more embarrassment like this in the future is likely.

On a side note that’s why this trade was a good one. The Panthers are years from understanding how to use a player like CMC let alone just win games.

Dang should we even bother fielding a team??? We just got Reich and are likely getting an OC from one of the two teams in the Super Bowl who most certainly know what to do with talented players like CMC. 

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, onmyown said:

It’s not just Rhule or Ron, it’s this franchise. Tepper is still calling the shots so more embarrassment like this in the future is likely.

On a side note that’s why this trade was a good one. The Panthers are years from understanding how to use a player like CMC let alone just win games.

I don't think we're years away. We've never had an offensive minded HC so seeing offense being the focal point isn't something we're used to. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Been following this team since 2003. None of our offensive coordinators have been anything to write about. Frankly, the best was likely Turner of all people. Brady was great getting the offense moving between the 20s but awful in the red zone. Shula was carried by talent. Chud was probably the best with tight ends. Henning knew to feed Smitty but otherwise was the most archaic. Yeah, not surprised by CMC's comments at all.

2 hours ago, pantherj said:

Anyone remember in he TB game thread to go to the playoffs, when I called out that the Bucs were going to go deep to Mike Evan because we had no safety help over the top? And then I said they were about to do it again, and they immediately did it again, and we still didn't have safety help? Just dumb stuff like that. Or McAdoo calling run plays that always required Ian Thomas to block, but we all knew full well he couldn't block any better than an undersized WR. We just had the dumbest team last season.

If you go back and watch Wilks' post game, he actually advises that it was 2 man under, which means help was supposed to be over the top in regard to AT LEAST one of those. This was in response to the CJ Henderson one. 

I think we need some perspective.  It's not like 30 other teams have kyle shanahan clones and we are the only team with a shitty coaching tree.  We've had our moments.

We are average.  We've always been average.  Our winning percentage since 2000 is 17th in the league.

But what is interesting to me is that we are 12th in the league in winning percentage against the spread (193 - 183 - 9).  Just a bunch of overachievers.

We've hit a rough patch. We have a new coach, a stud DC, and a boatload of draft picks.  We're on our way.  Let's enjoy.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't think Turner was bad.

Norv was the best OC we'd had, and had Cam on pace for career best numbers in completion percentage -- people forget, we were 6-2 and this was with a LT off the damn street. 

I appreciate the time Ron spent here, but I cannot forgive the fact that we IGNORED outfitting a generational talent at QB with the most effective skill players / OL to maximize his talent. 

I think the issue with defensive minded coaches is that even WITH a talent like Cam, they THINK I need the best defense I can field and my QB is good enough. When to me it's yes you need a good defense, but when you have THAT at QB, you need to field a GREAT offense. Not just a GREAT QB.

• Beer 1