• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It Might Just Be Me....

chknwing

9 minutes ago, mountainpantherfan2 said:

Bridge QB while they develop a QB?  I think it’s important to note that both Reich and Fitterer won Super Bowls with 3rd Round QB’s.  I would not discount Corral and/or another QB drafted this year in the 2nd or 3rd round paired with a vet QB that knows Reich’s system. 

Jacoby Brissett played for Reich in Indy and will be a Free Agent. Two other names to possibly keep an eye on especially if they get cut are Nick Foles and Carson Wentz. None of these would be seen as an answer for QB1 but they would all know Reich’s system and more importantly able to help with developing a young/rookie QB of the future. 

I’m excited to see Corral with a QB Guru of a coach. His release is the fastest I can remember, would love if he could make it in the NFL. 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Donald LaFell said:

I’m excited to see Corral with a QB Guru of a coach. His release is the fastest I can remember, would love if he could make it in the NFL. 

You don't consider Ben McAdoo a quarterback guru? 😐

Seriously though, he does have a lightning release.

With actual teachers, who knows?

I was thinking this at first but ultimately it only applies to Evero who likely couldn't care less what we do at QB. Between McCown being regarded as a great QB coach for young QBs before even having the coaching position and Brown being deemed, in McVay's own words, "one of the best teachers he's worked with", the Panthers might be in an amazing position to draft a QB in the first.

If Reich, Brown and McCown believe that any of the top 4 guys are coachable, I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to sit at 9 and wait to see who's left. Because of this, I'm actually kinda high on Levis and Richardson because when put in the hands of these coaches, they both have a great chance to reach their ceilings.

49 minutes ago, mountainpantherfan2 said:

Bridge QB while they develop a QB?  I think it’s important to note that both Reich and Fitterer won Super Bowls with 3rd Round QB’s.  I would not discount Corral and/or another QB drafted this year in the 2nd or 3rd round paired with a vet QB that knows Reich’s system. 

Jacoby Brissett played for Reich in Indy and will be a Free Agent. Two other names to possibly keep an eye on especially if they get cut are Nick Foles and Carson Wentz. None of these would be seen as an answer for QB1 but they would all know Reich’s system and more importantly able to help with developing a young/rookie QB of the future. 

Reich won a Super Bowl with Foles who was his backup. Wentz was the starter and helped them get there and was putting up a MVP season before he got injured.  The Eagles jumped from 8 to 2 to draft Wentz 2nd overall. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

I think the opposite here. I think they built this staff to build a dynasty roster. That would be landing a talented QB on a rookie contract. 

whether or not it happens is to be determined 

This has happened 4 times in NFL history. Troy Aikman, Eli Manning, Joe Montana, and Tom Brady. The 3rd and 6th round QBs established greater dynasties with their respective coaches than the 1st round QBs.

The other dynasties built up their team. Some dynasty coaches inherited a QB from the previous coach and others waited until they spotted their QB and inserted them into a successful team after their first year.

While only 4 dynasty coaches have drafted their QB in year 1, 10 other dynasties have taken the approach of building a team. You could say Walsh and Belichick also focused on the team and made QB secondary while investing in Montana and Brady while riding their success.

Most do not talk about the fact that Jimmy Johnson took Troy Aikman with the 1st pick in the 1989 draft and then took Steve Walsh with the 1st pick in the 1989 supplemental draft. The other QB was a Manning. Seems to be much more rare to wait for a Manning or draft multiple #1 QBs in the coaches first season than it is to build a team and draft a mid to late round QB to invest in/believe in and ride their success as long as possible.

So, in year 1 as a first year coach...

1. Draft a Manning for a short lived dynasty [Giants] (Next Manning in 2027)

2. Draft two 1st round QBs (similar in style) in the same season, CJ Stroud and Will Levis, for a short lived dynasty [Cowboys]

3. Draft a mid to late round QB and draft defense/receivers for a well built team for a lasting dynasty [49ers/Patriots]

4. Sign/trade for a 30 year old vet QB to build around and insert at a later year a drafted QB into a well built team for consistent winning seasons and championships [Cowboys/Chiefs/Raiders]

5. Inherit a franchise QB from the previous coach [Packers, Dolphins, Commanders, Steelers, Broncos, Giants]. This results in a mix of short and long term dynasties.

Drafting a 1st round QB as a first year coach seems to be the worst decision to build a dynasty.

Going with Matt Corral, Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Nick Foles, or Cooper Rush and loading up on young QBs, 4th round or later, for the QB room while building the team out seems to be the way to go to build a dynasty.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

You are in for a very disappointing season if you are expecting that this upcoming season.  Even Cam Newton could not do that his first season.  Ironically a practice squad/nfl Europe qb we signed did. But I digress. My point being we will not start a rookie before he's ready and there is not one in the draft ready to anyway. So a vet it is for the time being.  You might as well accept it.

And where exactly did you get this information? Bryce and Stroud could start tomorrow specifically and Levis is already like 25 so im pretty sure nobody is planning on sitting him,  if so... it would be brief. Richardson is the main one that has received a lot of talk of sitting so all this not ready to start talk for the QBs is new to me.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I remember thinking that seemed awfully high for a lineman.

Had Atlanta taking the same lineman a couple of weeks ago.  These mocks are only for fantasy football nerds because they are NEVER accurate.  I really cannot understand why anyone would take them seriously. 

10 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

I think the opposite here. I think they built this staff to build a dynasty roster. That would be landing a talented QB on a rookie contract. 

whether or not it happens is to be determined 

yeah i think this staff was built to develop a QB. not take a developed one. they want to shape a QB and shape a system around him. 

and it's built \so that successors to whoever gets a HC job will have an in house replacement. they've thought this thing through. they have guys in the wings who are prime to move up into OC or DC jobs just like they have guys who are prime to move up into HC jobs.