• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

National media bias is real

NAS

It is the reason Dan Patrick left ESPN and went out on his own.  He has stated it quite clearly several times over the years.  The networks have certain big market teams that they know generate a national buzz and they are instructed to talk about them for ratings.  We are not a big market team, even though Charlotte continues to grow much more quickly than some of the other markets.  

23 hours ago, KSpan said:

Steve and Luke get a ton of credit and are/were always highly regarded, so while I don't disagree with the general point your inclusion of those two undercuts it.

Also, Carolina has sucked in a boring way (nothing like the Jags/Meyer circus, Hue in Cleveland, etc) while DJ has been in the league and crappy teams don't tend to get attention. Nothing really new there.

Did you see the WRs getting more votes than Smith for the HOF? Andre Johnson? Gtfo.

lol im watching Get Up and 30 minutes into the show they have mentioned nothing about us making a trade. During the opening they said they will discuss how the trade made Chicago a much better team for Justin Fields. They have been discussing Aaron Rodgers and the Jets.

It's a market thing. We just aren't a big enough market to get discussed Nationally. The last time we were a major topic was when we had Cam who was a major personality.

If you looking for Panthers news you shouldn't be watching Nat'l tv.

Edited by CamWhoaaCam
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

Did you see the WRs getting more votes than Smith for the HOF? Andre Johnson? Gtfo.

Yup, total media bias in favor of the hugely successful Houston market. It's the only possible answer and has nothing to do with factors such as their numbers being similar (Steve has more TDs and playoff games to his credit) or Steve being a much more polarizing player for a good portion of his career. None at all.

I think Smith deserves to get in over a guy like Johnson but to cry 'Carolina media bias' is lame.

On 3/12/2023 at 7:55 AM, NAS said:

Cam Newton would have been beloved if he played for Cowboys

No. This guy stole a laptop from a fellow student at UF and then sold his services to the highest bidder at Auburn and then dressed like Harry Styles during press conferences.  He would have been loved by Cowboys fans only. Dak is not beloved either, and he at least seems like a decent guy.  

• Poo 2

Just now, rebelrouser said:

No. This guy stole a laptop from a fellow student at UF and then sold his services to the highest bidder at Auburn and then dressed like Harry Styles during press conferences.  He would have been loved by Cowboys fans only. Dak is not beloved either, and he at least seems like a decent guy.  

Stare Blinking GIF - Stare Blinking Blank Stare - Discover & Share GIFs

22 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I'm anxiously awaiting what we do at WR. Because right now we might have the worst WR corps in the NFL on paper. That's not exactly setting up your highly drafted rookie QB for success.

Yeah,  I'm hoping we have a plan at WR.   Maybe free agent.. draft one in the 2nd or 3rd.  But WR room needs to be shored up..  and I think the new Panther brain trust will address this 

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Yup, total media bias in favor of the hugely successful Houston market. It's the only possible answer and has nothing to do with factors such as their numbers being similar (Steve has more TDs and playoff games to his credit) or Steve being a much more polarizing player for a good portion of his career. None at all.

I think Smith deserves to get in over a guy like Johnson but to cry 'Carolina media bias' is lame.

?

Houston population is 2.28 million.

Charlotte population is 879k.

Texas population is 29.5m.

North Carolina population is 10.6m.

South Carolina population is 5.1m.

Steve Smith 1031 Receptions, 14731 yards, 81 TDS, 14.3 avg.

Andre Johnson 1062 receptions, 14185 yards, 70 tds, 13.4 avg.

SSmith 387 rush yds, 2 tds.

Johnson 54 rush yds, 0 tds.

Smith 1684 return yds, 4 tds.

Johnson 0.

Smith 16802 total yds, 87 tds.

Johnson 14239 total yds, 70 tds.

Not even close. Stop being dumb.

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

?

Houston population is 2.28 million.

Charlotte population is 879k.

Texas population is 29.5m.

North Carolina population is 10.6m.

South Carolina population is 5.1m.

Steve Smith 1031 Receptions, 14731 yards, 81 TDS, 14.3 avg.

Andre Johnson 1062 receptions, 14185 yards, 70 tds, 13.4 avg.

SSmith 387 rush yds, 2 tds.

Johnson 54 rush yds, 0 tds.

Smith 1684 return yds, 4 tds.

Johnson 0.

Smith 16802 total yds, 87 tds.

Johnson 14239 total yds, 70 tds.

Not even close. Stop being dumb.

Teammates assaulted by Steve Smith: 3.

Teammates assaulted by Andre Johnson: 0.

I'm not even saying this explicitly factors in, simply saying that there can be much more in play than just stats. Also, I live in KC, a market much smaller than Charlotte, and the Chiefs were irrelevant until Reid and then Mahomes started winning. Now, they win and get lots of attention regardless despite the market size. And how Carolina got lots of attention here in 2005, 2008, 2013, and then 2015-2017 when they were actually doing something interesting. Weird, right? 

In your own words, stop being dumb.

Edited by KSpan

9 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Teammates assaulted by Steve Smith: 3.

Teammates assaulted by Andre Johnson: 0.

I'm not even saying this explicitly factors in, simply saying that there can be much more in play than just stats. Also, I live in KC, a market much smaller than Charlotte, and the Chiefs were irrelevant until Reid and then Mahomes started winning. Now, they win and get lots of attention regardless despite the market size. And how Carolina got lots of attention here in 2005, 2008, 2013, and then 2015-2017 when they were actually doing something interesting. Weird, right? 

In your own words, stop being dumb.

Oh good lord. 90% of the attention we got while Cam was here was negative and trashy hot takes. We’re either a gutsy underdog story to the media, or they’ve made us the bad guy. Just stop.