• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We need a ‘Point Guard’

KBRed

We’ve discussed this a little, but I think it’s obviously a little more magnified with the #1 pick. 

In Josh McCown’s evaluation of Bryce Young, he referenced his style of play as being a ‘Point Guard’. 

In Reich’s presser, he mentioned needing a QB that was a ‘Point Guard’. 

Do we have our answer already as to who we are picking? Or was this just a coincidence?

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, KBRed said:

We’ve discussed this a little, but I think it’s obviously a little more magnified with the #1 pick. 

In Josh McCown’s evaluation of Bryce Young, he referenced his style of play as being a ‘Point Guard’. 

In Reich’s presser, he mentioned needing a QB that was a ‘Point Guard’. 

Do we have our answer already as to who we are picking? Or was this just a coincidence?

Going on just that, it would seem that the Panthers could be leaning toward Bryce Young but a common sense approach would lead one to think they  select C.J. Stroud.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Not all point guards play the same, could still be either Young or Stroud.

The words about Young were just public prior to him being a QB coach. I don’t think that means that McCown doesn’t think Stroud has that same “point guard” type ability and has likely used the same verbiage talking about him to Reich.

McCown said at the end of Stroud’s evaluation that people probably have Bryce as the #1 pick but by draft time that may change to Stroud depending on the needs of the team and the type of offense. 

Edited by CLG

Personally I think we need a top flight midfielder, or maybe even a solid bowler.

Why do basketball commentators insist on using the term quarterback to describe point guards, while football commentators go on about point guard like quarterbacks?

My theory is a lame attempt to mask their limited abillity to describe the position using the actual terms for the game their commenting on, which is, not to put too fine a point on it, the thing they are actually paid to do and largely suck at.

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Young is the better QB. I don’t think that is in question. The question is he durable enough for a long NFL career?

If Young leads the Panthers to back to back winning seasons and a superbowl win, then he could only last 3-5 years and it would have been worth the trade.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

If Young leads the Panthers to back to back winning seasons and a superbowl win, then he could only last 3-5 years and it would have been worth the trade.

That’s the dilemma right? Do you take the Better QB who is most likely going to have injury issues, or do you take a ‘lesser’ QB who is less likely to have those issues?

I’ve been on the Stroud train since the fall, but I’m starting to think the Panthers are going to go Young because of his intelligence.

• Pie 1