• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich has NO EXCUSES… playoffs or bust in 3 seasons

TheBigKat

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Anybody who has high expectations for next year must be a new panthers fan...or a slow learner.

Not at all. We will have our best coaching staff ever and potential for  one of the best o lines and defenses in our history. Other than a rookie QB exactly why shouldn't we be good and win the division. I love all these folks  outlining how we shouldn't settle for mediocre but should not expect worse than mediocre for a few years. How did Mac Hines do his rookie year? You don't thing our potential guys are better than him?

3 hours ago, CRA said:

yeah, we are on Panther message board.  It is going to slant optimistic. 

and sometimes it will slant crazily optimistic.  Like folks last offseason claiming Matt Rhule + Ben McAdoo was totally going to work out great!   

but yeah, I'm not the type fan that thinks Frank needs to compete for the playoffs year one.  Frank has to build his offense up.  That's my opinion.  Which is just as good as any other.   We could EASILY be breaking in a rookie QB with a weak WR1, weak WR2, okay RB and okay TE all in a brand new scheme.  Putting the bar of playoffs on the rookie QB and the team as a whole again, seems silly to me.   

So how did Wilks comes in as an interim and win games with PJ and Dalton who both suck according to you.  Why should expectations be so low. And didn't New England go 10-6  with Jones as a rookie? So why will we suffer if this system is so qb friendly.

You don't get 3 years with this roster in this division.

We damn near made the playoffs last year. There is no excuses why we shouldn't make the playoffs in the next 2 years. This isn't a rebuild we are loaded on defense with a solid Oline and a #1 pick at QB. 

If Frank hasn't got this team to the playoffs in the next 2 years he is gone. 

6 hours ago, BrianS said:

Some of our fans are really tossing out some unreal expectations.

A winning record this year would be an INCREDIBLE accomplishment.  INCREDIBLE.  Forget division titles.  Forget playoffs.  Just win more games than we lose.  It's more likely we end up winning 7 games.  Our offense and defense were bottom half of the league in the only stat that matters:  scoring.  Rookie QB.  New staff.   Completely new defensive system requiring different personnel.  Come on.  What we should be looking for in 2023 is a team that fights hard and improves over the season.

In 2024, we should expect a winning team barring some sort of injury crisis or our rookie QB turns into Jamarcus Russell.  We should be competing in the division.  Playoffs as a wildcard at least.

How dare you try to inject any reasonableness into this thread.

The old saying is that the number one cause of disappointment is unrealistic expectations. 

Yes, things are looking up.  But the reason is there is a lot of change.  That coming together, especially a new QB with new receivers in a new offense will not happen overnight.  The new defense will probably take some time, too.

The other trap I see people falling into is assuming the division will be as inept next year as it was this year.  Atlanta has been building and could surprise some people.  I do not expect them to stagnate at 7-10.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

So how did Wilks comes in as an interim and win games with PJ and Dalton who both suck according to you.  Why should expectations be so low. And didn't New England go 10-6  with Jones as a rookie? So why will we suffer if this system is so qb friendly.

Wilks played safe boring football against weak teams.  The competition we faced has a lot to do with why that was successful.    And if we played a good run defense the game was essentially over before it started. 

NE has a long and established system and culture in New England.  That's not Carolina in 2023.  It's year one of installing a offense, identity and culture here.   And again, we likely are starting a rookie QB at some point with a very pedestrian cast around him on O.   In year 1 of a brand new scheme for all. 

I simply disagree with setting too high of expectations.  You are just projecting the suffering part.  That's not my claim.  We could have a great year 1......and it won't and shouldn't be measured by wins and losses.   We could have a great year one and only win 6 games.  That could mean the QB looks like it was the right pick and shows some special glimpses.  That the O scheme and management of things looks good and simply needs O talent added to aid the rookie as he continues development, etc. 

3 hours ago, CRA said:

Wilks played safe boring football against weak teams.  The competition we faced has a lot to do with why that was successful.    And if we played a good run defense the game was essentially over before it started. 

NE has a long and established system and culture in New England.  That's not Carolina in 2023.  It's year one of installing a offense, identity and culture here.   And again, we likely are starting a rookie QB at some point with a very pedestrian cast around him on O.   In year 1 of a brand new scheme for all. 

I simply disagree with setting too high of expectations.  You are just projecting the suffering part.  That's not my claim.  We could have a great year 1......and it won't and shouldn't be measured by wins and losses.   We could have a great year one and only win 6 games.  That could mean the QB looks like it was the right pick and shows some special glimpses.  That the O scheme and management of things looks good and simply needs O talent added to aid the rookie as he continues development, etc. 

It is the first day of free agency. How do you know we will be pedestrian on offense. That right you don't but it fits your agenda. Fell free to expect little but the majority will be expecting winning the division unless our old nemesis the Saints end up better. And no, winning 6 games would suck but then again as a PSL owner I have skin in the game and you don't. So I can see why you expect little but many of the rest expect a lot more. 6 wins was fine with Cam when we were coming off a 2-14 season in 2010 but after going 500 with Wilks the bar is much higher and we will be better than you think Mr. Mediocre.

Edited by panthers55