• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jalen Carter may be dropping after this

12 hours ago, Panfan35 said:

How is Carter even responsible for this accident the staffer was driving the car drunk and made the decision to race even if Carter was right behind them which it sounds like that’s the case cause his car was struck by electric cables from the telephone pole breaking he did not cause the crash and doesn’t have a legal obligation to stay. He would have been tested and charged with dui
this is going to turn into a civil suit with a staffer partying with players driving a car leased to the university 

This is an interesting point, from a legal standpoint at least.  He was obviously speeding but he was behind that car and they caused the crash.  Legally I'm not sure he had to STAY but could be wrong.  Now, morally and character wise, it's majorly messed up to leave people behind like that that were in an accident.

12 hours ago, Panfan35 said:

How is Carter even responsible for this accident the staffer was driving the car drunk and made the decision to race even if Carter was right behind them which it sounds like that’s the case cause his car was struck by electric cables from the telephone pole breaking he did not cause the crash and doesn’t have a legal obligation to stay. He would have been tested and charged with dui
this is going to turn into a civil suit with a staffer partying with players driving a car leased to the university 

Per The Athletic:

A police investigation found that LeCroy and Carter “were operating their vehicles in a manner consistent with racing shortly after leaving the downtown Athens area at about 2:30 a.m. The evidence demonstrated that both vehicles switched lanes, drove in the center turn lane, drove in opposite lanes of travel, overtook other motorists and drove at high rates of speed, in an apparent attempt to outdistance each other.”

The ACCPD also reported that LeCroy was “traveling at about 104 miles per hour” shortly before the accident and her “blood alcohol concentration was .197 at the time of the crash.”

The investigation concluded that “alcohol impairment, racing, reckless driving and speed were significant contributing factors to the crash.”

Generally, before making charges the police consult with the district attorney, or whoever would be prosecuting the case. So the decision to charge Carter with two misdemeanors and nothing more would have been made jointly by the police and Athens-Clarke County district attorney. While aspects of the crash investigation are ongoing, this appears to represent finality, at least as far as major developments.

https://theathletic.com/4264525/2023/03/01/jalen-carter-georgia-arrest-warrant/

5 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

This is an interesting point, from a legal standpoint at least.  He was obviously speeding but he was behind that car and they caused the crash.  Legally I'm not sure he had to STAY but could be wrong.  Now, morally and character wise, it's majorly messed up to leave people behind like that that were in an accident.

I think lying to the cops repeatedly is the biggest of the issues but he could just chalk that up to being scared after seeing the wreck.  But lying to the cops is bad. 

15 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I doubt he falls out of the top 10.  He is an incredible talent and the nfl doesnt care about dlineman with character concerns.  

I'm just telling you what the rumors are. I know our staff cares because they have repeatedly said it's one of the things they look for is high character players.

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

I never said either of those things.  Where did that come from?

I think he should be given the same legal consequences that anyone else would get.  I do think what he and his friends did was incredibly stupid and reckless.  They put the lives of other innocent people at risk.  It is frightening to think that you or I could be driving down the road and be killed by idiots driving over 100 mph dodging from lane to lane.

I would not want that guy on my team.  A couple of our new coaches have mentioned how important it is to have players who are smart.  I agree.  And as I said earlier...would be hard to trust him. 

My guess is that he will get on a team when he legal situation is cleared.  

I actually asked for clarification, which you gave. You really have to in this place being that some tend to be so judgmental about certain things and not others.

From my understanding from listening to ESPN, the normal punishment for this situation is a fine (max $1000) and probation. 

Yes, he was extremely stupid, but so are a lot of kids. I think that you have to judge a person's overall character and not draw a conclusion based upon a night of stupidity that ended badly for another person that directly caused their own death. I'm not saying whether Carter has been an angel or an imp coming up, I'm saying that sometimes decent people do stupid things, especially young and dumb adults.

2 hours ago, heel31ok said:

It doesnt at all...right and legal are separate matters.How teams react doesnt make it right.

that is not the topic here... if you think every team in the NFL does the "right" thing... then i have some pretty interesting stories to share with you.... Let's start with HoF'r Ray Lewis.

Just now, TheCasillas said:

that is not the topic here... if you think every team in the NFL does the "right" thing... then i have some pretty interesting stories to share with you.... Let's start with HoF'r Ray Lewis.

The list is really long.  Carter is such a talent that he probably will not fall much if at all.  He shows a little remorse, comes up with an excuse or 2 and some team will overlook matters

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 3/1/2023 at 8:36 AM, Mr. Scot said:

I've seen a couple of people say that he still could potentially be charged with manslaughter.

That'd change the game.

(hell, even the threat of that could)

Highly unlikely due to Georgia state laws, even if he was it would be in the second degree which is considered to be a misdemeanor, and given what I've read about the crash would be very difficult for the prosecution to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt", which in my opinion is why the prosecution elected to charge him with Reckless driving and street racing.  These charges will be easier to prove. 

4 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Ok, let's start with Ray Lewis. Go on...

4 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Reminds me of when La'el Collins fell from #2 first round OT to UDFA because he was being questioned by police for a shooting death. Carter is likely in that same group of player alongside Collins and Suh. I believe Jim Caldwell wanted to part ways with Suh as the Lions HC.

He isn't falling to UDFA because of 2 misdemeanors... He just met with the police and paid his bail.  He will pay his fine and move on.

16 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Tyreek Hill had had some legal issues if I remember correctly as well.  Isn't that why he dropped in the draft?

Funny how easy people forget that Tyreek Hill strangulated a woman. He was projected to go mid rounds before his forty time of 4.25 and then that put him in 2nd round territory. About 20 teams were interested in drafting him even after the news broke about his domestic abuse matter. The Chiefs were scrutinized for drafting him but later ... uhh forgiven?  lol.

This is why Jalen Carter's issue at this moment.... should not impact his draft status. It is plausible that this poo poo happens coincidentaly before the draft because a team's resource was able to find dirt that they could leak to get the player to drop into their lap. So you see reports like this bubble up (in this case reopened) and opportunities created. 

As of now... there is nothing in the testimonies or police report that could directly link Jalen to manslaughter, so the charges will remain minimal.  So his draft status probably wont be impacted. 

Although it’s a tragic and horrific situation that involved the loss of two human lives, the NFL angle arises from the potential impact of the charges on Carter’s draft standing. Based on the charges filed to date, the impact should be minimal.

Again, it makes the situation no less tragic. But Carter wasn’t driving the car that crashed. At worst, based on the current charges, he participated in an illegal race that resulted in one of the cars crashing.

Carter has expressed confidence that he will be fully exonerated of any criminal wrongdoing. Even if he isn’t exonerated as to the charges filed to date, it shouldn’t impact him.

Edited by TheCasillas