• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Panthers QB: “No doubt in my mind” they pick Bryce Young

Cary Kollins

5 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

You guys? What is with the constant uneducated takes here?

Matt Corral was injury prone in college, and couldn’t even last a preseason game in the NFL before a major injury.

Bryce was not. And will not. 

Uneducated takes eh? You aren't exactly offering Stephen Hawking level insight yourself here let's not get carried away insulting each other.

I am a Corral skeptic I think he's basically done here barring something magical but I can't say his career is done not by a longshot. And I think you are being premature at best to label him injury prone. In college he had 2 grade 1 ankle sprains and a bruised rib. If we are calling that injury prone then Bryce Young already having nursed a shoulder injury at Alabama is something to consider. Or maybe you are not able to see past your own bias on the matter 🤷‍♂️

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

The post was in reply to Razor's request to name a good QB that was small and had nothing to do with Young. Razor didn't say the QB had to be in the modern era either and had just said name one like it hadn't ever happened before. He would have had a point if there never had been small players at QB before, but history shows there has been though it has been rare. And yeah, players have gotten bigger over the years, but that's true for people in general.

And I want Ahlers at 1 for the laughs but will settle for Richardson, Hooker, or Levis. Come to think about it, Bennett who is another smaller guy at 1 would work too.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Uneducated takes eh? You aren't exactly offering Stephen Hawking level insight yourself here let's not get carried away insulting each other.

I am a Corral skeptic I think he's basically done here barring something magical but I can't say his career is done not by a longshot. And I think you are being premature at best to label him injury prone. In college he had 2 grade 1 ankle sprains and a bruised rib. If we are calling that injury prone then Bryce Young already having nursed a shoulder injury at Alabama is something to consider. Or maybe you are not able to see past your own bias on the matter 🤷‍♂️

I wanted Corral last draft if we were going to take a QB and I’ve said repeatedly the last few weeks I think both Stroud and Young are special talents and I’m fine with either? What biased takes? All I said in this thread is that it is possible that Young has a Steph Curry effect that changes the way people draft and people got all bent out of shape for no reason. Some of “you guys” like to argue for the sake of arguing 

4 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

I wanted Corral last draft if we were going to take a QB and I’ve said repeatedly the last few weeks I think both Stroud and Young are special talents and I’m fine with either? What biased takes? All I said in this thread is that it is possible that Young has a Steph Curry effect that changes the way people draft and people got all bent out of shape for no reason. Some of “you guys” like to argue for the sake of arguing 

I was fine with us taking a swing on Corral but Matt Rhule was a complete buffoon so he was doomed from jump street unfortunately. Stroud is 1a Young is 1b and Richardson is the wildcard for me. Praising Young is one thing but linking him to future hall of famers in a completely different sport on top of the constant comparisons I've seen to Drew Brees and Doug Flutie is where you can see bias sneaking into the discussion. I'm not putting too much pressure on any of these guys if we draft them this season is going to be a pleasant surprise if we make the playoffs but I'm tempering expectations.

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

the constant comparisons I've seen to Drew Brees and Doug Flutie is where you can see bias sneaking into the discussion

I wouldn't say that is bias so much as latching onto two of the most successful and famous modern era smaller guys to play pro QB as proof that smaller guys can succeed in the pros. So, I get that and have used it even if it's a little on the lazy side.

10 minutes ago, frankw said:

Praising Young is one thing but linking him to future hall of famers in a completely different sport on top

The Curry thing is a little strange to me. I don't see Young as changing the way football is played. Curry did change the way basketball is played and not in a good way. Too many guys, including LaMelo Ball, think they should shoot those long distance 3s a couple steps past half court on a regular basis. That used to be the buzzer beater shot, now every Tom, Dick, and Harry think they can do it because of Curry. It's a dumb shot unless it's at the end of the shot clock but that's another sport.

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

I wouldn't say that is bias so much as latching onto two of the most successful and famous modern era smaller guys to play pro QB as proof that smaller guys can succeed in the pros. So, I get that and have used it even if it's a little on the lazy side.

The Curry thing is a little strange to me. I don't see Young as changing the way football is played. Curry did change the way basketball is played and not in a good way. Too many guys, including LaMelo Ball, think they should shoot those long distance 3s a couple steps past half court on a regular basis. That used to be the buzzer beater shot, now every Tom, Dick, and Harry think they can do it because of Curry. It's a dumb shot unless it's at the end of the shot clock but that's another sport.

Yeah but Flutie was drafted almost 40 years ago. Drew Brees is one of the more rare QB's to do what he did though many Panthers fans have criticized him for being a stat padder. Beyond that you have Russell Wilson who fell all the way off recently and Kyler who the Cardinals currently have a love/hate relationship with.

I like Steph he's rare. Though he's kinda becoming a bit arrogant as of late and I have no love for a modern dynasty given I'm a tortured Hornets and former Bobcats fan. But yes comparing him to Young is off the wall and I have to think if Bryce didn't play for Alabama things like that wouldn't be said.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Yeah but Flutie was drafted almost 40 years ago. Drew Brees is one of the more rare QB's to do what he did though many Panthers fans have criticized him for being a stat padder. Beyond that you have Russell Wilson who fell all the way off recently and Kyler who the Cardinals currently have a love/hate relationship with.

I like Steph he's rare. Though he's kinda becoming a bit arrogant as of late and I have no love for a modern dynasty given I'm a tortured Hornets and former Bobcats fan. But yes comparing him to Young is off the wall and I have to think if Bryce didn't play for Alabama things like that wouldn't be said.

True enough. Brees was a stat padder that year he was trying to break the TD record or whatever it was. That game against Carolina was all but over at the half, and they still came out throwing until he secured the record. Wilson is a good comparison for Young when it comes to skill set. Young does a lot of similar things to prime Wilson.

I gave up on the Hornets this year about a third of the way though the season. Too many injuries and Cliff insisting on playing his vets. Even though they're supposedly developing the young guys after the break, he's still playing his vets much more except for center and that's only because Plumlee was traded.

I think the comparison to Young came about more for what he does and that he has been considered the top pick since last fall more than because he went to Alabama.