• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold

Shocker

22 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Elite passing ability? Can make all the throws? Cam could do all that, yet you said you didn’t want another Cam or anything like him. Cam also had slightly better completion percentages. 

All this is laughable. Your posts, and most of your posts critiquing QBs are hogwash. Just say you like Sam, and those other guys, you didn’t like. 

Cam in my opinion should have been the Greatest QB to ever live with his tools.

BTW I consider Bo Jackson the best back I've seen even tho he got hurt so I don't always put longevity into my rankings.

Come on be honest Cam was a general vicinity passer and you know it most of the time his placement was just a little off. His big miss was always sky high. 

He was a great player and even better human though. 

Lol if you think I think Sam Darnold compares to Cam Newton. But at a minimum he could become DA and on the high side Stevie B?

Darnold showed signs of improved processing and clearly improved mentally. Even those who don't want him back have to acknowledge that. He looked WAY calmer in the pocket and his footwork took a big step forward. He's younger than a few guys in this draft. I don't get why people are going balls to the wall to crap on him when pretty much everyone who wants him back is saying they want him on a cheap, short-term deal. Nobody is saying he is the future. Nobody is denying he has had a poor career. His coaches were Adam Gase (he is literally failing as a high school OC right now) and Matt Rhule (self explanatory). He played 6 games in his career without them and here are his stats stretched through a full season and where they rank in the league:

3238 yards (15th)

20 TDs (15th)

8 Ints (9th among QBs with more than 8 starts)

92.6 Rating (13th)

11-6 record

There is damn near no objective way to say he is not worth a backup level contract.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

1 QB will cost us about 6 mill to keep. The other QB would cost us a 1st rounder to get.

Yeah, I'd rather have the QB we can get for cheap and not give up a 1st for a QB that will be useless wants his speed deteriorates

One is developing with a defensive HC, no OL, and no weapons outside of Moony. Fields is projecting to get better which is why he would cost so much more to acquire. Darnold is what he is (a decent backup who isn’t consistent) and there is nothing wrong with that. Fields passer rating increased as the season progressed while Darnold falls apart that last game. Fields isn’t there yet as a passer, but he has potential to get there. The NFL sets the price to acquire these QBs is one is available as a FA for around $5 million there is usually a reason…

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CamTheMan said:

Darnold showed signs of improved processing and clearly improved mentally. Even those who don't want him back have to acknowledge that. He looked WAY calmer in the pocket and his footwork took a big step forward. He's younger than a few guys in this draft. I don't get why people are going balls to the wall to crap on him when pretty much everyone who wants him back is saying they want him on a cheap, short-term deal. Nobody is saying he is the future. Nobody is denying he has had a poor career. His coaches were Adam Gase (he is literally failing as a high school OC right now) and Matt Rhule (self explanatory). He played 6 games in his career without them and here are his stats stretched through a full season and where they rank in the league:

3238 yards (15th)

20 TDs (15th)

92.6 Rating (13th)

11-6 record

There is damn near no objective way to say he is not worth a backup level contract.

Yeah clearly it was Adam Gase and Matt Rhule's fault Sam Darnold put up a historically bad passer rating against the Saints. You think we win 11 games with him? Insane.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 2

14 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

No I don't think so. I don't think he can make the layered throws especially the deep out Tampa 2 buster.

I think Fields throws a good deep ball and has a rocket launcher. He can make some frozen rope dimes. But you can't live on frozen ropes in the NFL they get picked. You have to be able to arc the ball and drop it in.

So in his 423 completions for 5701 yards and 67 TDs to 9 INTs with a 68.4% completion in college he never figured out how to make a layered throw?  I get needing a mental adjustment from OSU to the NFL but he can throw the ball physically.  Mentally he needs work...

Looking at his draft profiles the weaknesses are getting off his first read and footwork in the pocket.  Nothing to do with throwing ability.  In fact you will see constantly able to make throws at all 3 levels mentioned.

• Pie 1

Reich has historically coached his QBs to their career best performances/seasons.

Considering Darnold's previous coaches, I have little doubt that Reich could improve Sam's game.

Also, I'd be surprised if the Panthers didn't have a veteran QB on the team come regular season.

Having said that, I doubt the Panthers first choice for veteran QB would be Sam Darnold, but he is probably an option if Plan A or B doesn't work out.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

What are you talking about? There are plenty of fact, like the last 4 years, that prove Darnold effing sucks. 
Darnold was not good even during his wins. He wasn’t.  
Saints game was the real Sam Darnold. The Tampa game was the real Darnold. Good lord you guys are so freaking weird. 

Yep you have PTSD.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

Sam still sucked in 2022 though.  58% completion on the year.  Only his rookie season was worse. 

The run game was good vs bad teams.  It allowed them to minimize Sam's ability to negatively influence games. 

To me the 2022 hype is just a variation of the early 2021 Sam hype.   The bad Sam is clearly still there.   He just went a tiny stretch where he didn't totally implode games.  Which is something you have always been able to cherry pick in his career.  In New York too.  Sam Darnold simply isn't a decent NFL QB.  

Sam played the hand he was dealt and did what he could to help the team. He helped us to 4 wins in 6 games and managed the game which is his job. At the end of the game it is about wins and losses and scoring points and he did that pretty well.

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, frankw said:

Yeah clearly it was Adam Gase and Matt Rhule's fault Sam Darnold put up a historically bad passer rating against the Saints. You think we win 11 games with him? Insane.

Guy, if you're going to respond to what I just said with "but he had a bad game in a week 18 matchup where both teams were already eliminated and half the players were out," just let me know now so I can know not to engage further. 

20 minutes ago, CamTheMan said:

3238 yards (15th)

20 TDs (15th)

92.6 Rating (13th)

11-6 record

It doesn’t work like that

2 minutes ago, CamTheMan said:

Guy, if you're going to respond to what I just said with "but he had a bad game in a week 18 matchup where both teams were already eliminated and half the players were out," just let me know now so I can know not to engage further. 

Well there's not much to engage with if you're going to remove that game to make your argument look better. Sorry bud the world doesn't work that way and the Carolina Panthers aren't running a charity. Enjoy your day!

• Pie 1