• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign Vonn Bell

TheSpecialJuan

20 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I won't pretend I know it all, but our expected base package is a two-high safety approach so Woods & Bell will be those outfielders with one sometimes a robber.

Woods -- Bell

Horn                                             Jackson

Burns - Shaq - Chinn? - Luvu

Brown - Tuttle - <TBD>

Now, this may only end up being 25-30% of our formations, but if we're keeping Chinn and want him in 90%+ of defensive snaps, that's kind of where he'll need to go at times.  Unless you want him deep.  

People will say he fits this hybrid but they aren't accounting for a good fraction of our anticipated defensive looks.

He'll be akin to the hybrid role with a thousand nicknames otherwise in our nickel and dime subs.  

Quality. This is what I suspected. My first suspicion is that Chinn is also available as trade bait for moving back into the first of to sweeten things for Houston to move up and give us #12. But I'm trying to stop thinking in such toxic ways. 

17 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'm not knocking you, but there's no chance that a front office asks players their thoughts on signings. I'm sure they've had internal discussions amongst themselves on how what role he best suits the team and relayed that to him. 

We've heard it before from other teams. A FO approaching a current player asking them their thoughts if they were to sign player X.

I'd be surprised if Chinn wasn't approached to at least ask his thoughts about moving to LB before they went after Bell. 

Just now, TheWiz said:

Quality. This is what I suspected. My first suspicion is that Chinn is also available as trade bait for moving back into the first of to sweeten things for Houston to move up and give us #12. But I'm trying to stop thinking in such toxic ways. 

I think Jordan Rodrigue hit it on the head about him filling the Ramsay type role.  A bit different than the buffalo nickel which has historically come out of the base 4-3.  Being a base 3-4, it's a similar role that floats all over sub dependent with some differences.   

https://theathletic.com/2784000/2021/08/27/cornerback-jalen-ramsey-is-the-rams-star-a-position-that-can-evolve-as-he-does-too/

17 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Love it, feels like a nice 2 for 1 signing in that it also addresses LB need by moving Chinn back there, where he should be more impactful player.

I know he was already a LB  as a rookie, but I would love to see Chinn seek out TD this offseason to pick his ear about moving from Safety to LB and putting on good weight to do it the right way.  Can't think of a better person or player to help guide him there.

I keep seeing this “move Chinn back to LB talk”. Was he ever listed on the roster as an LB of any sort? I don’t recall that. I remember him playing down in the box a lot but I thought he was still listed as a SS?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1