• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Stroud and it shouldn't even be close

NAS

I think they’re leaning Stroud too, but if Young was a few inches taller he’d be a no-brainer #1 in the mold of Lawrence and Burrow. He just does everything so well and has a ridiculously high football IQ. He was also coached hard by Bill O’Brien, who has that NFL experience. I honestly think he was a better QB at Alabama than both Hurts and Tua. And they’ve both translated well (minus Tua’s brutal concussions).

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Why is Stroud the exception? 

He is the logical choice.  He has the best or 2nd best upside with the fewest downsides/risks. For example if Stroud were to get hurt...it is bad luck.  if Young gets hurt...well,,,that was an initial concern with him and bad decision.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

If Stroud is the pick, and does not develop into a franchise QB....that would be on Stroud.  Anyone else, it is the coaches/gm failure for the wrong decision.

Do you mean the optics or do you believe this? Look I'm excited about Reich and the staff he's put together but I wouldn't be so sure that he/they won't fail Stroud or whatever QB we get. Stroud could do everything right and be a good player but not succeed here. It happens, and Reich and his staff haven't earned the benefit of the doubt on that yet. 

5 minutes ago, t96 said:

Do you mean the optics or do you believe this? Look I'm excited about Reich and the staff he's put together but I wouldn't be so sure that he/they won't fail Stroud or whatever QB we get. Stroud could do everything right and be a good player but not succeed here. It happens, and Reich and his staff haven't earned the benefit of the doubt on that yet. 

Optics mostly.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

34 minutes ago, Eric4280 said:

Everything about playing qb, isn’t in question. It’s that other thing that everyone is infatuated about.

Nah, his footwork is questionable - so is his ability to see the middle of the field.

He's likened to Mahomes because in College he played off the cuff too.

12 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

He is the logical choice.  He has the best or 2nd best upside with the fewest downsides/risks. For example if Stroud were to get hurt...it is bad luck.  if Young gets hurt...well,,,that was an initial concern with him and bad decision.

This 100%. Even the first minor injury, and everyone here is going to be up in arms if we go with young. Tweaked ankle, sprain finger, anything and it's going to be mayhem. 

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

And if Young was a little bigger it would be an easy pick to go with Young. If UF receivers could catch it might be an easy pick to go with Richardson. I don't see the slam dunk #1. I hope our staff does.

We're agreeing with each other - this is weird.

I see 3 possibilities at #1, but they all have flaws:

• Stroud - questions about whether he's a system QB and his ceiling
  • Young - questions about his size (and for me whether he's maxed out)
  • Richardson - questions about his accuracy and development, but with an unlimited ceiling

And yes, I get the argument that if there was a generational prospect at #1 then the pick wouldn't be available. Unfortunately we've still paid the Bears like there's a generational prospect there. 

• Pie 1

38 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Stroud does most everything right. The only knock was he wasn't vocal enough. His teammates put that to rest. 

I think the pick will be Stroud because even though they've rolled the dice on #1 overall they'll now get conservative.

He's the 'safest' pick in terms of he checks all the height / weight / arm talent boxes. 

The Goff comparisons are fair - if you put him in the right system with simple reads you know he's got the accuracy / arm strength to get the ball where it needs to go. It's whether he can mentally develop from there.

Personally I'd continue to roll the dice and go Richardson. Make that QB whisperer earn his coin with the most talented QB in the Draft. 

16 minutes ago, Burnout189 said:

Young is the same height as Brees and about 15 pounds lighter. He could easily add some mass once in the NFL.

I would still be ok with either him or Stroud.

If Young checked in at 6' at the Combine he'd be the #1 overall pick without question. Unfortunately for Bryce, he didn't. 

14 minutes ago, Burnout189 said:

Young is the same height as Brees and about 15 pounds lighter. He could easily add some mass once in the NFL.

I would still be ok with either him or Stroud.

This isn't true, nor will he be able to carry that much additional weight...just won't be able to move as well...both his legs and arms would be affected.

He played around 170 last year, to ask him to get to 200-205 isn't feasible....he's just a small guy, look at  his hips and legs.  He doesn't look like Steve Smith or Darren Sproles.

And this is coming from someone who immediately thought of Young when I heard of the trade.

• Pie 1