• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do the Panthers take advantage of a strong TE class or ignore drafting a TE since they signed Hurst?

jayboogieman

I've been thinking about this since we restructured Thomas.  I wanted us to sign one and draft one, and cut Thomas.  I know we can afford to cut him, maybe it was a precautionary move.

Tremble is a good blocker we took at 83 in 2021.  I'd hate to give up on a pick that high so soon.  But our new staff may see him as cuttable.  After signing Hurst I still want to draft one.  If either Thomas or Tremble get cut, I'm ok with spending our second on a potentially elite pass catching TE if the top tier WRs are gone.  It give the rookie at least a year to learn behind a vet.  

We know Frank wants to throw the ball, and wants an offense that can move the ball downfield by throwing it.  Tremble may or may not fit that offense.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

We know Frank wants to throw the ball, and wants an offense that can move the ball downfield by throwing it.  Tremble may or may not fit that offense.

I don't think Thomas or Tremble fit that kind of offense, but Tremble is cheap depth if nothing else.

• Pie 1

I personally would love Luke Schoonmaker in the 4th.  I think he's a balanced TE, ton of receiving upside, 6'6 250, ran a 4.63.  Just super impressive all-around TE that would be perfect behind Hurst.  

LaPorta is my favorite after Kincaid & Mayer, but Schoonmaker is in that next tier and would be stoked to land him.

• Pie 4

It’s not a strong class IDGAF what Walterfootball or the similar folks out there say. Mayer is a likely to be an average NFL starter, same with Kincaid. Oregon St boy is a big athlete but has an extremely small sample size and was lined up as a slot receiver not in line. Everybody else is JAG. 

Receivers are short and quick…not fast. They ain’t all that either. The early QBs and the Middle backers are the gems of this class. Couple really good RB as well.

18 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I fully expect Fitt to trade back from 39 in an effort to add more picks unless there is someone there they feel they can't pass up on.

Losing that other 2nd rounder hurt, I had us taking a WR and TE with those picks.  Fitts may trade back, but I think it will be later.

1 hour ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm not sure Tremble or Thomas are both safe. If a premier TE is available in this draft we absolutely shouldn't ignore the position. TEs have become premier receiving threats. The NFL is catering to offenses. Time to take advantage. 

I think Thomas is this year, Tremble is from the previous regime though and hasn’t done poo so far. I could definitely see him getting cut or traded for a ham sandwich and a future 7th.  TEs in this class are great, can’t pass on potential future stars because of the three we have on the roster now. 

I think it just depends on how the draft goes.  They are trying to set themselves up where they have more options to take BPA.  Qb at 1 and a WR are the only HAVE TOs now in the draft I'd say even though there are definitely posistions im sure they want to draft.  They will just wait and see how the board falls.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

If you look at NEEDS, then I say no, they are set at TE.  I get the BPA concept and agree with it in some situations, but the Panthers must fill certain positions.

• They need 2 WRs--one top end (free agency) and another with upside (draft)
  • They need depth at DE--aside from Williams and Brown, they have nothing (YGM is not a good fit)
  • The need ILB Depth--hoping Smith steps up, but Thompson and Chinn (maybe) is pretty thin.
  • They probably need depth at CB (Jackson is good for 8-12 games; Horn gets hurt.  Henderson and Taylor?   How did Tampa Bay like that last year?)
  • They could probably use some depth at S since there is a chance we go 3 Safeties at times.

So I do not see how drafting a TE would help--but you never know.

Yea lots of needs overall but i think they have more of a 2 year plan to try to fill everything.  I think this draft they will get a couple defensive players but probably try to add as much to the offense as they can so the rookie qb has weapons and isnt hung out to dry.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, countryboi said:

Draft the best player regardless of position

Not possible if you don’t have a competent FO that knows who exactly that player is. That’s the difference between crap and great franchises. Rhule’s GM is still here. Are we all agreeing Rhule knows how to pick a NFL GM? Seems like this board thinks so. Kind of weird if you ask me.

• Poo 3