• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB breakdowns by Josh McCown

Martin

24 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

Andy Reid also liked to have a QB to play within the system. See McNabb and Alex Smith.

But he since has drafted a playmaker and improviser at QB and has won two Super Bowls.

I don’t disagree, I just think Stroud is more the type he is looking for.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Whoever it is we pick, they will be coached up.  I think it is Stroud 50% Young 30% Levis 10%, and AR 10%. 

But criticizing (implied) Stroud because his WRs were open when he hits them in the #s is silly.  That could be because the DBs can't predict what Stroud is going to do or that he was not telegraphing.  Who knows.

Nah, Stroud has played with multiple first round WRs.

Like Burrow during that LSU year, all he's done is hit the open guy. You can't really knock him or ask more of him because he operates within the confines of the system - he just happened to be surrounded by tons of talent.

What's going to sell them on Stroud's ceiling is how he does in chalkboard sessions and the feedback they get from the background checks. He checks all the physical boxes (you'd like a stronger arm, but it's good enough), so it's whether he's got the right mental make-up. Is he a driven competitor? Can he dissect his own plays and tell you what he was thinking when he threw that pass?

Same goes for Richardson I feel - although you're projecting more cos you're relying on your coaches being able to improve his mechanics (and no he doesn't have to be as accurate as Stroud to succeed in the NFL).

Edited by OldhamA
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, DavidEng said:

Don’t know if this has been posted, but fyi Bryce Young apparently scored high on the S2 Cognitive test for what that’s worth.

https://www.bleachernation.com/nfl/2023/02/25/one-test-hints-this-qb-class-is-exceptional-packers-coaches-skipping-the-combine-and-other-nfl-bullets/

I have said I think Young has the stronger grasp of how to read defenses and process than any of the others.  I know it's all about his height/weight for most here, but I am telling you he will be a great NFL QB.

Maybe Stroud did well on the S2 too.  I really just saw one game where I thought Stroud's pre-snap reads and adjustments stood out and it was against GA where they had a month to prepare.  It doesn't work that way in the NFL.

Either way, I trust the staff we have to make the right choice! 

• Pie 6

1 hour ago, Rocky Davis said:

I have said I think Young has the stronger grasp of how to read defenses and process than any of the others.  I know it's all about his height/weight for most here, but I am telling you he will be a great NFL QB.

Maybe Stroud did well on the S2 too.  I really just saw one game where I thought Stroud's pre-snap reads and adjustments stood out and it was against GA where they had a month to prepare.  It doesn't work that way in the NFL.

Either way, I trust the staff we have to make the right choice! 

Yeah, tbh I’m a little skeptical as to how well the S2 Cognitive computer based test translates to on field performance without seeing past data for ALL the QBs to compare with actual performance.

Also the article said Young has been taking that test since 10th grade, well you’re going to get better on any repeated test the more times you take it.

Agree that the Panthers will make the decision that way we absolve ourselves of any blame lol

Edited by DavidEng
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

AR is still a project.  He finished 13 out of 14 last year in SEC completion percentage, although AR will tell you that his receivers dropped too many balls, which is probably true, although it seems unbrotherly to throw his brothers under the bus like that.  As well, AR didn't even finish in the top 100 in the nation for FSB quarterback pass completion percentage.  

https://www.gatorsports.com/story/sports/college/football/2023/03/03/florida-gators-qb-anthony-richardson-speaks-at-nfl-combine/69967031007/

Former Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson spoke for 15 minutes at the NFL combine in Indianapolis on Friday morning, and he didn't mince words when asked about his completion percentage during his senior year at Florida.

Richardson's completion percentage of 53.8 percent (176 of 327) ranked 13th among 14 SEC quarterbacks last season, ahead of only Auburn's Robby Ashford.

"I can definitely get better and delivering the ball and helping my guys up," Richardson said. "But I also can't catch every pass. If I could, I would, definitely. But it's also helping guys out and helping guys help me."

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player-stat/completion-percentage

Here's a free Florida Gators football message board and I've copied and pasted an analysis of AR from one of their fans.  

https://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/threads/nfl-scouts-suggest-ar’s-poor-performance-was-cbn’s-fault.574433/

Not very good at reading defenses. Inaccurate short passer. Poor decision making even when deciding when to keep it or give to back. Best against man where there’s less reads. Talents off the charts but he’ll need to get a lot better to fulfill NFL expectations. May even ride on his talents for a year or two before NFL defenses figure him out. Blaming Napier opens door for team to pick him as high as they want.

• Pie 1

The 2020 Colts offense was 10th in yards and 9th in points

If you go watch how that offense moved the ball it plays to all of CJ’s strengths

CJ would absolutely cook in that 2020 offense. Reich was able to have success with Rivers whose arm was on its last legs 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

41 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

The 2020 Colts offense was 10th in yards and 9th in points

If you go watch how that offense moved the ball it plays to all of CJ’s strengths

CJ would absolutely cook in that 2020 offense. Reich was able to have success with Rivers whose arm was on its last legs 

CJ seems like the best fit for Reich’s offense. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1