• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Ravens can’t be this dumb? They’re a smart organization right?

TheBigKat

17 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I just want to say that from everything I've seen, Lamar has been not just an outstanding QB but also a really positive part of the Baltimore community. I mean, the guy has publicly and on the field been everything an organization wants out of a franchise QB.

So, back to my statement, why won't the Ravens give him what should be an expensive but reasonable (considering the state of the NFL pay levels) contract? Is there something healthwise that we don't know about? Are they looking at that long-term 100% guaranteed part and thinking there is no way he'll still be on the field at the end, when they are still forced to be paying him?

That's a good team with an excellent front office and they are saying that the cost is too high for them...  

I think the Ravens give Lamar the non-exclusive tag and here's why:

1. The Ravens are up against the cap. Giving LJ the non-exclusive tag means they won't have to cut as many guys from their roster to reach the cap, which they have to do by March 15.

2. Although LJ is then eligible to negotiate with other teams, the Ravens have a right to match the offer.

3. The price for a team wishing to sign LJ is two 1st round picks. That means the Ravens would receive an additional pick this year and next. If they like one of the QBs this year, they could then draft one for a lot less money then LJ would require AND/OR position themselves for a QB option next year.

4. I get the feeling the Ravens don't think LJ is going to take them to the Super Bowl. If that's the case, it makes more sense to get something for him now and not make a long-term commitment to a QB that can't take that final step.

It would be a smart move by the Ravens.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Raleigh PF said:

I think the Ravens give Lamar the non-exclusive tag and here's why:

1. The Ravens are up against the cap. Giving LJ the non-exclusive tag means they won't have to cut as many guys from their roster to reach the cap, which they have to do by March 15.

2. Although LJ is then eligible to negotiate with other teams, the Ravens have a right to match the offer.

3. The price for a team wishing to sign LJ is two 1st round picks. That means the Ravens would receive an additional pick this year and next. If they like one of the QBs this year, they could then draft one for a lot less money then LJ would require AND/OR position themselves for a QB option next year.

4. I get the feeling the Ravens don't think LJ is going to take them to the Super Bowl. If that's the case, it makes more sense to get something for him now and not make a long-term commitment to a QB that can't take that final step.

It would be a smart move by the Ravens.

I get what you're saying but bro look at that offense around him.

What QB is taking that offense to a SB?

It goes both ways. We expect Lamar to take a weak supporting cast to a SB. Meanwhile other QB's with a lot more can't even take a team to the playoffs.

My question to you is what have the Ravens put around him for him to take a major paycut?

If you trying to save money at least use the money to get him weapons. They haven't done that.

9 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I get what you're saying but bro look at that offense around him.

It goes both ways. We expect Lamar to take a weak supporting cast to a SB. Meanwhile other QB's with a lot more can't even take a team to the playoffs.

My question to you is what have the Ravens put around him for him to take a major paycut?

If you trying to save money at least use the money to get him weapons. They haven't done that.

No one has asked him to take a pay cut. Even on the non-exclusive tag, he'll get a significant raise.

The Ravens are in a tough spot. They can't afford to pay free agents if they keep Lamar because they will be over the cap with the franchise tag. In fact, they'll have to cut people. So even if we agree that he doesn't have talent around him, whatever his salary turns out to be will restrict them from improving.

Just now, Raleigh PF said:

No one has asked him to take a pay cut. Even on the non-exclusive tag, he'll get a significant raise.

The Ravens are in a tough spot. They can't afford to pay free agents if they keep Lamar because they will be over the cap with the franchise tag. In fact, they'll have to cut people. So even if we agree that he doesn't have talent around him, whatever his salary turns out to be will restrict them from improving.

You answered none of my questions.

What have the Ravens put around for him to want to stay on a lesser deal?

133 mil guaranteed was the reported number they offered him.

Just to give you a few QB's who make more than that offer Wilson 165mil guaranteed, Kyler Murray 189 mil guaranteed. 

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

Just to give you a few QB's who make more than that offer Wilson 165mil guaranteed, Kyler Murray 189 mil guaranteed. 

I answered your questions. Not my fault if reading comprehension is an issue.

You seem determined to make a point about the Ravens being big ol' meanies who aren't treating Jackson like they should. I tend to look at it more like a business transaction. I don't care what the Ravens are offering or what Lamar would like to get. I'm trying to read between the lines to understand if it's likely a deal gets done and I just don't see it likely that one will. 

2 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Exactly m, it doesn’t have to be fully guaranteed, he just wants more than 133. I’m sure he wants fully guaranteed (obviously) but I imagine he realizes that isn’t likely. I hope the team tries to get him but if not, trade you and get a rookie. 

• Pie 1