• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you ask from Houston?

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

Why give them the first choice among the qb's? You've already traded up so use that to pick whoever you want. Don't overthink this.

This. It's not a matter of "oh....I don't know...let's flip a coin I'm good with either one!"

I mean that's where I am, but this coaching staff has an idea of an offensive identity in mind and I'm sure is going over different strategies for both (and I mean both because it's going to be either Stroud or Young). 

Whatever QB they look at, interview, work out....they are going to be discussing afterwards a plan that they have for each. It won't be the same offense for each because  it will be tailored to their strengths, potentials, and current limitations.

Whichever plan they think will be the most successful in the short and long term will be the deciding factor. 

We don't need to be convoluting the process. We didn't trade up to #1 so that we could play a game with the first couple picks. We traded for #1 because we want to make sure when we turn in our card we are going to be getting our first and favorite pick.

That's a luxury we paid for and we can't fug it up 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What's clear from this discussion is that some fans have one favorite and want that guy or nobody, which is fine.

Panicking at the notion that the Panthers might also like someone else though is kinda silly.

Have said numerous times that I trust whomever the staff picks. Others have too but apparently that notion isn't as popular as I thought 😕

I feel for you!  A few years ago, I did an "Ain't likely and you may not want it, but what would you do" thread.  I got the same as you; a million replies saying 'it ain't likely' and 'I don't want it.'

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

It's weird.  I feel like you only trade to #1 if there is one specific guy you actually covet.  So I think our FO and staff know exactly who they want and who they traded up there for.  So, that's where I disagree with Person here...  I don't think they traded there with the idea they like "more than one."  They traded for THE ONE they like.  Now, that being said, I only see us trading back if we have solid Intel that the Texans aren't interested in the guy we want.  If that is the case, I'm taking that 12th pick and running Zay Flowers or Hyatt's card up to the podium.  No hesitation.

My thoughts exactly probably Hyatt because he really can stretch the field hood compliment to big body strong catcher TMJ and our big multi use wr LS hopefully Shi can improve some giving us a solid core to build on.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What's clear from this discussion is that some fans have one favorite and want that guy or nobody, which is fine.

Panicking at the notion that the Panthers might also like someone else though is kinda silly.

Have said numerous times that I trust whomever the staff picks. Others have too but apparently that notion isn't as popular as I thought 😕

I think you're conflating "one favorite" with "higher ranked" in your arguments on this.

Sure, maybe some people are arguing there is only "one guy" that they are okay with, but I think most of us, such as myself, understand the team may be okay with either of two of the QB's.  The difference is that many of us don't think it's worth adding say a 2nd round pick to take someone we're okay with, as opposed to taking the guy we prefer over the other, even if only by a slim margin.

This is the most important position in sports, even if it's the slimmest of margins we have between two guys, I'm not okay with risking the Texans taking that guy we prefer instead of just taking that guy ourselves at #1.

Take specific player arguments out of it, if someone were to say you could have the QB you prefer or a QB you'd be okay with and a 2nd round pick, I'm not sure how anyone can say they're okay with taking your second choice at QB.  Again, if this was about any other position on the field, then yes, trading back is the right call, but it's not, it's about QB, and you just have to go with your top ranked guy in a situation like this.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

As I said earlier today in here, I'm only trading back with the Texans if I'm 1000% sure they're not taking the guy we would take at #1.

And even then, even at 100% sure they're not taking our guy, I'm only taking the risk for #2, #12, and their 2024 1st Rounder, not a single penny less.

I think one important detail people are missing is that the Texans would have to tell us who they’d take at 1 for us to trade with them. It’s gamesmanship, we would have to not tip our hand which QB we’re taking in order to make them think there’s a chance we’d take their guy even though we’d be ok with either, all while knowing exactly who we prefer. 

let's say the PANTHERS covet Stroud but want to make 100% sure because they really like Young.  They did not trade for 1 player definitively, they traded for control to have the time to research this KNOWING they will get the player they covet--I mean, Imagine the prom was coming up and the two best looking girls in the school wanted you to ask them---you would not rush into that decision, even though Veronica has the hot body and curves--and Stepanie is good looking and smart---you have control because they are not accepting another date until you pick.

That never happened to me---I was the guy making those flyers with the pull off tags with my phone number on them--put them in all the ladies rooms--including the faculty ladies room--and the cafeteria ladies' room--fallback insurance.  Spoiler alert:  My cummerbund matched my date's hair net. 

image.jpeg.387df9d1304cb12b05eb4c0814b7f3d8.jpeg

200.gif

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

let's say the covet Stroud but want to make 100% sure because they really like Young.  They did not trade for 1 player definitively, they traded for control to have the time to research this KNOWING they will get the player they covet--I mean, Imagine the prom was coming up and the two best looking girls in the school wanted you to ask them---you would not rush into that decision, even though Veronica has the hot body and curves--and Stepanie is good looking and smart---you have control because they are not accepting another date until you pick.

That never happened to me---I was the guy making those flyers with the pull off tags with my phone number on them--put them in all the ladies rooms--including the faculty ladies room--and the cafeteria ladies' room--fallback insurance.  Spoiler alert:  My cummerbund matched my dates' hair net.  Perhaps I have provided too much information.

image.jpeg.387df9d1304cb12b05eb4c0814b7f3d8.jpeg

Any such trade would almost certainly happen on draft night, on the clock, and we’d know who they’re picking. A team wouldn’t lie about that because then no one would ever trade with them again. 

• Pie 1