• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ok a different thread…

Panthers Fan 69

As I stated in another thread, I've not been convinced this team is a serious Cup contender for the past 4 years, this year being no different. The Canes are still a piece or 2 away from being a dominant force in the league, and I'm not sure what those pieces are.

Fact: Both Raanta and Andersen are UFAs at the end of the season. The Canes have not talked extension nor did it appear either of them were part of any trade talks. Even if they let one of the 2 walk in free agency, sign the remaining player and bring up Kochetkov, the goal tending is not much, if at all, improved.

Fact: Even if Max Pacioretty stayed healthy, I'm not sure he alone was the difference maker that put this team over the top and makes them a Cup fave.

Fact: Adding Ghostisbehere was a good move because, simply put, he's better than DeHaan and Coghlan. And the Canes are very fortunate Jalen Chatfield has played incredibly well for his first full season on the ice. But Ghost is not a point-a-game guy that pushes this team over the top, either.

Fact: Poolparty may have some upside, but, to be honest, there's only one way for his trajectory to go at this point in his career. He is a draft bust (picked #4 overall after Auston Matthews, Patrick Laine and Pierre Luc Dubois in 2016) and adding him to the roster was comparable to the Panthers adding Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold.

Today, I have no confidence this the team with its current roster will finish atop the Metro. Although they can probably stay ahead of the Rangers, they'll likely enter the playoffs as a #3 seed behind NJ and Boston. They could get very lucky and have Svech back, provided his knee isn't going to need surgery, and get through the first round. But that will be an uphill battle and any success beyond the first round will be shocking.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Anybodyhome said:

As I stated in another thread, I've not been convinced this team is a serious Cup contender for the past 4 years, this year being no different. The Canes are still a piece or 2 away from being a dominant force in the league, and I'm not sure what those pieces are.

Fact: Both Raanta and Andersen are UFAs at the end of the season. The Canes have not talked extension nor did it appear either of them were part of any trade talks. Even if they let one of the 2 walk in free agency, sign the remaining player and bring up Kochetkov, the goal tending is not much, if at all, improved.

Fact: Even if Max Pacioretty stayed healthy, I'm not sure he alone was the difference maker that put this team over the top and makes them a Cup fave.

Fact: Adding Ghostisbehere was a good move because, simply put, he's better than DeHaan and Coghlan. And the Canes are very fortunate Jalen Chatfield has played incredibly well for his first full season on the ice. But Ghost is not a point-a-game guy that pushes this team over the top, either.

Fact: Poolparty may have some upside, but, to be honest, there's only one way for his trajectory to go at this point in his career. He is a draft bust (picked #4 overall after Auston Matthews, Patrick Laine and Pierre Luc Dubois in 2016) and adding him to the roster was comparable to the Panthers adding Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold.

Today, I have no confidence this the team with its current roster will finish atop the Metro. Although they can probably stay ahead of the Rangers, they'll likely enter the playoffs as a #3 seed behind NJ and Boston. They could get very lucky and have Svech back, provided his knee isn't going to need surgery, and get through the first round. But that will be an uphill battle and any success beyond the first round will be shocking.

Waddell should be held accountable. 

• Flames 1