• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just how successful are the Panther TEs?

MHS831

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

I randomly selected a TE from the starting NFL TE list, and the TE with the #13 receiving grade was chosen (the 11th ranked TE overall in this PFF analysis)--Evan Engram of Jacksonville.  https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2022-tight-end-rankings

To make this fair, I compared his numbers to not only Ian Thomas, but threw in Tommy Tremble, Stephen Sullivan, and even Giovanni Ricci, a TE/FB special teamer.

Cumulatively, the TE position for the 2022 Carolina Panthers

• Ian Thomas (21 receptions, 197 yards, 0 TDs)
  • Tommy Tremble (19 receptions, 174 yards, 3 TDs)
  • Stephen Sullivan (2 receptions, 46 yards, 0 TDs)
  • Giovanni Ricci (8 receptions, 100 yards, 0 TDs)

All Panther TEs: 50 Receptions (2.94 per game), 517 yards (30.4 per game) and 3 TDs (basically, an extra point per game)

Evan Engram:     86 receptions (5.56 per game), 914 yards (53.76 per game) and 6 TDs (over 2 points per game)

Andrew Yang Neon GIF by Josh Rigling

Engram nearly doubled the production of the entire Panther TE roster.  And now you know!

I agree, sorta. It's kinda the way we use our TE's but that's also dictated by the ability of our TE's.

Do we need a Greg Olsen type TE, YES!

34 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

I agree, sorta. It's kinda the way we use our TE's but that's also dictated by the ability of our TE's.

Do we need a Greg Olsen type TE, YES!

Its kinda the way we dont use them.No continuity or rhythm.

I think they got a bad rap and are better than what some are saying.They certainly aren't trash.

Our TEs are extremely successful in a very important way. All of them are making much more money than they would be in a normal 9 to 5 job. Heck, they're successful in the very fact that they are on an NFL roster when so many young men with talent and drive aren't.

From a football per dollar standpoint of the team, though, whew they suck as a group.

• Pie 1

I'm not ready to quit on Tremble. Almost all of his tenure has been under the stink of Rhule. And the little time he got away from Rhule, we became a super run heavy team with Darnold as our starting qb, so how much production can you expect from your TE 2 in that scenario? In the limited touches he gets, he seems to make the most of it. And keep in mind, he was drafted for his blocking prowess and is playing a position which routinely takes a few years to translate to higher production in the NFL. I don't mind going for someone like Gesicki if the price is right but I also would love to see the new offensive staff give Tremble a chance to succeed.

1 hour ago, heel31ok said:

I think they got a bad rap and are better than what some are saying.They certainly aren't trash.

I would actually be fine with tremble, Sullivan and Ricci as 2,3,4 but desparately need an upgrade at 1

1 hour ago, heel31ok said:

None of them would start or even be the number 2 on all but the most desperate of teams. Tremble you might keep because he's cheap depth still on a rookie contract, Thomas is just flat out bad and has years here to prove otherwise in different offenses, and the others are just JAGs. They should all be replaced.

8 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

None of them would start or even be the number 2 on all but the most desperate of teams. Tremble you might keep because he's cheap depth still on a rookie contract, Thomas is just flat out bad and has years here to prove otherwise in different offenses, and the others are just JAGs. They should all be replaced.

Under utilized isnt being bad.He's a good TE.I've seen him make plays when given the opportunity.

6 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

Under utilized isnt being bad.He's a good TE.I've seen him make plays when given the opportunity.

Thomas is bad. He's had every chance to prove he can be a difference maker and has never stepped up. He was Olsen's backup for years and when Olsen went down, TE production took a massive hit and that's with Olsen going down at first contact most of the time.

20 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

No facts to back that up until they play on another team.