• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold

Shocker

19 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Here’s where I see the disconnect on Darnold…

Posters, like myself, suggest Darnold is worthy of bringing back on a backup QB contract. 

Other posters then come along and act as if it was suggested Darnold is our future at QB. 

No, that’s not what I’ve seen posted here. We need a backup QB. We have one QB on the roster and he’s never played a snap in the NFL. It shouldn’t be considered “looney” to bring a backup QB in to play primarily backup QB on a backup QB contract. 

This all damn day. 

Some want Sam as a backup or as a dude who can play until Corral/rookie is ready.  

Those wanting more from him…that’s a tough sell. 

You can’t respond to both these posters the same way. They aren’t the same lol. 

I’m Mr. Nuance so I know this type of stuff. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

I know you aren't saying he's our future but you and others at least in my view seem to give him the benefit of the doubt you don't offer to other QB's. There are other backup tier signal callers we can consider Sam is not the only free agent available. Reich and now Fitterer both have the added and IMO very important perspective of having learned from mistakes of giving highly touted yet underperforming quarterbacks teetering on bust status chance after chance. I think they will look to begin anew. You have to turn the page from mistakes.

I'm going to try and explain it to you.

Other backups are typically backups because of physical limitations. High floor ultra low ceiling. 

Sam has the physical tools. He's worth 8mil easily. But like Scarecrow he needs a brain.

Frank could be the Wizard he needs

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

Other backups are typically backups because of physical limitations. High floor ultra low ceiling. 

Sam has the physical tools. He's worth 8mil easily. But like Scarecrow he needs a brain.

Reich is going to have to be a “Dr. Strange” level wizard if he’s going to make it where Darnold doesn’t piss down his leg at the first sign of pressure. 

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Some want Sam as a backup or as a dude who can play until Corral/rookie is ready.  

Those wanting more from him…that’s a tough sell.

That's quite literally wanting more from him than he's capable of doing and why people want to look at other options. He is not a bridge QB under any circumstances. He could run a few drives in games here and there but he cannot start you games and keep you in any level of contention.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

11 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for his interviews with us. But I feel like I can safely assume no part of that interview process involved him declaring he can fix Sam Darnold. Do you ever try to put yourself in anyone else's shoes? Him and Fitterer know this is their last big chance. And you think Darnold is going to spoil that for them? Come on man wake up.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Wait you think Fields doesn't have the PHYSICAL ability to make elite NFL throws???  He needs to work mentally on reads, footwork etc, but physically he is good to go.  

No I don't think so. I don't think he can make the layered throws especially the deep out Tampa 2 buster.

I think Fields throws a good deep ball and has a rocket launcher. He can make some frozen rope dimes. But you can't live on frozen ropes in the NFL they get picked. You have to be able to arc the ball and drop it in.

• Poo 1

19 minutes ago, RJK said:

Can you spot the difference between Sam darnold and Justin fields game? I think you can. mrw GIF

Yep, 1 is way more mobile than the other one. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same passer.

That being said, Fields is already showing signs of not being able to stay healthy because he runs the ball 15+ times a game.

Not saying Darnold is great, but Fields is not the answer at QB and the fact that people want us to give up our 1st rounder (or more) for him is just moronic.

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

That's quite literally wanting more from him than he's capable of doing and why people want to look at other options. He is not a bridge QB under any circumstances. He could run a few drives in games here and there but he cannot start you games and keep you in any level of contention.

4-2 as a starter this year would suggest otherwise, but that’s close to best case scenario for a non-rookie QB you’re paying ~5mil for. 

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It's almost like we don't hold a 2nd year player starting his first full season to same level as a 5th year vet making $20 million.....

1 QB will cost us about 6 mill to keep. The other QB would cost us a 1st rounder to get.

Yeah, I'd rather have the QB we can get for cheap and not give up a 1st for a QB that will be useless once his speed deteriorates

Edited by PleaseCutStewart
  • Pie 3

2 hours ago, ECHornet said:

Corral = 23

Darnold = 25

He still has potential. He is a top 5-10 backup QB at minimum right now. That's worth 5mil

Age at this point with Sam is irrelevant.  He has been an NFL starter for a half decade.  

He isn't a top 5 backup.   Because he doesn't offer any of the boxes you look to check for in a backup QB.  That would be like claiming PJ Walker is a top tier backup QB.  He isn't. 

• Pie 2

Just now, ECHornet said:

4-2 as a starter this year would suggest otherwise, but that’s close to best case scenario for a non-rookie QB you’re paying ~5mil for. 

Those 4 wins were more due to the pieces around him and the losses highlight his limitations the same as they did in New York. When he absolutely has to win you games with that arm talent he can't. Look at all the team had to do to put them in position to defeat an Andy Dalton led Saints team coached by Dennis Allen. If you're Frank Reich and Scott Fitterer you leave no stone unturned. Would you settle for Sam if your job and career were on the line?

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers