• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bridge Quarterback Debate

Mr. Scot

I can see the point:  if you're a prideful alpha male, who wants to sign on to giving up your job to a kid?  Very few pay well enough to do that!

If our rookie is ready to rock, let them start.  Cam had a LOT to learn, but still came out kicking butt his rookie year.  The bridge QB sounds like a nice luxury, but I think it's up to the coaching staff to earn their paychecks and prep that first player to come out and win.

21 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

If Josh McCown wasn’t our QB coach I’d be a lot more concerned about this. Literally who could we have better than McCown for this job?

If anything, it gives us the liberty to look for a second promising guy as a backup. The idea is finding a guy who can win when #1 goes down.  We don't need a bridge, we need a capable backup.   

So, if we're not paying top backup prices like Miami and Atl just did, and if we're considering the Drew Locks of the world, might as well take a late shot at a Haener or Tune in the 5th-6th. Could only benefit at this point.  

A veteran back up QB who has field experience is also worth their weight in gold sitting on the bench beside the young starting QB. Second set of eyes, someone to keep them on an even keel when they game gets tough, someone who can tell the diva receiver to  back off or step up.

Honestly, this is where you need a Ryan Fitzpatrick or Derek Anderson. Hopefully McCown can handle it, but still...

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, chknwing said:

I'm not sure why the coaching staff wants to dump Matt Corral.  He could be the bridge qb.  the new staff hasnt even seen him yet.

The guy who has never taken a meaningful snap in the NFL and has spent the entirety of his career on IR is not the guy I want showing the new guy the ropes. 

Edited by travisura
  • Pie 1

If we go with a Dalton I would argue it knocks out any shot we draft Richardson, which is fine with me. I think with Young/Stroud you just need a guy with a lot of experience, comfortable with the knowledge of what his role is, and could potentially start a game or two max.