• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andy Dalton is a Panther

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, ECHornet said:

The $4.835mil signing bonus is Dalton’s at signing of the contract so that’s guaranteed. It is divided between the two years for cap purposes only. 

The 2023 base salary of $1.165mil is likely fully guaranteed. 

Those two total $6mil and many are reporting $8mil is guaranteed. I’m just wondering where the $2mil extra is coming from. Likely half of the 2024 base is guaranteed. 

So if we cut him or he retires after 2023, we eat ~$4.4mil in 2024 dead cap. 

I think they have to also account for incentives he will likely earn built into the contract.  Those little details that get ignored when numbers are tossed around. 

Just now, Jon Snow said:

I think they have to also account for incentives he will likely earn built into the contract.  Those little details that get ignored when numbers are tossed around. 

I don’t think any of Dalton’s will be considered “likely to be earned” once we pick a QB with #1. Maybe though. 

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

They still have to account for them on the cap. 

Only if the incentive is considered “likely to be earned” which is determined by looking at the previous year. 

3A5363BC-7233-4148-BC39-347862718F90.thumb.jpeg.dd53703a74638f6d6cfa614226074969.jpeg

I’m unclear how they would consider Dalton’s incentives being he’s clearly brought in to be a backup/mentor, but he played quite a bit last year. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Only if the incentive is considered “likely to be earned” which is determined by looking at the previous year. 

3A5363BC-7233-4148-BC39-347862718F90.thumb.jpeg.dd53703a74638f6d6cfa614226074969.jpeg

I’m unclear how they would consider Dalton’s incentives being he’s clearly brought in to be a backup/mentor, but he played quite a bit last year. 

I don't know enough about this cap accounting stuff to offer an educated opinion because I really do not care about this cap stuff. Tepper pays a guy to worry about that stuff so I sure as hell am not going to worry about for free.  I'll let all the amateur GM'S play that game. 

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Another big miss in the offseason. Any GM with a 36 year old Dalton on their QB board should lose their job.

Yea we clearly should have went for Carr or Jimmy G to waste cap and hinder our #1 picks development while these guys are trying to live out there childhood dreams in their twilight years.

gtfoh. 

Dalton is a fine signing, he has played just as good as carr or Jimmy G in the past and comes a hell of a lot cheaper. He also does not mind being a backup and will start in a pinch if needed. 

• Beer 1