• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers take advantage of a strong TE class or ignore drafting a TE since they signed Hurst?

jayboogieman

10 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

It does feel like that CB draft. Except for Icky last year in what was considered a top heavy tackle class, I can't recall when the Panthers really took advantage of a draft's strengths.

I actually like the mid-rounds WR talent in this draft. I think it's a decent class that lacks elite talent at the top end. But this might be the best TE class I can recall on paper. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be pounding the table for a TE at #39 and we're gonna draft some WR that was expected to go in the 4th. Just feels like it's coming. 😂

• Pie 1

The Panthers must sign a free agent WR.  Then I would think you must draft a WR at 39.  I understand why they are slow playing this one---there are a lot of WRs on the board, and nobody is paying oft-injured Chard $10m in this market.  The players will soon realize that paying a QB 20% of your cap is costing the teammates, not the owners.

Edited by MHS831

5 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not sure Tremble or Thomas are both safe. If a premier TE is available in this draft we absolutely shouldn't ignore the position. TEs have become premier receiving threats. The NFL is catering to offenses. Time to take advantage. 

Thomas is. His dead money is considerable but he's very cuttable after this year. This is his make or break year. If we draft a TE I think it likely signifies that Tremble is likely out 

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I actually like the mid-rounds WR talent in this draft. I think it's a decent class that lacks elite talent at the top end. But this might be the best TE class I can recall on paper. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be pounding the table for a TE at #39 and we're gonna draft some WR that was expected to go in the 4th. Just feels like it's coming. 😂

The elite WR talent is in next year's draft if Harrison Jr comes out. The Panthers blew their load this year for a QB, so don't have a chance of drafting him. If one of the top 2-3 pass catching TEs are sitting there at 39, the Panthers better draft him instead another position.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not sure Tremble or Thomas are both safe. If a premier TE is available in this draft we absolutely shouldn't ignore the position. TEs have become premier receiving threats. The NFL is catering to offenses. Time to take advantage. 

Hopefully Thomas isn't safe. I'd keep Tremble as cheap depth since he's still on his rookie contract. The smart teams have been using TEs as premier reeving threats for years.

5 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

The elite WR talent is in next year's draft if Harrison Jr comes out. The Panthers blew their load this year for a QB, so don't have a chance of drafting him. If one of the top 2-3 pass catching TEs are sitting there at 39, the Panthers better draft him instead another position.

Agreed. There's probably 4 guys in this draft who could be the #1 TE prospect in a lot of drafts. It just feels like there could be some really good value there at #39 while WR needy teams ahead of us might leave us needing to make a significant reach at #39 to go WR. I really hope this staff sees a lot of untapped potential in our current guys. It's either that or we're gonna swing a trade or we're gonna go full Gettleman in the draft and just draft every WR we can and hope some of the mud sticks to the wall.

• Pie 1

If you look at NEEDS, then I say no, they are set at TE.  I get the BPA concept and agree with it in some situations, but the Panthers must fill certain positions.

• They need 2 WRs--one top end (free agency) and another with upside (draft)
  • They need depth at DE--aside from Williams and Brown, they have nothing (YGM is not a good fit)
  • The need ILB Depth--hoping Smith steps up, but Thompson and Chinn (maybe) is pretty thin.
  • They probably need depth at CB (Jackson is good for 8-12 games; Horn gets hurt.  Henderson and Taylor?   How did Tampa Bay like that last year?)
  • They could probably use some depth at S since there is a chance we go 3 Safeties at times.

So I do not see how drafting a TE would help--but you never know.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If you look at NEEDS, then I say no, they are set at TE.  I get the BPA concept and agree with it in some situations, but the Panthers must fill certain positions.

• They need depth at DE--aside from Williams and Brown, they have nothing (YGM is not a good fit)
  • The need ILB Depth--hoping Smith steps up, but Thompson and Chinn (maybe) is pretty thin.
  • They probably need depth at CB (Jackson is good for 8-12 games; Horn gets hurt.  Henderson and Taylor?   How did Tampa Bay like that last year?)
  • They could probably use some depth at S since there is a chance we go 3 Safeties at times.

The Panthers do have a lot of needs. That's why trying to compete next year is sort of dumb especially if they start a rookie QB. They're changing schemes on both sides of the ball and will have to acquire players that fit what Reich and Co want to do. They can't do that in one offseason.

Drafting the right TE(s) could help a lot. NE won a title or two mostly using TEs.

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

You're just looking at next season. Thomas can easily be cut after this coming season. Hurst can easily be cut after two seasons. A rookie could compete with Thomas for the #2 role this year and likely start competing with Hurst for #1 the following year.

• Pie 1