• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes vs Leafs 7pm

Panthers Fan 69

Without #37 in the lineup, the Carolina Hurricanes are even less a physical presence, if there is a lower standard. The Canes will take for more hits than they give and they lack a physical presence on the ice that gives some hesitation to opposing teams wanting to impose their physicality. 

Jordan Martinook and, to some extent, Stefan Noessen, will scrap with someone if the situation warrants. But Svech is the only guy on the roster who plays physical and still puts points on the board. I think if he would have been on the ice when Martinook took the leg-to-leg hit during the Jets game, there would have been a fight.

• Pie 2

18 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Without #37 in the lineup, the Carolina Hurricanes are even less a physical presence, if there is a lower standard. The Canes will take for more hits than they give and they lack a physical presence on the ice that gives some hesitation to opposing teams wanting to impose their physicality. 

Jordan Martinook and, to some extent, Stefan Noessen, will scrap with someone if the situation warrants. But Svech is the only guy on the roster who plays physical and still puts points on the board. I think if he would have been on the ice when Martinook took the leg-to-leg hit during the Jets game, there would have been a fight.

I don’t count KK out. He throws his frame around, he just doesn’t quite go to the level svech started doing before he was injured. 

• Pie 2

45 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I don’t count KK out. He throws his frame around, he just doesn’t quite go to the level svech started doing before he was injured. 

I was thinking this. Ever since KK started getting more physical, his points and goals have increased. KK could be our secret weapon if he keeps getting better. 

• Pie 2

KK tried to be physical with Nino last game and got wrecked lol. Happened right in front of us. I've said it since the beginning of the year...we have no one that plays that power forward lean on you all game type play. With that said I really like how KK is coming along! 

• Pie 2

Leafs lost their last two games so you know they’ll be playing hard.

But so will the Canes. Their defense against the PP has been outstanding: 

The #Canes enter this evening not having allowed a power play goal in their last 12 games. 28 for their last 28, Tim Gleason's penalty kill is just one perfect night shy of matching the franchise record for the most consecutive games without allowing a goal on the man advantage.
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

Tim Gleason's penalty kill is just one perfect night shy of matching the franchise record for the most consecutive games without allowing a goal on the man advantage.

I really wished that reporters would tell us after the event, not before. I hope this doesn’t jinx us tonight.

• Pie 2

In Net: Should the Canes stick to their every-other-game rotation between Pyotr Kochetkov and Frederik Andersen, Kochetkov would be in line to start this evening. However, when Rod Brind'Amour was asked on Thursday about how he'll handle his goaltenders in this back-to-back situation, he insinuated that he would consider going with Andersen against his former club. Kochetkov received no goal support Sunday in New Jersey, taking a 3-0 loss in his most recent start.

Speaking Of: Who starts for the Canes won't be known until at least 4:45 p.m. ET. Rod Brind'Amour's club will not hold a morning skate to start the day.

Jack's Back With Authority: Andrei Svechnikov's injury allowed the Canes to recall forward Jack Drury from Chicago (AHL) and the 2018 second-round pick made an immediate impact on Tuesday with a third period goal. Centering a line of Derek Stepan and Stefan Noesen, Drury played 21 games with Carolina earlier in the season, before returning to the American Hockey League, where he produced 22 points in 29 games.

Chatfield Maybe Ready To Go: After suffering an upper-body injury last Tuesday in Montreal, defenseman Jalen Chatfield could be back in the lineup as soon as tonight. Calvin de Haan and Dylan Coghlan have filled in next to Shayne Gostisbehere in his absence, but Chatfield was in a standard practice jersey Thursday, shedding the yellow no-contact sweater that he had been working in. Missing four games, the stretch has been the first time all season that #5 has not been in the lineup.

Get On Them Early: The Canes have scored first in a league-leading 42 games this season. They're 34-4-4 when they score first, tied with the Bruins for the most wins in the NHL when striking first.

The Impact Of A Ghost: Since Shayne Gostisbehere made his team debut on Friday, March 3, the Canes power play is 8/20.

Even Better On The Kill: Tim Gleason's penalty kill has now gone 12 consecutive games without allowing a power play goal. The team's current run over that time is 28/28, just one game shy of the franchise's longest consecutive record.

On The Other Side: Armed with a top-heavy offense, the Maple Leafs have also been very good on home ice this year. Their 24 wins in 36 games at Scotiabank Arena are tied with both the Canes and Lightning for the most at home thus far this season. Mitch Marner's 87 points rank tied for fifth among all skaters in the NHL, and he is one of four players that the roster touts who are averaging a point per game (or just about). Toronto is not just an offense-based club though, they allow just 28.9 shots per night, third in the Eastern Conference behind only the Canes and Devils.

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Puljujarvy had 112 hits in 58 games for the Oilers this season. We haven't seen it yet, but apparently he does have that physicality in his game.

• Pie 3

24 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I really wished that reporters would tell us after the event, not before. I hope this doesn’t jinx us tonight.

Leafs are ranked 3rd on the power play so will be a challenge for sure. I just want to see the Canes score on the PP. 

Leafs are also highly ranked for limiting SOG, Canes had 30 last time they played. Something to watch.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Tonight's lines:

Forwards:

Puljujarvi - Aho - Jarvis

Teravainen - Kotkaniemi - Necas

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Noesen - Drury - Stepan

Defense:

Slavin - Burns

Skjei - Pesce

Gostisbehere - Chatfield/Coghlan

Goalies:

Kochetkov

So we aren’t saving andersen for the rags on their turf. Interesting. 

Also please let Chatty be back. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Beer 1