• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agent Updates

Mr. Scot

46 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

A thread for news and rumors specific to the Panthers as the legal tampering period begins...

Here are a couple of good preview articles to start us off.

hey, you have cliff notes for the athletic article? i hit the paywall head on.

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I have a feeling we are going to overpay for Foreman.  I like the dude, but he ain't worth breaking the bank over, especially as a two-down back.  He's not dynamic enough to overpay. 

I don't think so. Marty Hurney isn't handing out contracts anymore. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

hey, you have cliff notes for the athletic article? i hit the paywall head on.

Excerpts from he analysis part...

Is general manager Scott Fitterer going to follow that with some big splashes when free agency starts Wednesday? Probably not, given his track record since coming to Carolina two years ago.

Some of Fitterer’s best work has come during the second wave of free agency, after the dust has settled on the biggest names and biggest contracts. Haason Reddick, Frankie Luvu, Bradley Bozeman and Matt Ioannidis are among the value signings who have paid off for the Panthers.

Zeroing in on players with high upside who won’t break the bank is especially important this year. The Panthers have a long list of needs — with receiver moving to the top after DJ Moore was included in the Bears’ trade. But they’re also looking for a bridge quarterback to work with whichever QB they draft at No. 1, a pass-catching tight end, speed at linebacker, depth along both lines and maybe a ball-hawking safety.

Fitterer won’t be able to cross off all those items in free agency, which begins at noon ET Monday with the legal tampering period. But it helps that Frank Reich has a veteran-laden coaching staff with connections to players at all positions across the league.

I'll pull some tidbits from his free agent list here in a second.

• Pie 2