• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Confused Why Some Seem to Think We Got Fleeced

Daddy_Uncle

3 hours ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

1 first
2 seconds
DJ Moore

That's not a lot to give up for the #1 pick. WRs are easier to get than QBs. We have messed around with the QB situation for years and it hasn't worked. Now we have OUR choice. Not whoever is left over. We control this draft. 

I would have expected to give up more to get to #1 from #9. 

Because they 

like being miserable 

think a season can be thrown 

always think next year’s class is better than this one and we can move up then

think a team will give up assets for nothing 

think an average wide receiver 1 is  all world.   

they know more than a coaching staff that has 7 Super Bowl rings and 

actually played in the league 

im thrilled.  They took a calculated risk now to make the franchise relative again good for them. Good for the fans.  

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, FugginPoo said:

We are got this done because the Bears needed a sure thing receiver for Fields now and there is no guarantee the draft picks workout into sure things

exactly. this is why Chicago traded with Carolina and not Indy or Houston

17 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

For the record, I don't think we got fleeced, but I don't like the deal because history says it's unlikely to be worth it in the end. The price was to move up was low to reasonable given what one might have expected Chicago to demand, but I am not optmisitic that Stroud or Young or whomever will now be in a great position to succeed long term.

They do seem to be able to step into throwing behind a decent offensive line, but with both DJ and CMC gone now, who is the offensive weapon that will make a young QB's job easier? Oh and over the next 3 drafts including this one, we just gave up several of the most valuable picks we might use to acquire such weapons.

Devil's advocating my own post, most years quality WR's can be had in FA, just not this year, and solid RB's do not require first or second round picks, so all is not lost. I'd love to see them use one of their highest remaining picks this year to get a promising TE prospect if one is available.

Not a single available FA is an upgrade to DJ. Fleecerer got fleeced again. 

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

I think we get a vet TE like Schultz and draft a WR like Downs/Hyatt at 39. Together they can help offset the Moore loss and Schultz can be a nice safety need for our rookie QB.

• Pie 1

It’s honestly tiring listening to folks on here bitch and moan about giving up draft capital + DJ to move up to 1, when their ideal solution is either to stay at 9 and take whatever QB leftover we can get (not considering there are 4 QB needy teams ahead of us), or sign a vet retread and see if it just miraculously works this time. 

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

Its a reset for everyone. New coaching regime. New QB. Great cap situation. DJ was good, but his productivity can be replaced and we didnt do him any favors with the QB carousel. 

Our QB is going to have a solid line and legit running game, and a stingy defense. Its the best thing you can do for a rookie QB. We can address WR by bringing out the checkbook. 

We're gonna get our guy. We can finally stop worrying about QB for the next 10 years at least. 

Just now, travisura said:

It’s honestly tiring listening to folks on here bitch and moan about giving up draft capital + DJ to move up to 1, when their ideal solution is either to stay at 9 and take whatever QB leftover we can get (not considering there are 4 QB needy teams ahead of us), or sign a vet retread and see if it just miraculously works this time. 

Paying whatever you have to pay to swing for the fences never fails. Look at Coach of the Year Matt Rhule. 

By the way, I haven’t seen anyone advocating for signing a vet retread again. 

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

And Shockey. Doesn’t matter for me, personally, though, because if Levis’ name is on that card, I’m out and rooting for Reich to get fired as soon as possible. 

I would be extremely surprised if it’s Levis at 1. If we trade back down to 3 (don’t see this happening) then Levis is a real option.

5 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

i'm talking about the long term outlook for the drafted QB's success, which looks beyond merely this year's FA crop. I'd agree there is no immediate upgrade to DJ, but that does not mean quality FA WR's won't be available in the next couple of years.

I don't think anyone could reasonably expect whoever we draft to lead us to immediate SB glory next year, so thinking in terms of the next few years seems valid. in that regard, i'm concerned that we just gave away a substantial chunk of our assets that could help put offensive weapons in place, but acknowledging that there are still avenues to doing so. it's just that the margin for error got smaller. Miss on a FA next year, or first round WR the year after, and the risk you leave the QB you traded up to get with poor offensive weapons gets a lot bigger a lot faster.