• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would you ask from Houston?

Mr. Scot

35 minutes ago, Martin said:

If they sign in agreement that they can’t trade out if the pick and they agree to not take Stroud , then I would consider it. But that is so far fetched. 

Then they would know we are taking Stroud and trading would not be smart--

Why now?  If we like 2 QBs, this gives us complete control to research them objectively and pick the one we want. we are not trading out...No early second round talent is worth missing out on the guy you want with such a critically important pick.  I remember when the Colts had the first pick back in 1998 or so, and they (and the nation) were split between who the Alpha of the draft was --- Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf.  A month before the draft, I bet the Colts did not know.   They made the right call.

Edited by MHS831

If we really think both guys are good enough, then why not. Let Houston have their favorite. I think I’d rather have Young and Flowers or Johnston vs. just Stroud.  And it is 50/50 I’d end up with Stroud and one of the wrs.  We need more than a qb. We need wr, te, and a bunch of pieces on defense. Another early second would really help. 

21 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Yes, perfectly logical if they are a literal and complete tie as to which QB they'd prefer, but it's not logical in the slightest to think they can't find a way to separate them and have a preference.

And yes, I realize they may be comfortable with either, but in the end, these guys are two very different players, to the point where the staff will be able to have one ranked over the other.  

Once you have a preference, I just see no legitimate reasoning to allowing another team to dictate which one we take when it's about the QB position.  To me, that's what it all comes down to in the end, it's the most important position in all of sports and we have the chance now to pick the one we prefer, you make the pick yourself.

No, it doesn't have to be that black and white when there could also be multiple picks on the table that are basically free money and change the balance of the equation. Neither of our opinions are wrong or anything more than speculation, but trading to 2 is absolutely a viable and possibly advantageous course of action.

Edited by KSpan

3 minutes ago, KSpan said:

No, it doesn't have to be that black and white when there could also be multiple picks on the table that are basically free money and change the balance of the equation. Neither of our opinions are wrong or anything more than speculation, but trading to 2 is absolutely a viable and possibly advantageous course of action.

the texans would have to be absolutely certain that either bryce young or cj stroud was head and shoulders better than the other AND that we also wanted the same player to warrant moving up from 2 to 1. really hard to believe that they would give anything up at all in order to make that kind of move

Edited by TF330

I'm not sure what I'd ask for, but I *AM* sure that I'm remaining completely silent and not approaching Houston or letting out any interest in trading (too late) to allow Houston to sweat over what might happen if they really are zeroed in on one guy, knowing they could miss out. If that's the case, they'll approach you in desperation sooner or later. And then, they've shown their hand and it's start the bidding time.

The Panthers have time on their side, and a lot of it, relatively speaking. That period of time could do amazing things in terms of pressure on the Texans. I'd show as indifferent of a face as possible letting the world know we've got our guy.

Again, I know it's too late to poker face it. I don't understand why they'd be so careless to let the possible interest in trading down get out. Ruined so much of their advantage with Houston imho.

• Beer 1

54 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Are you?

The futures of these two QBs are not written in stone.

When I look at Bryce Young and CJ Stroud I don't see equal outcomes.

One or both could fail to realize their potential.  Chances are good at least one won't.

If I'm the Panthers, I'd want to make that final decision, rather than leaving it up to Houston to decide my team's fate.

Own it, Panthers.

Own your decision. 

The Panthers think so.

(which is the whole point)

And yes, they could fail. But that's true regardless of whether you take them at #1 or #2.

12 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Perhaps the most concerning part in all this:

Panthers seemingly are unable to come to a consensus decision for the most critical position on the team. 

Is this a classic example of too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the soup?

Hopefully not.

That's not really true.

It's possible to have more than one franchise quarterback available in the draft. Hell, 83 had several.

They may ultimately settle on just one, but the notion that they have to isn't valid.

Edited by Mr. Scot

I also just feel the need to reiterate, that I don't think the Texans are even interested in this based on them not having already made a trade with the Bears.

Once the Bears had this framework of a trade in place, there is basically a 100% chance they then called the Texans and said, "hey, we have a deal in place to trade the #1 to a QB needy team, but if you'd like to do a pick swap for your 2nd rounder (or maybe more), so you can pick the QB your prefer, we'll do that deal with you."

As they then could have taken that #2 overall pick and offered it to us for a pretty similar trade, likely the same one except for the 2025 2nd rounder.

If the Texans didn't make the trade then, it means they don't have much interest in moving up to #1 when they can keep all their picks and end up with one of the top 2 guys anyways.

To me that is the sticking point in all of this that makes this such a moot argument, as we're not trading down to #4 after all this, just not happening.  So if the Texans didn't trade with the Bears, they're sure as hell not trading with us now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

What's clear from this discussion is that some fans have one favorite and want that guy or nobody, which is fine.

Panicking at the notion that the Panthers might also like someone else though is kinda silly.

Have said numerous times that I trust whomever the staff picks. Others have too but apparently that notion isn't as popular as I thought 😕