• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: pre free agency article

TheSpecialJuan

1 minute ago, SaltAndPepper said:

My sense is the Panthers — like a lot of other teams — like Richardson’s raw talent, but not enough to draft him high. But if Richardson’s record-setting performance Saturday changed the way other teams view the 6-4, 244-pound athlete, it could bump one of the other guys down a spot.

This is the most interesting nugget imo

It's starting to sound like they may just stay put at 9.

• Pie 2

Excerpts from the article...

First-year coach Frank Reich, who had five veteran quarterbacks in five seasons with the Colts, seems to be driving the Panthers’ pursuit of Carr, although owner David Tepper and his wife, Nicole, were part of last week’s interview, as well.

Carr is said to be seeking a contract worth $35 million a year, and the Panthers seem reluctant to go that high. The Jets are waiting on Aaron Rodgers’ decision, which will have a domino effect on Carr’s market — and those of the other free-agent quarterbacks.

The issue for the Panthers is where they sit in the draft order. They can’t sit at No. 9 and expect to have Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud or Will Levis fall to them.

My sense is the Panthers — like a lot of other teams — like Richardson’s raw talent, but not enough to draft him high. But if Richardson’s record-setting performance Saturday changed the way other teams view the 6-4, 244-pound athlete, it could bump one of the other guys down a spot.

Still, as Fitterer said, if you’re sold on one of the quarterbacks, you have to go up and get him, which means trading away a couple of future first-round picks. There was buzz in Indy the Panthers are interested in swapping spots with Arizona at 3, which would guarantee they’d get one of the top three QBs.

But “you better be right,” Fitterer said. “You better have conviction if you do move up. (Because) when you do that, you’re all in.”

Carr is the safe choice. As mentioned last week, he’s better than the three guys whom Matt Rhule brought in for what became an annual game of musical chairs. And even if you don’t necessarily agree with Reich’s five-year window for Carr, he gives the Panthers a great chance to immediately take control of a bad division.

Whether it’s Carr or a trade up, it would behoove the Panthers to get something done this week so they’ll know where they stand before the March 15 start of free agency.

In addition to Carr, the Panthers had inquired about Rodgers, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said on air last week. Sources with knowledge of the situation said that is not accurate. Fitterer last year called Seahawks general manager John Schneider, his former boss, to ask about Russell Wilson. Schneider essentially told Fitterer not to bother because of Wilson’s intentions to stay out west. But Fitterer apparently hasn’t even made that type of exploratory call with Rodgers.

The Panthers have expressed interest in possibly re-signing Sam Darnold, who is set to become a free agent next week. Darnold played his best football under Steve Wilks down the stretch last season, and it wouldn’t be that surprising if the Panthers considered him as a possible bridge quarterback. But sources said the talks have been preliminary.

“Bozeman is a priority. You can’t have everything you want. But I see him as a leader on our offense,” Reich said. “Obviously, I don’t know him. I just got here. But watching him on film and understanding who he is as a person, you hope that works out.”

Fitterer said he told Foreman during exit interviews that the Panthers wanted to bring him back. “We’d like to get a deal done with him. We’ll see how it goes,” he said. “It’s got to fit for him, it’s got to fit for us.”

When Fitterer was asked last week about the team’s biggest needs other than quarterback, the first position he mentioned was tight end. So Fitterer likely was smiling Saturday when one tight end after another — most of them big dudes — put up impressive times in the 40. Given the deep free-agent class of tight ends, this is a good year to be a team needing a difference-maker at the position.

The next position Fitterer pointed to was wide receiver, and has said previously he’d like a wideout who can take the top of the defense. So it makes sense the Panthers have shown interest in Chiefs free-agent receiver Mecole Hardman, who ran a 4.33 40 in 2019 before Kansas City took him in the second round. Hardman, who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie, would be a nice complement to DJ Moore. Hardman should have plenty of suitors, with Spotrac projecting a four-year, $41.6 million contract for the former Georgia wideout.

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's starting to sound like they may just stay put at 9.

If so, BPA or trade back in R1 perhaps?  Would love to see Mayer/Washington in R1 and then trade back up into late first for Hooker but, I’m just another fan so what do I know.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

If so, BPA or trade back in R1 perhaps?  Would love to see Mayer/Washington in R1 and then trade back up into late first for Hooker but, I’m just another fan so what do I know.

Not sure. I suppose it will depend on whether they sign Carr or not.