• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Verge's 2023 Draft general

Verge

It's that time of the year again! I will keep everything in this thread for ease of everyone. I have been doing a lot of work on the draft and have done a lot of film study. I still have contact with my guy but it has been limited of late as I am busier and busier with life, but thanks so much for your patience! I will drop tidbits I hear about free agency, and the draft here when I can. 

Last years QB rankings: 
1. Malik Willis 
2. Matt Corral 
3. Kenny Pickett 
4. Desmond Ridder 
5. Sam Howell 

This years QB rankings: 
1. Bryce Young 
2. Anthony Richardson
3. CJ Stroud
4. Will Levis 
5. Hendon Hooker 

From what I have heard so far that I have said as much on my twitter account and many people of echoed without my voice is that Carolina is keen on moving up to find a quarterback. #3 seems like the most likely landing spot, but you cannot count #1. It will obviously be tough to move Chicago down that far as they still want an elite player at the position, and moving down with the Colts would allow them to have their pick of Tyree Wilson, Will Anderson, or whoever else they may want. 

Please feel free to drop any questions you may have here! I will try my best to get to them, and I appreciate the support!

• Pie 5
  • Beer 4

Seems like everyone is setting in on those three as the top ones, but far from a consensus on the order. 

Levis seems like he's on a downward slide, though. It might just be my imagination, but I could see him taking a Brady Quinn size slide.

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Seems like everyone is setting in on those three as the top ones, but far from a consensus on the order. 

Levis seems like he's on a downward slide, though. It might just be my imagination, but I could see him taking a Brady Quinn size slide.

I know at least one person who has Levis as their QB1. That was pretty far from my deduction but to each their own.

7 minutes ago, Verge said:

I know at least one person who has Levis as their QB1. That was pretty far from my deduction but to each their own.

That isn’t the Panthers is it.  Because I know one of the guys at the draftnetwork mentioned he heard around there early in the week that the Panthers really liked Levis.

Hi Verge! Thanks for posting.  I imagine the Panthers would have to decide that they will take at least one of three QBs if they move to #3, where #1 would mean they are in love with one player.

So it seems to me that the panthers would have to give up a big time player if they moved up--someone like Derrick Brown if they wanted to get the Bear's attention.  I think the Bears need WR, OL, and DL...

It seems that the Colts will move up to #1, the Panthers to #3--competing with the Raiders, Falcons, possibly the Seahawks--so the question is (and I don't think you have heard much as of this date):

• Who are the colts and Texans in love with?
  • What do you know about Hooker?
  • Are 4 QBs going in the top 8 picks (opinion)?

toodles

• Pie 2

I just keep looking at the costs of moving up and thinking there's no way we mortgage our future for such a gamble. Look at how historically those moves have gone in the last 15 years or so... Jared Goff is the best of those picked and well, that's just disappointing.

And I don't think we're just a QB away, we need TE, DE, LB, S and probably a replacement for Taylor Moton down the road (he will someday be a cap casualty -- tackles are just sooo expensive to retain). We need future first round picks for the savings and that four year rookie contract with the fifth year options for long term survivability.

• Pie 5

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I just keep looking at the costs of moving up and thinking there's no way we mortgage our future for such a gamble. Look at how historically those moves have gone in the last 15 years or so... Jared Goff is the best of those picked and well, that's just disappointing.

And I don't think we're just a QB away, we need TE, DE, LB, S and probably a replacement for Taylor Moton down the road (he will someday be a cap casualty -- tackles are just sooo expensive to retain). We need future first round picks for the savings and that four year rookie contract with the fifth year options for long term survivability.

The Eagles won a Super Bowl a few years after trading for Wentz

The Rams made it as far as we did with Cam in 2015 after trading for Goff.  Then eventually used the guy they traded those picks for.  Used him in a package to get Stafford and Won a superbowl

and your needs already listing “a replacement for Moton down the road”. Is beyond laughable.  Considering we don’t even have a franchise QB.  This proves we have fans comfortable of staying in the hampster wheel of “mid”

we’ve spent 4 years building the roster.  And locking down core pieces like Moton.

Next year it’ll be.  We don’t need a QB, need to start thinking about a replacement for DJ

then Brown in 25

Burns in 26

Ickem in 27

just running in place in that wheel.

yes we need a TE.  Yes we need a LB

good thing you can get those in mid rounds.  You aren’t getting a franchise top 8 QB in todays NFL in the mid rounds.

Edited by ncfan

Personally, I think everyone is right--just on different sides of the same coin.  It is a huge gamble and it is not always the best move.  Desperate men do desperate things--just watch them at any bar after last call.  We probably fit into the desperate category at worst, the urgent category at best. 

I have read an article about former GM Rick Spielman who compares these top QBs to known commodities. He compares Young to Mahomes-- I see the Mahomes comparison. Spielman said.\, "He does a great job for a small quarterback with his vision down the field. His anticipation and the way he throws the ball and he throws receivers open." Young is very smart and analytical--and I wonder if he is not headed for a stellar career based on his football acumen and willingness to prepare.  His size is his only concern.   

AR-15 is a Cam Newton clone-with more athleticism and maybe even a better arm. However, Spielman points out, "Both possess rare size and athleticism. Have great running ability as well. However, Newton won a lot more games in college, and was much more consistent."  Do we have the coaches to develop him?  Who does? 

The article compares Stroud to Jared Goff, which may seem like a negative if you think they will have identical careers.  "Both prospects were accurate, and possess the necessary arm talent to make all of the throws."

Levis is the college version of Josh Allen.  "Big, strong-armed kids with athletic ability, but have questionable touch and accuracy. Spielman noted that he's comparing Levis to Allen coming out, not the superstar Allen has developed into.

If this were my perspective, I would trade everything I could with the Bears to get Young.  But I understand the GMs are about as divided over this crop of top QBs than ever.  

Me?  I would give a lot of thought into trading back, drafting a TE and WR, and drafting Herndon Hooker.  Is he an example of "out of sight, out of mind?"  I need to know more about him, but his numbers were second to none--and maybe he did not read much-that is what they said about Cam.

• Flames 1

No offense but those QB rankings for the last two years are an atrocious attempt at being edgy. It's like you know what the actual rankings should be but instead list them in a way that will cause response.

Second of all, I don't remember you ever having an draft insight or free agency scoops. All I remember is you acting like you knew something about us landing Deshaun and saying "any day now" over and over.

I will play insider too, we're trading up for Stroud. Spoiler alert. Sorry. It's a done deal. Make sure to tune in next year for more insider info.

• Poo 9

3 minutes ago, GOAT said:

No offense but those QB rankings for the last two years are an atrocious attempt at being edgy. It's like you know what the actual rankings should be but instead list them in a way that will cause response.

Second of all, I don't remember you ever having an draft insight or free agency scoops. All I remember is you acting like you knew something about us landing Deshaun and saying "any day now" over and over.

I will play insider too, we're trading up for Stroud. Spoiler alert. Sorry. It's a done deal. Make sure to tune in next year for more insider info.

You realize you do have the option to not read something and also keep your mouth shut, right? 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Me?  I would give a lot of thought into trading back, drafting a TE and WR, and drafting Herndon Hooker.  Is he an example of "out of sight, out of mind?"  I need to know more about him, but his numbers were second to none--and maybe he did not read much-that is what they said about Cam.

This ^ 100%.

I still think we grab Robinson if he's available at #9. That guy's a weapon that we could really use. Hooker and one of the excellent tight end prospects in the second. Trading back in the first is also not off the table.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

Ah

Another newb who just spouting poo

If you were here long enough.  She’s called the Derrick Brown pick, the Burns pick, the Horn pick. Among many other things.  She isn’t a “panthers” insider.  She has friend(s) who works in the league/front office somewhere.  She hears things.  

QB rankings, she lists them how she thinks where they will go.  Just like when she had Fields was QB4.  And people like you on here.  

“Who are you”

”You know nothing”

”look at this ahahaha”

Then when she was rights. They crawled back down in their cave.  And waited to pounce the first time she was wrong.B5ADD09B-5D80-48C3-A4ED-6C28F5389DD4.thumb.jpeg.7340d837f6c711236aae6ca61573d726.jpeg

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Hi Verge! Thanks for posting.  I imagine the Panthers would have to decide that they will take at least one of three QBs if they move to #3, where #1 would mean they are in love with one player.

So it seems to me that the panthers would have to give up a big time player if they moved up--someone like Derrick Brown if they wanted to get the Bear's attention.  I think the Bears need WR, OL, and DL...

It seems that the Colts will move up to #1, the Panthers to #3--competing with the Raiders, Falcons, possibly the Seahawks--so the question is (and I don't think you have heard much as of this date):

• Who are the colts and Texans in love with?
  • What do you know about Hooker?
  • Are 4 QBs going in the top 8 picks (opinion)?

toodles

1. I will talk to my Houston beat writer and dig more into it, but they seem like a Stroud team
2. I think teams are mixed on him. There is a lot of risk in a 25 year old coming off a major injury from a gimmick offense, but he clearly has a nice skill set. I think he will ultimately go in the third. 
3. I think that is a real possibility