• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agent Updates

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Not sure about Hopkins but Cooks is expensive. If the Texans ate some of it then perhaps.

Trying to figure out what Nuk's contract would look like for us if traded, as well as comp going back. 

If AZ eats a big portion of what he's owed and the ask is a third rounder, then I'm game. That 2nd rounder needs to stay as a trade for Jeudy or for drafting a TE or WR. 

I think Hopkins has a good amount left in the tank. He's not a long-term answer, but could give us 2-3 more years of similar play.

Just now, Soul Rebel said:

Trying to figure out what Nuk's contract would look like for us if traded, as well as comp going back. 

If AZ eats a big portion of what he's owed and the ask is a third rounder, then I'm game. That 2nd rounder needs to stay as a trade for Jeudy or for drafting a TE or WR. 

I think Hopkins has a good amount left in the tank. He's not a long-term answer, but could give us 2-3 more years of similar play.

https://www.rotoballer.com/player-news/deandre-hopkins-will-be-flexible-with-contract/1146241?amp=1

We’d most likely have to extend him to make this deal work

• Beer 1

Tight end Hayden Hurst is headed back to the NFC South. NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported on Wednesday that the Carolina Panthers are expected to sign Hurst to a three-year, $21.75 million contract with $13 million fully guaranteed at signing, per sources informed of the situation.

Doubled his salary. Good for him.  Hopefully Schultz and Geisicki get a lot more so this doesn't look so bad. Not sure why we needed to sign a 29 yo for 3 year deal. 

5 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Soooooo, the guy is essentially taking a lateral payment or potentially a small reduction in salary to come here. 

That tracks with a vet that is a year older and entering his 30s. 

Also, let's not forget that Hurst was drafted at 25 years old, so he only has 5 years of tread off his tires. 

No. He is getting 2x his Bengals salary for some reason. 

26 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

He'd actually only be on the books for about $19 million this year, which isn't terrible, he's just a bigger cap hit to the Cardinals due to the signing bonus still being part of his cap for them, which doesn't transfer to the new team in a trade.

If you sign him to a 2-3 year extension, they could bring that down to probably around $10 million this year as his cap hit I'm guessing.

If Spotrac is correct and I am reading it correctly, we have about $18m of cap room left ($10-12 for rookies) BEFORE paying Hurst--(so estimate about $15-14m, leaving about $3m.) The Shaq Thompson restructure does not seem to be on the books yet--so maybe add $10m?  Maybe someone who knows this stuff can figure it out.

Rounded 2023 cap figures:

Bell  $3m

Tuttle $3m

Bozeman $3m

Dalton  $2m

Hurst  $???

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/cap/

3 hours ago, Castavar said:

It would be the absolute most Panther thing to move up all the way to #1, lose your #1 WR because of it, only to draft the #3 ranked QB lmao

#3 ranked QB by who?  The talking heads?  

If they like 2 guys, I could see them moving back a spot for #34 from Houston.  Chances are we get our favorite anyway (if we have a favorite) and pick up a good spot for a WR.