• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL: Bezos barred from bidding on Commanders

Mr. Scot

From Ben Standig in The Athletic 

From the article...

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos is not allowed to bid for the Washington Commanders, the team’s banker, Bank of America, has told the billionaire, a person briefed on the sale process confirmed to The Athletic.

The person added that Bezos being barred from bidding has been a reality for months.

Bezos owns the Washington Post, which published a series of stories documenting a culture of sexual harassment at the team that ultimately helped build the pressure to sell. But beyond that, team owner Daniel Snyder has long felt, those close to him have said over the years, that the newspaper has endeavored to oust him from the NFL.

"It’s a free country, he can sell to whomever he wants,” the person briefed on the sale process said. Bezos, because he is barred from bidding, has not had access to the team’s finances.

Florio reported earlier today there are hints the team might not be sold at all, but if it is, it won't be to Bezos.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

The financial improprieties allegation, made by former vice president of sales and customer service Jason Friedman, that got the most media attention was that Washington kept two sets of books to hide income from other NFL owners, teams, and players. This was seen as a silver bullet that could finally kill the beast that’s been holding the franchise down if it could be proven true. Other allegations were made about Washington strategically making it more difficult for customers to get the refundable deposits that should have been returned. The team paid a $250,000 fine in a settlement agreement with Maryland, and two lawsuits were filed by former Washington, D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2023/2/22/23610265/at-least-one-subpoena-issued-federal-criminal-investigation-dan-snyder-and-washington-commanders-nfl 

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The NFL is gonna have to force him to sell which should've already happened. He's done waaaaaaay more to get forced out than JR did.

How do you know that? JR paid multiple millions that included non disclosures to several people and sold it when his own ‘investigation’ was laughed at. So the details didn’t need to come out. 

Thus, we don’t really know what happened or the full extent of it. Generally small things don’t cost millions though.

Implicating we do know the full details of the JR fiasco and how ‘bad’ it was perpetuates the idea that his money bought your opinion and illusion of innocence. Proof being your statement, which is very sad. 

Fact is no one knows. 

I believe both are pieces of poo with equal amount of slime. Difference is simply JR is smarter than Synder. Unlike Synder, JR didn’t fight past a certain point, timed and hid things well.

Despite the unknowns, I suppose I logical conclude when a stingy rich man pays millions in non disclosures and sells his prized life’s work there is a lot of shadiness going on.

It is quite strange to me people ignore those facts, and find it sensible to downgrade the severity because people were paid off to not share the details.

Money really does rule all.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, onmyown said:

How do you know that? JR paid multiple millions that included non disclosures to several people and sold it when his own ‘investigation’ was laughed at. So the details didn’t need to come out. 

Thus, we don’t really know what happened or the full extent of it. Generally small things don’t cost millions though.

Implicating we do know the full details of the JR fiasco and how ‘bad’ it was perpetuates the idea that his money bought your opinion and illusion of innocence. Proof being your statement, which is very sad. 

Fact is no one knows. 

I believe both are pieces of poo with equal amount of slime. Difference is simply JR is smarter than Synder. Unlike Synder, JR didn’t fight past a certain point, timed and hid things well.

Despite the unknowns, I suppose I logical conclude when a stingy rich man pays millions in non disclosures and sells his prized life’s work there is a lot of shadiness going on.

It is quite strange to me people ignore those facts, and find it sensible to downgrade the severity because people were paid off to not share the details.

I’ve said this before but I believe the coverup had more to do with his mental and congenital regression. We will probably never know if true but I suspect JR was and is suffering some form of dementia. There’s even been some comments by past players and coaches/personnel to suggest a major change in personality around 2013/2014. 

And ultimately the forced sell of the team had way more to do with his worsening mental state and having to personally come to terms with the fact he couldn’t be the owner anymore. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

Fact is no one knows. 

How many scandals has Snyder been involved in? It's happened time and time again. I'm not defending JR. I have no issue with him being forced to sell. My issue is that Snyder hasn't been.

• Pie 1