• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Ravens can’t be this dumb? They’re a smart organization right?

TheBigKat

2 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

I think the Ravens give Lamar the non-exclusive tag and here's why:

1. The Ravens are up against the cap. Giving LJ the non-exclusive tag means they won't have to cut as many guys from their roster to reach the cap, which they have to do by March 15.

2. Although LJ is then eligible to negotiate with other teams, the Ravens have a right to match the offer.

3. The price for a team wishing to sign LJ is two 1st round picks. That means the Ravens would receive an additional pick this year and next. If they like one of the QBs this year, they could then draft one for a lot less money then LJ would require AND/OR position themselves for a QB option next year.

4. I get the feeling the Ravens don't think LJ is going to take them to the Super Bowl. If that's the case, it makes more sense to get something for him now and not make a long-term commitment to a QB that can't take that final step.

It would be a smart move by the Ravens.

The Ravens are known for smart moves. They will come out ahead on this. 

I just think that sometimes the smart move at the table is to let the other guys play out the hand when you don't know what all the cards are.

21 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

The salary cap is a MYTH

$250 million guaranteed is like $250 to Tepper

2 first round picks for a top 5 NFL QB in his prime is a fleecing 

what am I missing

Running QB lifespan.

Willingness to play hurt.

If you pay, does he play?

Mine not NFL; you can only do one or the other- Huge contract without picks OR prime picks for a "discount" contract. You can not do both. 

Plus since the video game MVP season, lamar shown hes mortal in the following years. Hes not running as much too and thats what kills Ds. Then theres "is it lamar or WR for the poor stats??". Many WRs have not had a good time playing with him. In order to get paid, you need big stats and with lamar at QB thats not happening much (unless you are TE andrews). Hollywood Brown forced his way out of there and they were bros. Lookup what he said about the whole deal.

I mean didnt you caught the baker&Rhule(??) lead team against lamar, until 8 minutes leftd the sad cats were right there for the win while playing awful. 

• Pie 1

37 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

The salary cap is a MYTH

$250 million guaranteed is like $250 to Tepper

2 first round picks for a top 5 NFL QB in his prime is a fleecing 

what am I missing

How this tag works

Another team has to negotiate a contract taking in to account the automatic loss of two first round picks. Then the Raven just match it or not. If no contract is negotiated and no takers then the Ravens get him for a year at a bargain compared to the exclusive tag.

1 minute ago, Call Me James said:

Why, the Ravens still have to negotiate against what Jackson believes he’s worth?

They'd get him for the year below the exclusive tag rate while also negotiating with someone who found out his asking price was too much