• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer on #1, trade down options

Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, NJPanthers89 said:

Yes a second is plausible, but people thinking we’re getting 12 plus a future first have no idea how the draft works.  I’m not moving back to 4 unless I’m fine with Levis (which I am).  Plus I would def ask for Pittman in the package.  Then it’s like we essentially traded up to 4 for free 

Normal pick values get thrown out the window in a situation like this though, that's the difference.

I can't see any scenario where we would allow the Texans to pick the QB first if we're getting a 2nd rounder at most.  If that's all we could get, no GM would accept a 2nd rounder to not get first choice of their QB, particularly after everything we gave up.

Houston would have to make it worth our while, and short of #12 or next year's first, I don't think they can do that.

That's why I don't think it's a realistic situation or else they'd have traded up with the Bears for a MUCH cheaper cost.  The Bears could have gotten almost the same trade from us for #2, so they'd have taken a lesser offer from the Texans if they really wanted to move up that spot, and then flipped #2 to us.

In fact, the only way I think the Texans would make the move at this point, is if after the next 6 weeks they're convinced there's only 1 franchise QB in the draft.  And if they come to that conclusion, I'd be very worried about trading out of the top spot at that point.

• Pie 1

It’s fun to think of a draft day movie  scenario where you can trade down to say, spot 3, still get your guy and recoup a huge chunk of picks which offset the trade up quite a bit.  I’ve done it on a draft simulator and it’s very fun.

I could be wrong, but as entertaining as it is, I don’t think it’s  plausible in the real world.   

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There is one other scenario I could possibly see, that being that the Texans see us talking to the Colts.

There's also a potential scenario where we actually trade with the Colts, but that only becomes plausible if A) we like three guys and/or B) they make us a ridiculous offer.

Gun to my head, I think we stay at #1. My hope in that scenario is we take CJ Stroud...

...but anything's possible. 

So in this scenario we like 3 guys but drop down to 4?

Leaving the door wide open for someone to trade to 3 

Sounds like a solid plan to me

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

Has a trade down from a team that traded up to pick 1 ever happened in the history of the NFL draft? 🤔  Why would we be the first team to do so?

I don't think this will benefit us AT ALL.

Last thing you want to do as a GM is outsmart yourself.

We gave up friggin' DJ (and a bunch of other capital) for this pick yet we're going to go ahead and basically trade away a Franchise QB(Drafted)?    

Nope.   Not seeing it. 

All signs point to CJ Stroud.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

We gave up friggin' DJ (and a bunch of other capital) for this pick yet we're going to go ahead and basically trade away a Franchise QB(Drafted)?    

Nope.   Not seeing it. 

It’s clear as day

• Beer 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There is one other scenario I could possibly see, that being that the Texans see us talking to the Colts.

There's also a potential scenario where we actually trade with the Colts, but that only becomes plausible if A) we like three guys and/or B) they make us a ridiculous offer.

Gun to my head, I think we stay at #1. My hope in that scenario is we take CJ Stroud...

...but anything's possible. 

What I'd like to know is your definition of "Ridiculous offer". 

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Nope.   Not seeing it. 

Agree. Plus it’s not like picks are guarantees. We might pick up a 2nd or a 3rd and they could be a bust.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

My man ain't no insiders on this board.

We all regular people. Everybody trying to stand out by claiming they are "insiders"...

We have had a good few posters with legit inside info from time to time.

We've had former players who have joined and posted and we've had people within the org who have joined but never posted.

We have had several members who, under previous regimes, we're in the building quite a bit and/or we're in contact with people either employed by the Panthers or because of their work were inside the building a lot.

I know I have had info passed on to me in here about things that were going to happen. Sometimes right before it happened. 

Most of that shut down during the Rhule era. I'm hoping that it comes back, though. I think it's starting to because I'm already hearing a little bit myself. 

I usually keep whatever tidbits I hear to myself though, because it's not my story to tell. I will say that, as much as I don't like it, there is no consensus inside the building yet for who will be the #1 pick. Young has a camp and Stroud has a camp and both camps have a lot of pull. Weight seems to be fluctuating between the two depending on the day it seems.

Personally I don't care which of the two it is. I think both are going to be studs.... depending on the landing spot and situation.