• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Confused Why Some Seem to Think We Got Fleeced

Daddy_Uncle

7 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

If Moore's such a replaceable target, why could we not find someone 1/10 as good, and why did Chicago covet him so much?

Ask yourself from the opposite side though….why does A+ coaching staff feel that he’s worth trading away in order to get a guy who has everything they believe needed in order to turn him into a franchise QB. 

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Ask yourself from the opposite side though….why does A+ coaching staff feel that he’s worth trading away in order to get a guy who has everything they believe needed in order to turn him into a franchise QB. 

Because they're looking like they're not the A+ coaching staff I thought they were.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Joe Banner believes that we got a bargain.

Anthony Rizzuti of Panthers Wire referenced a Joe Banner interview by The 33rd Team in which Banner says

"Carolina did what they needed to do. I actually think they underpaid and solved their QB problem. I applaud Carolina."

D.J. Moore is a central part of Banner's argument, and he honestly has said some of the same things that some of us here have said for years. 

“So Moore is an important part of the trade,” he said via The 33rd Team on Friday night. “They [the Bears] got a quality player and a favorable contract—there’s no doubt about that. But we shouldn’t now start exaggerating what he is.

“Teams that have true No. 1 elite difference-making [wide receivers] have something that—I’m not even somebody who puts as much weight as people do in the value of wide receivers. But a true difference-making A.J. Brown, [DeAndre] Hopkins in his prime, [Justin] Jefferson today—those guys can make a big, big difference in games. That is not what Moore is.

“Now, I’m not bad-mouthing him. He’s a good player. Everything I hear, he’s a quality person. He is something they definitely need if they’re gonna have a chance to prove that [Justin] Fields is the guy. But let’s keep in perspective what he is—he’s a quality starter as opposed to a difference-making elite wide receiver.”

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/11/nfl-executive-joe-banner-panthers-bears-trade-dj-moore-2023-draft-no-1-pick/

I do acknowledge that there are others who think that we got fleeced because of Moore, but even most of those believe that if we hit on our franchise QB that we won't care what we gave up, nor should we.

Edited by top dawg

This trade was probably realistically our best outcome.

1. We kept our high 2nd round pick - I don't think all the pundits panning the trade realized that. ESPN on the trade grade said this trade left the Panthers without a 2nd round pick this year.

2. Not giving away a 2025 1st gives us the chance for a quick reset. Let's say our rookie QB bombs. Well we're not going to trade this much and give up on him after 1 year. But if he's not showing any improvement after year 2 and our team sucks, we can draft his replacement in 2025.

3. The competition to draft a rookie was so high that it inflated the value of all the top picks. Moving up to 3 probably wouldn't have been a huge discount and we'd be stuck with the 3rd QB. Look at what San Francisco gave up in a year with less teams angling for a rookie qb. 

4. While losing Moore is sad, we took advantage of Chicago's desperation to improve their receivers and got probably the most value out of him. Realistically, I have to think Chicago would've wanted our 2025 1st and the higher 2nd round pick this year. Adding Moore increased our leverage significantly and gave us the heads up over the other teams trying to trade up.

• Pie 2

Depending how you view this trade will determine the winner.

If Stroud or Young absolutely crush it out the gate? We won. We have picks to nab a solid receiver this draft and get depth in spots we need it. Potentially elite level QBs are hard to come by.

On the other hand, the Bears got another solid receiver to add to their offense and draft picks to help out their OL and defense. They have a lot of potential moving forward because of this trade, and they only lost 8 spots to do it.

We didn't give up much to move to 1, but from a Chicago perspective, I guess they view it as they gained a lot so we must have been fleeced. All in how you value it.