• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Confused Why Some Seem to Think We Got Fleeced

Daddy_Uncle

6 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I had an expectation that if you're trading to No. 1, you know who you want and you don't mind leaking it.

This is the first time in NFL history that's not been the case, and since it's a David Tepper-owned team, it's not surprising in the least.

The FO is being coy about releasing any details, even with the 1 pick. They’re still throwing smokescreens about “being open” to trading down from 1. I’m not sure what their long game is but I’m not willing to preemptively call it a failure. 

Think it was an excellent trade. 

have we all seen our qb situation the last 4 years? I mean hell at least we're trying

i just pray its not richardson. dude is hot garbage and I hope his combine results doesn't blind fitterer into picking him

2 minutes ago, TF330 said:

Think it was an excellent trade. 

have we all seen our qb situation the last 4 years? I mean hell at least we're trying

i just pray its not richardson. dude is hot garbage and I hope his combine results doesn't blind fitterer into picking him

It’s not going to be Richardson. I could see him if we stuck at 9 or maybe if we went up to 5ish, but #1 has to play soon. Richardson will need time, I don’t think there’s any debating that. He would also be just way too risky to be giving up all those picks for. 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I had an expectation that if you're trading to No. 1, you know who you want and you don't mind leaking it.

This is the first time in NFL history that's not been the case, and since it's a David Tepper-owned team, it's not surprising in the least.

The hope is to scare Houston enough to trade to one for Young so we can recoup a pick or two and still get our guy Stroud. We gain absolutely nothing by announcing our intentions. This is smart.

• Pie 1

Cause a WR of DJ caliber is worth more and it’s not easy to come by. Go look at all the receivers we have drafted over the decade DJ is the only one that got a second contract, now we are gonna be looking and hoping to replace him with another WR.

And if there was a really great QB in this draft the bears would have drafted him 

39 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

i mean it hasn't even been a day yet and we have 7 weeks to go, why does it it matter if they come out and say who they want or not now?

them not saying doesn't mean they don't already have their minds made up

1 minute ago, TF330 said:

i mean it hasn't even been a day yet and we have 7 weeks to go, why does it it matter if they come out and say who they want or not now?

them not saying doesn't mean they don't already have their minds made up

Children are impatient. They have not settled on one just yet. They will attend each pro day and get together afterwards to hash it out. 

2 hours ago, Varking said:

You’re asking the wrong guy. I didn’t want to give up DJ. He’d help a new QB out and if grabbing WR was so simple, as you said, we would have had a number 2 close in talent and production to DJ already. 

Id rather give up something else but you’re asking Chicago to drop to 9 so you have to give a little something extra. We don’t have too many guys on the roster with that kind of value. So unfortunately it was DJ who had to go. 

I agree with this, @Varking.  The second paragraph is the kicker.  I hate giving up DJ since he is the only WR or TE we have that has even halfway proven his worth as a receiver, but the Bears probably would have preferred to stay in the top 5-7 picks, too.

The Bears need receivers (and a lot else).  Their problem is the QB they believe is the future is now entering year three, and they either put some weapons around him or he will be in contract two before they prove whether or not he really is the answer for them.  They have done that before and it did not result in success.

If we drafted (or heaven forbid, still do) anybody other than Stroud or Young it is going to be at least a year before there was any positive impact, anyway.  That could still be the case with Stroud or Young.  DJ might not be a major factor if and when a lower-tier QB produces any results.

More than a whiz-bang WR, we need a TE who can catch.....desperately.  If we look at the top teams, they all have TEs that are there when the QB needs them, and the two in the Owl this year had TEs that are as dangerous as WRs (not for bombs, but for significant gains in the clutch).  It has always been that way in this league.

I had hopes DJ may emerge under a coaching staff that understood how to scheme receivers open.  That hope applies to the rest of our receiving corps (albeit to a lesser degree because they are pretty unproven). 

We did not get fleeced on this deal, even though losing DJ is hard.  Now we need to see who they draft (my bet is Stroud) and what they do in FA and the draft to give him receivers.  Personally, I see more of a chance an impact TE is still on the board when we draft in the second than a frightening WR.  But, they don't ask me, which is probably just as well.

• Pie 1

Honestly the price doesn't feel THAT extreme. I think both teams can feel pretty good about the deal they made. Now it's time to see how it all plays out. Sometimes the "winners" of a trade end up not winning when it's all said and done. The Chargers got an absolute haul from the Giants for Manning and hit some home runs with those picks but when it was all said and done the Giants won two SBs and the Chargers rarely kade any noise in the postseason.  Gimme them rangs.