• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Board & Pick 39: Offensive Skill Player Rankings

Bear Hands

1 hour ago, LordOfDaWingz said:

I say take one of the tight ends and draft Kayshon Boutte in the mid rounds. Guy is a gem. 

He turned on his qb on live t.v. and has had two ankle surgeries. Hard pass. Now that we've signed a te, i would think pick 39 is definitely a wr if Hyatt or Downs if there are available, Washington the big TE from UGA if they are not. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, RJK said:

I just took a look at the WR class last night and the majority of them are 5’10 or smaller and sub 180 lbs. lots of slot guys but no #1 outside a few guys that will be gone by 39 

Not attacking your post. It's valid. 

But if any team's fans should know size doesn't make a receiver, then it should be the us. I'd take Smitty/Ginn/Philly Brown over Funchess/KB/Jarrett any day. 

7 hours ago, razorwolf said:

JMO

My Big Board Panther Selections

1st round (1): CJ Stroud, QB

2nd (39): Adetomiwa Adebaware, Edge (dream he won't be available at this pick)

3rd (93): Jonathan Mingo, WR

4th (114): Drew Sanders, LB

4th (132): Roschon Johnson, RB

5th (147): Josh Whyle, TE

Johnson would be a very good pick.I also like Whyle in 5th.

My thoughts:  WR is about as weak as I have ever seen it.  My favorite, Jaxon Smith-Njigba will be long gone.  Jordan Addison will also be gone.  Zay Flowers could be there--I do not see a team taking him with a first round pick--it would be a reach, imo.  Jalen Hyatt--I am not so interested because I read that he is a "one trick pony" and benefited from Tennessee's scheme--He was not very productive before that.  Downs is small but he is a competitor--a slot WR who would sit Shi Smith down.  Very small. 

I am not interested in Boutte--he is a bust waiting to happen--lazy route runner, drops.   I have curious interested in Mingo from Ole Miss.  Not overly productive, but bigger and with good speed.   Rashee Rice (SMU) is a potential day 2 pick for the Panthers, but the Panthers could probably trade back a bit and still get him.  He had solid improvement in college.

When I consider the immediate needs of the Panthers, I think it could be possible to wait until the third round before drafting a WR, assuming the chips don't fall as planned in round 2.  Charlie Jones had over 1100 yards on 110 catches in the big 10.  He is a great route runner and has excellent hands.  He was in college for 6 years, so he is 24, but that maturity might be what is needed right now.  The more I read about him, the more I see him as a sleeper, even though he was All-American.

If Dalton Kincaid were to fall to us in round 2, you have to take him.  He would be as much of a receiving threat as any of the WRs left on the board, and he would play in the slot or even out wide at times.  If I took Kincaid in the second, I would go after Jones in the third.

So my "realistic" Day 2 Big board

1. Pick 39-Dalton Kincaid (TE, sorta) If he somehow drops to 39, you take him.

2. Pick 39-Zay Flowers WR.  I would say that there is a legitimate reason to suspect that he will be there, but his value has been rising.

3. Pick 39- Josh Downs WR.  He is a gamer, undersized etc. but he brings it every play.  Depending on if the Panthers feel they need a slot at the time.

4. Pick 39-Jalen Hyatt WR.  Ate Bama alive, but some say that he (like his QB) are "products of the system" so you can't use his stats to rate him.  I am not that high on him at this time.

5. Trade back in round 2--Rashee Rice.  I think he will become an excellent pro.  If we took him at 39, I would get it.

6. Trade back in round 2--Jonathan Mingo. 6'2", 220.  Reminds me of Moose.

7. Round 3--Charlie Jones.  He has good speed, a polished route runner, good hands, and was very productive in his sixth year of college football.  He is 24+, and could be ready to play right now. 

• Beer 3

8 hours ago, razorwolf said:

JMO

My Big Board Panther Selections

1st round (1): CJ Stroud, QB

2nd (39): Adetomiwa Adebaware, Edge (dream he won't be available at this pick)

3rd (93): Jonathan Mingo, WR

4th (114): Drew Sanders, LB

4th (132): Roschon Johnson, RB

5th (147): Josh Whyle, TE

Drew Sanders in the 4th would be an absolute steal. That dude is insane

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

1. Pick 39-Dalton Kincaid (TE, sorta) If he somehow drops to 39, you take him.

2. Pick 39-Zay Flowers WR.  I would say that there is a legitimate reason to suspect that he will be there, but his value has been rising.

3. Pick 39- Josh Downs WR.  He is a gamer, undersized etc. but he brings it every play.  Depending on if the Panthers feel they need a slot at the time.

4. Pick 39-Jalen Hyatt WR.  Ate Bama alive, but some say that he (like his QB) are "products of the system" so you can't use his stats to rate him.  I am not that high on him at this time.

Nice post--

I quoted the 4 scenarios that I keep coming to.  1 & 2 I see as a pipe dream (which is why I'm wondering about a trade up to ~28) and your scenario 3 & 4 as the realistic options.  

Unless there's unforeseen circumstances, I see Bijan, S-N, Johnston, Addison, & Zay all going solidly in R1.  6 offensive skill dudes.  With Mayer & Kincaid, highly highly likely R1, and can actually see Kincaid going first as high as GB at 15.  8 RB/TE/WRs in the first would be on par with most drafts. 

I just don't see Zay slipping past NYG, DAL, BUF, & CIN.  That back of first is where you target if Zay or Dalton are available.  Those are the two worth trading up for if there.

Gibbs could be a wildcard to fall.  If we're looking at pure talent, position aside, he's only behind Bijan and S-N in this class.  He'll be instant impact in a huge way.

And then with Downs, his size doesn't worry me. I look at him more like a Devonta Smith than a TY Hilton.  He's a fighter and gets after it, contesting over 6'+ corners.  Picking him seems like a prime opportunity.  He can be pushed outside and play slot.  You can slide him anywhere, not slot exclusive like a Tank Dell for example.    

The other thing in the back of my mind is if one of these top EDGE guys is there, and let's say only Musgrave, Charbonnet, & Rice are available, then it gets tricky.  There is a big cliff right around our pick so it's an important thing for Fitt to navigate.

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, Growl said:

honestly thinking real hard about a CB in the 2nd, value is better and is a huge position of need. I never wanna see cj henderson again. 

I feel you.  We are at risk to overdraft a WR, just because we ‘must’ have offensive weapons for our new QB1.  

A FA WR (Chark, please) will be signed and that, along with Hurst, TMJ, Taviska and Sanders will be adequate this year.  Draft a project WR in R4 or later, if we must.  We’ll get another bite of the apple at WR next year when we have more cap available.

There is just too much value at edge and CB this year to not take the BPA at one of those two positions at 39.  A good defense can also be a rookie QB’s best friend.

Edited by bythenbrs

21 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

I feel you.  We are at risk to overdraft a WR, just because we ‘must’ have offensive weapons for our new QB1.  

A FA WR (Chark, please) will be signed and that, along with Hurst, TMJ, Taviska and Sanders will be adequate this year.  Draft a project WR in R4 or later, if we must.  We’ll get another bite of the apple at WR next year when we have more cap available.

There is just too much value at edge and CB this year to not take the BPA at one of those two positions at 39.  A good defense can also be a rookie QB’s best friend.

Offense is more valuable than defense, if that guy is there that’s the direction they should go.

but a bunch of project slot guys doesn’t necessarily quantify as “that guy is there” for me. Even then id still think real hard about taking one and just taking as many swings as possible at the position. My only thought is that one of these guys like kelee ringo or cam smith who were considered top 12 picks when the season ended may be available, and with the need at CB, and with the value of the position, I’d definitely think about it.

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Nice post--

I quoted the 4 scenarios that I keep coming to.  1 & 2 I see as a pipe dream (which is why I'm wondering about a trade up to ~28) and your scenario 3 & 4 as the realistic options.  

Unless there's unforeseen circumstances, I see Bijan, S-N, Johnston, Addison, & Zay all going solidly in R1.  6 offensive skill dudes.  With Mayer & Kincaid, highly highly likely R1, and can actually see Kincaid going first as high as GB at 15.  8 RB/TE/WRs in the first would be on par with most drafts. 

I just don't see Zay slipping past NYG, DAL, BUF, & CIN.  That back of first is where you target if Zay or Dalton are available.  Those are the two worth trading up for if there.

Gibbs could be a wildcard to fall.  If we're looking at pure talent, position aside, he's only behind Bijan and S-N in this class.  He'll be instant impact in a huge way.

And then with Downs, his size doesn't worry me. I look at him more like a Devonta Smith than a TY Hilton.  He's a fighter and gets after it, contesting over 6'+ corners.  Picking him seems like a prime opportunity.  He can be pushed outside and play slot.  You can slide him anywhere, not slot exclusive like a Tank Dell for example.    

The other thing in the back of my mind is if one of these top EDGE guys is there, and let's say only Musgrave, Charbonnet, & Rice are available, then it gets tricky.  There is a big cliff right around our pick so it's an important thing for Fitt to navigate.

Great points.  Sold me on taking Downs at 39. 

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

Offense is more valuable than defense, if that guy is there that’s the direction they should go.

but a bunch of project slot guys doesn’t necessarily quantify as “that guy is there” for me. Even then id still think real hard about taking one and just taking as many swings as possible at the position. My only thought is that one of these guys like kelee ringo or cam smith who were considered top 12 picks when the season ended may be available, and with the need at CB, and with the value of the position, I’d definitely think about it.

If CB emerges as the highest value for us, Tyrique Stevenson, Deonte Banks & Julius Brents are some names to keep in mind.  Outside CBs, long, athletic.  There's a lot more size and a lot to like in the CB group this year.  A REALLY solid top-12ish group but then there's a pretty steep drop after late R2 graded talent.