• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Confused Why Some Seem to Think We Got Fleeced

Daddy_Uncle

Did we really get fleeced though?

I was thinking about this last night. We basically only gave up a 1st rd pick. The 1st this year is swapped so it cancels out since we have the #1 pick.

A 1st/2nd/DJ Moore for our franchise QB. Most predicted it would take 3 future 1st round picks to move up to the #1 pick. We basically got it done with 1 future 1st.

The question is did we fleece Chicago? That will depend on how great the QB we draft turns out.

I think it was a fair trade on both sides. You want the #1 pick you have to give up assets. Anyway, we will not know who really won the trade for another 2-3 years. Carolina is banking on the QB they draft being successful. Chicago is banking making the right picks with the draft capital they got back. Chicago is also hoping Carolina will have a bad record in 23, since they will be without their top WR, hopefully starting a rookie QB and new coaching staff. Personally, I hope whichever QB you select has a great career after 2025.

• 8 months later...
On 3/12/2023 at 11:36 AM, bandu said:

yeah I agree ...but at the same time you have to think realistically okay then  that this team is not going to win alot of games next year & especially with a rookie Qb starting.

so realistically one would have to think think this team has no better record this season coming up than this past one.sending next year at least a top #5 pick back to the Bears next year possibly even  the #1 overall right back to them

yeah we got fleeced...just saying

• Beer 3
  • Flames 2

On 3/11/2023 at 7:27 AM, Carl Spackler said:

Because Fitterer will choose the wrong player. 

Oh how right you are.

EDIT: My god you literally hit the nail on the head with each post you had in here. All your predictions pretty much turned out exactly as you expected.

From Kyler Jr. being bad to how any WR fitterer acquires being a dud, sheesh, that's incredible.

At that time I was in asheville high on hopium, but damn you really saw through it all.

Edited by Saca312
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

On 3/11/2023 at 8:15 AM, Carl Spackler said:

I'm still not happy with it because of the player being given up, but that's the only way I can justify the deal in any way.

Forfeiting picks matters less when you choose the right player, but when you don't, you're ending up with egg on your face and even more embarrassment for a franchise that, bar December of last year, has collected it like pollen on a car for years. 

In short: yeah, I'd get it. Still wouldn't be crazy about it, but it beats the alternatives of having lousy QB play and overpaying for garbage WRs. That part's coming next regardless.

Some serious incredible foresight. Acknowledging Stroud would be the only good option and that all others would bum out. 

3 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Some serious incredible foresight. Acknowledging Stroud would be the only good option and that all others would bum out. 

SMH. I’m likely done in here for a while but Fitterer literally ended any chance of being competitive for a few years or even started us in a Browns/Lions decade+ run. I don’t care about Tepper being involved. It’s Fitterer many of us wanted sacked with Rhule because even with Rhule having the last say, Fitterer showed nothing good. All the people who said give him more rope should realize he destroyed this team. We have no coach, no GM, no QB, no Moore, no CMC, no TE, no LT, no interior OL, no extension or haul for Burns, no 2024 1st overall pick, no 2025 2nd and no depth/young talent from the past three drafts.

@Carl Spackler was dead on, as were a bunch of us who followed the drafts and hated our results. We 100% could have had this team chock full of talent if we didn’t do the trades that Fitterer did and we picked the guys that us huddlers liked way more than who Fitterer actually drafted.

To say that Fitterer has been an unmitigated disaster is the understatement of the decade.

• Pie 3

On 3/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly the price doesn't feel THAT extreme. I think both teams can feel pretty good about the deal they made. Now it's time to see how it all plays out. Sometimes the "winners" of a trade end up not winning when it's all said and done. The Chargers got an absolute haul from the Giants for Manning and hit some home runs with those picks but when it was all said and done the Giants won two SBs and the Chargers rarely kade any noise in the postseason.  Gimme them rangs.

Well, it's playing out. The game isn't over but right now it's looking like that Alabama/TCU national championship game and we ain't wearing crimson red.

El .Oh. El.

And the amount of heat that we took, not necessarily in just this thread but overall, for even daring to suggest that this plan and staff may not be a world-beating one (among other things)... ooh boy. 

I will say though that this thread was pre-draft and had the team taken Stroud I don't think the future would be looking as dim. Alas, that's not how it played out.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 4

There were so many confused people that supported all of those bad decisions. The coaching staff, the trade and the pick. None were good but at the time it was like the team had won the offseason. No one wanted to hear it then and wow is it bad now.

How the fug do you make that trade and not the Burns trade? Insanity

• Beer 2

I stayed far AWAY from this thread as possible.  I didn't like the trade up from the rip and then didn't like who we took with the pick.  I knew, in true Huddle form, If I had voiced my opinion about this whole thing it would be looong battle uphill.  Therefore, I just dodged it entirely.  Credit to Carl S. for speaking up and taking the time to take the heat.  I try to avoid multi-page pissing match threads.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1