• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCaffrey on Shanahan

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

If you go back and watch Wilks' post game, he actually advises that it was 2 man under, which means help was supposed to be over the top in regard to AT LEAST one of those. This was in response to the CJ Henderson one. 

Busted coverage then. And then busted coverage again when we should be looking for another deep shot to Evans. Just a mess.

7 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I think we need some perspective.  It's not like 30 other teams have kyle shanahan clones and we are the only team with a shitty coaching tree.  We've had our moments.

We are average.  We've always been average.  Our winning percentage since 2000 is 17th in the league.

But what is interesting to me is that we are 12th in the league in winning percentage against the spread (193 - 183 - 9).  Just a bunch of overachievers.

We've hit a rough patch. We have a new coach, a stud DC, and a boatload of draft picks.  We're on our way.  Let's enjoy.

We only have 7 picks - 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5

The extra 5th from SF is in 2024. 

The seven picks we have for 2023 as of today is the same number of total picks we'd normally have. The good thing is we can double up in rounds 2 & 3 this year if we're able to sit tight and get a guy like AR15 at no. 9. 

52 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

We only have 7 picks - 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5

The extra 5th from SF is in 2024. 

The seven picks we have for 2023 as of today is the same number of total picks we'd normally have. The good thing is we can double up in rounds 2 & 3 this year if we're able to sit tight and get a guy like AR15 at no. 9. 

Actually, I was thinking we had 1 2 2 3 4 4 5.  Should have said we have an unusual number of fairly high picks - i.e. higher draft value/points.

AR at 9 sounds good to me.  As long as we grab help on the DL as well as a TE and Free Safety fairly high.

There are 3 teams that pick right after us that are in need of OT.  We might be able to slide back a few, pick up an extra 3rd, and still get our guy.

Besides there is no way Fitterer doesn't trade back at some point to get some extra picks in the 6th/7th.  Someone might fall and we should obtain some ammo somewhere along the line.

9 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Norv was the best OC we'd had, and had Cam on pace for career best numbers in completion percentage -- people forget, we were 6-2 and this was with a LT off the damn street. 

I appreciate the time Ron spent here, but I cannot forgive the fact that we IGNORED outfitting a generational talent at QB with the most effective skill players / OL to maximize his talent. 

I think the issue with defensive minded coaches is that even WITH a talent like Cam, they THINK I need the best defense I can field and my QB is good enough. When to me it's yes you need a good defense, but when you have THAT at QB, you need to field a GREAT offense. Not just a GREAT QB.

Exactly...even now

18 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

Coaching matters. Wilks went 6-6 and some of our players thought he was Vince Lombardi because they only knew Rhule.

The Panthers first season was in 1995. We've known a lot more than just Rhule. When is the last time you saw an interim go 6-6 with this roster, four QB's, firing a DC and 8 staffers mid-season?

There is a reason Wilks was a finalist for the job. The offense could have been really good under Wilks if we were able to hire an OC. The problem is that if you want a good OC right now, you have to make them Head Coach due to market pressures.

If the reverse were true, I think Wilks would make a better HC than Reich while Reich would likely have been a great choice for running the offense.

Just my take. And I'm probably responding to a 19 year old who has only known Rhule as coach.

Las thing to note, Cam Newton scored something like 55 touchdowns, in total, in 2015, with Ron Rivera as HC, Cotchery, Funchess, Philly Brown, and Tedd Ginn as his receivers. He broke numerous rookie passing records, QB rushing records, etc.

Lamar Jackson, MVP, head coach is a DC. Bill Bellichek.

Look at Andy Reid, like 10 Championship game appearances, four Super Bowl Appearances, one Super Bowl win. 

You can figure it out with a great head coach, whether they are on offense or defense, if you have the right roster. The best coach, in my opinion, right now is Kyle Shanahan and what has made them so good is their defense. Their offense is good, but if they had been solely focused on that like some Panthers fans want us to be, they wouldn't be nearly as dominant in the postseason as they have been.

15 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Norv was the best OC we'd had, and had Cam on pace for career best numbers in completion percentage -- people forget, we were 6-2 and this was with a LT off the damn street. 

I appreciate the time Ron spent here, but I cannot forgive the fact that we IGNORED outfitting a generational talent at QB with the most effective skill players / OL to maximize his talent. 

I think the issue with defensive minded coaches is that even WITH a talent like Cam, they THINK I need the best defense I can field and my QB is good enough. When to me it's yes you need a good defense, but when you have THAT at QB, you need to field a GREAT offense. Not just a GREAT QB.

Even after Cam won league MVP in 2015, it never occurred to Ron/Hurney that we could be an offense-first team. See 2016 draft. First 4 picks were a scramble to replace CB. Not to upgrade the reason they actually lost the SB.

• Pie 2

18 hours ago, rayzor said:

makes me more excited about having reich here and more frustrated by the guys we've had coaching this team for too long.

I gotta wait to see what Reich does first. I suspect that he's closer to John and Ron than Shanahan, but I hope that he proves me wrong.

15 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

Chud was our best OC as far as I'm concerned.

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

I think we need some perspective.  It's not like 30 other teams have kyle shanahan clones and we are the only team with a shitty coaching tree.  We've had our moments.

We are average.  We've always been average.  Our winning percentage since 2000 is 17th in the league.

But what is interesting to me is that we are 12th in the league in winning percentage against the spread (193 - 183 - 9).  Just a bunch of overachievers.

We've hit a rough patch. We have a new coach, a stud DC, and a boatload of draft picks.  We're on our way.  Let's enjoy.

Moments of delight surrounded by years of misery.

Like being married to a crazy woman.

• Pie 4

4 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

We've known a lot more than just Rhule......

Just my take. And I'm probably responding to a 19 year old who has only known Rhule as coach.

He said the players. We have a lot of rookies/2nd year guys on this roster that the only NFL head coach they worked under directly was Rhule. They never seen a different way. Guys like Brown, Chinn, Horn, etc.