• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Adam Schefter: Bryce Young is believed to be favorite for #1 for the Panthers right now

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i looked at the number of times that both Young and Stroud were sacked in college...

Young - sacked 63 times in 3 years

• 2020 - 6 (9 games)
  • 2021 - 39 (15 starts)
  • 2022 - 18 (12 starts)

Stroud - sacked 26 times in 3 years.

• 2020 - 0 (2 games)
  • 2021 - 13 (12 starts)
  • 2022 - 13 (13 starts)

i couldn't find number of pressures, but i was kind of shocked that Stroud took so many less than Young.

I would guess higher quality opponents.

And yeah, that'd give me pause, especially given that one of the concerns with Stroud is how he reacts to pressure.

26 minutes ago, ncsfinest21 said:

Its not a matter of why, its a matter of how long?  Remember it took Brees awhile to be able to understand, adapt and master his game based on his size. He had to throw quick. Bryce extends plays, Brees took time to work work the pocket but he needed a great Oline to do so. Our Oline may not be able to do that. So there is alot of key factors when size is a issue. For Young to thrive the Oline has to be solid and be able to create windows for him. I just dont think we have that. Stroud would be a better option even if Young is better. We dont have the pieces for Young to be like that here.

I disagree with ur analysis of Young’s game.

we can speculate on injury potential but nobody knows. That mean CJ or anyone other QB can injury prone.

Bryce is 1st & foremost a pocket passer. His ability to extend plays is so good, ppl forget how good he is of a pocket passer. 

If u watched 21 compared to 22, u can see how bryce played differently. He threw a lot from the pocket in 21 because WRs were getting opened. This year, he created more because he had to with limited talent at WRs. A QB who is not dependent on skill positions talent is what TOP 5 QBs are in the NFL. 

for any QB to thrive, the Oline has to be solid…Mahomes got destroyed in SB vs Tampa when he didn’t have a line. So let me tell u that Bryce or CJ will need solid OL. If anything, bryce may thrive more as he is more mobile & manipulates the pocket better. 

the more I watch Stroud the more I like him & I’ll be happy with him as I think he can be special as well. 

but at the end of the day, bryce is already special in my book. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Samppson said:

I think some of that is how good his offensive line is and his receivers being able to get open, but I think people are underestimating how quickly Stroud processes his reads and makes decisions. I know Young is being portrayed as the processing guy, which he is extremely good at, but Stroud is as well.

I will say in watching some Young tape, he's a magician, but I think he also makes some plays look harder than they could be, I've seen him run out of what are pretty good pockets and start creating, rather than just making it look routine. 

yeah i think that a lot of the magic young uses was needed because of the situations he allows himself to be put into. stroud just hasn't needed it.

i think the processing abilities and quickness are very high for both. i think that stroud may just be the better of the two at managing the game.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i looked at the number of times that both Young and Stroud were sacked in college...

Young - sacked 63 times in 3 years

• 2020 - 6 (9 games)
  • 2021 - 39 (15 starts)
  • 2022 - 18 (12 starts)

Stroud - sacked 26 times in 3 years.

• 2020 - 0 (2 games)
  • 2021 - 13 (12 starts)
  • 2022 - 13 (13 starts)

i couldn't find number of pressures, but i was kind of shocked that Stroud took so many less than Young.

Pressures according to PFF (Sack numbers are a little different for some reason)

Young (They have 7 in 2020, 35 in 2021, 18 Sacks in 2022)

• 2020 - 14 Pressures (50% Pressure to sack)
  • 2021 - 226 Pressures (15.5% Pressure to sack)
  • 2022 - 144 Pressures (12.5% Pressure to sack)

Stroud (They have 12 sacks in 2021 and 14 in 2022)

• 2020 - 0 Pressures
  • 2021 - 111 Pressures (10.8% Pressure to sack)
  • 2022 - 99 Pressures (14.1% Pressure to sack)

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Person stated they have "conviction", they just happen to have it on more than one guy.

Knowing that more than one guy suits your needs is not "hoping or guessing".

Yeah, OK. They like the guys equally...🙃

Edited by top dawg

3 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

You do know that they use Joe sometimes for this very reason right?

Joe's not the only one saying this. In fact it's pretty much what everybody is saying (even Albert Breer mentioned it).

I've heard people suggest this is just a smokescreen trying to get the Texans to make an offer to trade up. My question with regard to that logic is why would they be trying to bluff the Texans into trading up if they aren't willing to trade down? 🤔

Edited by Mr. Scot

54 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I would guess higher quality opponents.

And yeah, that'd give me pause, especially given that one of the concerns with Stroud is how he reacts to pressure.

it could be, especially considering that in the GA game he was sacked 4 times and there had only been one other game in which he had multiple sacks to that point and even then it was just 2. 

also...it's not like GA is your average defense in even the SEC. it's arguably the best that there is.

Young didn't play GA last year, but they played them twice the year before...both big games of course. 1st game Young did pretty well, 3 TDs, no INTs, and no sacks. the second game they didn't do nearly as well. Young had 1 TD, 2 INTs, and was sacked 4 times. 

all in all, imo, as far as the ability to sense and handle pressure in the backfield i think it's kind of a wash. if anything i think Stroud is able to handle it better so that he doesn't have to resort to running. it's not that he doesn't trust his legs to get him out of trouble, it's that he'd rather use his legs to scramble and find the best passing option and he does really well with that. And he's usually able to do that without bailing out of the pocket.

Young will use his legs to scramble, but i think he bails out of the pocket probably sooner than he needs to. The thing is that he's able to still make it work. I think he's better than Stroud at that kind of thing, but not much better. 

Young is probably the more entertaining of the two because he's able to make so many plays on the run, but it might be that he does that kind of thing so often when it could have been avoided, which is something that Stroud is able to do...avoid bailing out of the pocket. Young is a magician because he has to be due to his style of play. Stroud doesn't have to be due to his style of play.

I would be incredibly happy with either, but i think that i would prefer stroud more. i think that his style of play makes him less susceptible to injury and eventual mistakes than Young does. Young's size doesn't bother me much. Young's relying on his mobility and his legs more makes him more susceptible to injury and mistakes. again, all just my opinion.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

If rippadonn is on board with Stroud, you guys know it's not happening. He's what, 0-1000 when it comes to QBs? Get ready for the Panthers to draft AR, Levis, or Young.

Joining the knuckle draggers? Ever heard of Justin Herbert? Matt Corral was drafted by your own Panthers. Will Levis shot up the draft boards like me and Payton Manning predicted.

The huddle in general may lack picking prowess but I have no such problems...

Kyle Mooney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by rippadonn