• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

W/O the GA game do u take CJ?

Ivory Panther

3 minutes ago, SZ James (banned) said:

Also the injury liability part is only one facet, size also affects throwing mechanics and the tendency for balls to get batted down. Something that limited even the greats like Brees.

Yeah I think I see it more in his deep ball like I’ve said earlier than I do in his middle is the field passing. Just had to put all his mass into deep throws in my eyes.

He definitely gets deeper in the pocket than most guys have to.

I’m honestly kind of excited to see him in the 49ers based offense in Houston if he goes there. I think he’ll be a guy I really enjoy watching because of his improvisation abilities, but I’m also fine to avoid the outlier risk and take Stroud and build around that ball placement and accuracy. It’s beautiful 

25 minutes ago, stan786 said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/weight-and-injuries

This doesn’t prove anything as I’ve said previously but it’s interesting data.

Why would lighter players get hurt less? For QBs some thoughts could be most lighter QBs don’t get featured as rushing threats so it reduces the quantity of hits taken. One of those you feel more comfortable putting larger players into harms way.

Could it do with general forces when they hit the turf, big guys falling so have a lot of force behind it.

No idea all of this is just theories there’s just not enough data on guys Young’s size to decide if it’s a big negative or not, I could look at this data and say it’s a feature not a bug but that would be too far.

In terms of the list of players you posted above I’ll first note technically Bryce is gonna get listed over 200 after that combine weigh in which moves him up a bucket, most players around there probably have their weight inflated though tbh.

It becomes more of a knock on his profile than anything definitive though and in general he’s been a very healthy guy, he missed one game due to that shoulder and came out the next week and took a beating in probably the best game of the Season tape wise for him vs Tennessee and looked no worse for wear.

I just don’t understand why people who aren’t worried about his size as much get so downplayed in this thread. There’s as much data out there for both camps. I get he’s somewhat of an outlier but the rest of his skills make up for that by miles imo.

That's interesting but that's for all position groups. Still good data to ponder on though. There just isn't enough to go on with this situation specifically as it pertains to Young. One or both of these QB's in Stroud and Young will go on to do big things. It would be a shame if we took one of them and things didn't go our way while the other became a star for another winning starved franchise.

• Beer 1

Just now, frankw said:

That's interesting but that's for all position groups. Still good data to ponder on though. There just isn't enough to go on with this situation specifically as it pertains to Young. One or both of these QB's in Stroud and Young will go on to do big things. It would be a shame if we took one of them and things didn't go our way while the other became a star for another winning starved franchise.

Yeah and I do think there’s something to be said for when you have two options picking the non outlier probably being smarter.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Ivory Panther said:

I don’t see size as a flaw for a QB in todays NFL. That’s why Bryce is my top QB. The rules protect QBs too much. 

but I understand the argument for ppl who think he should be a big deal. 

The referee's aren't diving in front of blindside rushers to protect the QB or something. This is such a stupid argument. Just because a particular type of hit might result in a flag doesn't mean they don't happen. He'll take hits. His size is a concern.

• Beer 1

42 minutes ago, SZ James (banned) said:

Not @ you but because the pro-young crowd will not listen to counterfactuals.

The only defense against his size itt was that the refs are somehow going to shield him from getting steamrolled by a 300lb lineman or award us an automatic first down after the fact. At least you linked a study to go on.

For the record, he got “steamed rolled” by 300pounds linemen in the SEC many many time & was fine.

the idea that 1 hit in the NFL will break him is ludicrous…

• Pie 1

44 minutes ago, SZ James (banned) said:

Also the injury liability part is only one facet, size also affects throwing mechanics and the tendency for balls to get batted down. Something that limited even the greats like Brees.

Hasn’t been an issue in the SEC, I don’t see that changing.

batted balls have more to do with speed of delivery & staring down target than height.

height issue is can u see the middle of the field. Bryce film & stats show he is actually very efficient in the middle of the field. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Ivory Panther said:

For the record, he got “steamed rolled” by 300pounds linemen in the SEC many many time & was fine.

No one said he's gonna get killed after one hit. That wasn't even my point.

To reiterate: You're the dumbass saying that the officials are gonna protect him from getting hit like they're gonna put up some kind of force field around him.

BTW no one here is gonna poo their pants if the FO picks Young over Stroud even we have a preference for Stroud. By now there's been enough success stories in the league to prove that the height issue was overblown in years past. BUT that doesn't mean it isn't something that should absolutely be considered when you are comparing two QBs that are close potentially and skill-wise.

9 hours ago, gmonjimbo said:

My concern with Stroud is whether he can elevate the play of those around him. I think he could flourish on a team like the Falcons that already have a Drake London and Kyle Pitts or Chris Olave and Michael Thomas to throw to. After Harrison JR went out against GA, their offense began to stall a bit.

I think Young has the strongest body of work and played in the toughest conference college football has to offer. Also, playing in a pro-style offense with a former NFL HC, Bill O'Brien as his OC. I'm concerned about his size. However, of all the QB prospects he plays the position (accuracy, processing speed, toughness, etc.) the best.

I'm fine with Stroud at No.1 I just haven't seen anything besides his frame that makes him the better prospect. 

Watch his footwork and perfect delivery of the football.  When skills are similar you take the bigger player.  

Like it or not Young's size is a huge problem, ironically.  

4 hours ago, Ivory Panther said:

Yeah so it's the accumulation of hits, that's the problem.  I get that your a huge Young supporter, and probably a Bama fan.  That's cool.  

9 hours ago, Ivory Panther said:

CJ barely had to make decisions…1st read was usually opened. Body of work was good but the quality of competition in big 10 & top WRs he had make it hard to evaluate.

This is contrary to every analysis available including our QB coach. You ought to watch the analysis he did on Stroud prior to being hired.  Fine to prefer Young but making things up to justify it is too easy to see through 

9 hours ago, Ivory Panther said:

I don’t care for pitch & catch against air.

processing defenses is what’s important for top 5 QBs.

to me QB throw at the combine is similar to WR run the 40. Being fast is needed but can u run routes, can u consistently beat ur defender & catch the ball?

combine is 1 of the tool teams use to evaluate but good teams understand it’s just a small part of the evaluation. 

You can't teach accuracy. He has enough game film to add to his evaluation. No other qb in this draft does what he does at a true NFL size