• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

JOE PERSON: Panthers will not pursue Lamar Jackson

TheSpecialJuan

The gripe among Ravens fans is that he has missed 11 games the last two years and has never played a full season in 5 years. He’s only getting older and his style of play takes a toll on his body. (plus the whole getting sick every year thing) 

Cam was much bigger and by 27-28 you started seeing wear. I think he was 27 when he had his first shoulder surgery. 

Plus you have a lot of Ravens fans that think he doesn’t fully  invest in himself on prep and health whether there is merit to it or not, if that’s how he is while trying to earn a contract, imagine how he is when every dollar is guaranteed.

29 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

The gripe among Ravens fans is that he has missed 11 games the last two years and has never played a full season in 5 years. He’s only getting older and his style of play takes a toll on his body. (plus the whole getting sick every year thing) 

Cam was much bigger and by 27-28 you started seeing wear. I think he was 27 when he had his first shoulder surgery. 

Plus you have a lot of Ravens fans that think he doesn’t fully  invest in himself on prep and health whether there is merit to it or not, if that’s how he is while trying to earn a contract, imagine how he is when every dollar is guaranteed.

This is nonsense. The gripe amongst ravens fans is the team hasn’t gotten a deal done and will potentially lose him forONLY. 2 first round picks.

It is weird how many teams came out immediately to say that they weren't interested. Do I think it's a conspiracy to deny Lamar his bag....not sure. 

For me as a Panthers fan and/or if I put my GM cap on:

• If you grab your QB via a trade/FA and commit cap to him, you then are forced to pretty much build via the draft, so the upside is that you have draft capital to do so with. 
  • If you grab your QB via the draft, you lose picks, so you build around the QB on a rookie deal with the money you have in FA/trades. 

In this situation, you are giving up on both ends.....for a recently injured mobile QB....that would cost 20% of your cap. You have to add 54 other players with 80% of the cap.....and you're out two first round picks.

We are not a Lamar Jackson away from winning it all, so for these reasons......Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

Interesting to note, his most recent injury occurred in the pocket. Link

The injury occurred at the end of the first quarter on a 2nd-and-seven. Baltimore called a play-action pass but before the play could develop, Denver OLB Jonathan Cooper was in the backfield. Jackson attempted to escape the pocket as Cooper dragged him down from behind. Jackson’s left knee was driven into the ground when Cooper landed on top of his back“

If I recall correctly, his injuries have occurred either in the pocket or as he was escaping, NOT while he was a runner. Yes, his injuries does affect his mobility, but he’s a better passer than many give him credit for. I think it’s asinine to not at least inquire about him, as the draft capital would be less. Yes, the financial impact would be so much greater, but I don’t see why we (or someone) wouldn’t step up to the plate and guarantee more cash than Murray or Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

For me as a Panthers fan and/or if I put my GM cap on:

• If you grab your QB via a trade/FA and commit cap to him, you then are forced to pretty much build via the draft, so the upside is that you have draft capital to do so with. 
  • If you grab your QB via the draft, you lose picks, so you build around the QB on a rookie deal with the money you have in FA/trades. 

In this situation, you are giving up on both ends.....for a recently injured mobile QB....that would cost 20% of your cap. You have to add 54 other players with 80% of the cap.....and you're out two first round picks.

Good analysis...

The second option is Fitterer's preferred MO

4 hours ago, KBRed said:

No owner is going to want to pay full guarantees to an injury prone quarterback. That's like an owner of a company saying you can have unlimited paid sick days. It would just be insane, which is why the Browns are the Browns.

FWIW, lots of companies have unlimited PTO these days…

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Perhaps. But unlike what some believe here, I don't believe that he's anywhere near done, and even if he sits out a season, he's still a top franchise QB in his prime. 

Lamar has played 5 years on the NFL. One being a unanimous MVP. He’s far from done. He’s 26 lol. 

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

This is nonsense. The gripe amongst ravens fans is the team hasn’t gotten a deal done and will potentially lose him forONLY. 2 first round picks.

You must not know any Ravens fans

1 hour ago, countryboi said:

it feels weird to me to just come out and say we dont want Lamar, like if you feel that way just dont say anything. 

They didn't come out and say anything. Joe Person did and he didn't attribute a quote.

Edited by csx
  • Pie 1