• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Scouting Assistant is Mike Trgovac's...

Mr. Scot

From the article...

Mike Trgovac said his daughter picked up things fast when he would turn on the tape at home.

“We’d be watching tape and she’d make a comment on someone. I was kind of like, the hell she learn that from? Did that just come natural or did that come from her hearing me talk throughout the years?”

Capers, who returned to the Panthers this month on Frank Reich’s staff, wasn’t surprised to see Trgovac make the switch to scouting.

“Growing up a coach’s daughter, obviously she has a different perspective of the game, watching her dad all those years,” Capers said. “I really think that’s an advantage, whether it’s a son or a daughter.”

“Sometimes (in) the business world, the media world, when a female enters this unknown territory, some males don’t want them there. I said, ‘Just make sure you’re around the right guys,'” he said. “And she assured me the guys with the Panthers are awesome.”

One of them — assistant general manager Dan Morgan — was a Pro Bowl linebacker for the Panthers during Mike Trgovac’s tenure as defensive coordinator. Morgan said Jordan’s early scouting work has been impressive.

Trgovac said she’s particular with the wording in her reports, wanting to be sure to give Morgan and others in the scouting department a clear picture of the prospects she’s evaluating.

“Nasty finisher” is probably her favorite scouting expression, as in: Ikem Ekwonu is a nasty finisher who “works to bury the defender,” as Trgovac put it.

Morgan said Trgovac demonstrated a good feel and knowledge of the game, whether in her written reports or when she presented 10 to 12 prospects during the Panthers’ pre-combine meetings.

“I think it’s just been a natural progression for her to come to our side. She’s done a great job so far,” Morgan said. “She’s really locked in. She asks a lot of good questions, works her butt off and she’s super smart. I think she has a really bright future.”

• Pie 6

1 minute ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I wonder how long before we see a female GM in the NFL?

I know Cleveland hired Catherine Raîche as their assistant GM last year, but I'm not real familiar with any other women who are working their way up the GM ladder.

Maybe Jordan can get there one day.

Here's a little more from the article on that topic...

This is Jordan Trgovac’s first combine since making the jump from the Panthers’ public relations department to scouting last May. Trgovac, 28, who played softball at the College of Charleston, is part of a small but growing number of women in scouting.

According to the NFL’s Jordyn White, there were 33 women in full-time scouting roles in 2022, a 9 percent increase from the 2021 season. Trgovac is participating this week in the NFL’s two-day Women’s Forum, which will connect 41 women — 60 percent of whom are women of color — with NFL leaders in a networking opportunity in the fields of scouting, coaching and football operations.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

43 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I wonder how long before we see a female GM in the NFL?

I know Cleveland hired Catherine Raîche as their assistant GM last year, but I'm not real familiar with any other women who are working their way up the GM ladder.

Maybe Jordan can get there one day.

Hey maybe we're grooming Nicole Tepper as our future GM....that's why she was included in the coaching search this season 👀

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Hey, we need all the credible eyes we can get to help find talent. 

The article makes it sound like she's got a bright future.

It's funny. In past years even women sportswriters were unusual, but ladies like Mary Kay Cabot and our old friend Jourdan Rodrigue have shown they can do just as good a job as anyone.

I've certainly talked to women who knew their football as well or better than some men. So coaching and scouting? Sure, why not?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The article makes it sound like she's got a bright future.

It's funny. In past years even women sportswriters were unusual, but ladies like Mary Kay Cabot and our old friend Jourdan Rodrigue have shown they can do just as good a job as anyone.

I've certainly talked to women who knew their football as well or better than some men. So coaching and scouting? Sure, why not?

Absolutely.  Not many men know much about football as evident by some of the conversations we see on here.  

• Pie 2

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Absolutely.  Not many men know much about football as evident by some of the conversations we see on here.  

If you had a chance to listen to Rodrigue talking to Julian Council about Ejiro Evero's defense, you'd have thought you were listening to a coach breaking down film.

She knows her stuff.

• Pie 4

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

If you had a chance to listen to Rodrigue talking to Julian Council about Ejiro Evero's defense, you'd have thought you were listening to a coach breaking down film.

She knows her stuff.

I did catch it. She's very observant and knowledgeable about what she sees on the field and on the sidelines.  Not a lot of folks pay that much attention to what's really going on.

• Beer 1