• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How Carolina can / has already Improved the Passing Game

MHS831

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see. Competent coaching should help a lot but we gotta nail this upcoming pick and hope we can make up for the loss of DJ in the receiving corps.

I have just seen young players who are underutilized totally break out when the opportunity presents itself. With Robbie/Robby/Chosen and DJ suddenly gone, opportunity is now.   Most are thinking that Marshall is a near bust and Shenault is a French swiss army knife, and I think that is not the case.  We shall see.

• Pie 5

I don't think TMJ is a near bust but I'm also not nearly certain that he's ready to be a top target. I really hope the staff sees serious untapped potential in our current guys... and that they're right about that. Because on paper we probably have the worst group of receiving targets on the league right now.

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see. Competent coaching should help a lot but we gotta nail this upcoming pick and hope we can make up for the loss of DJ in the receiving corps.

We also don't have to do it in one offseason. I think most fans are missing that. You don't make panic moves.

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm just anxious because I've seen the results of drafting a stud QB at #1 overall and then failing to surround him with an adequate supporting cast.

If nothing else he will already have a solid OL, good RB with hands, reliable TE who can catch, and a HC/OC that knows what they are doing.  That's already far more than Cam even had.  We have brought in several WRs already so it's clear our staff knows it's an issue and plans on addressing it.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm just anxious because I've seen the results of drafting a stud QB at #1 overall and then failing to surround him with an adequate supporting cast.

I think you are dead-on accurate to be concerned.  I do think that it may take some time to get a respectable-to-top notch receiving group in place.  The vet TE helps bridge things but the QB will need more weapons for sure. 

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fair but we have to assume that won't happen this time and then see if it does. 

I don't want to sell the farm in one of these "win now" deals that we sprayed everywhere during the Rhule Reign.

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Fair but we have to assume that won't happen this time and then see if it does. 

I don't want to sell the farm in one of these "win now" deals that we sprayed everywhere during the Rhule Reign.

I love Jeremy Chinn and in a perfect world I'd want him to be a career Panther but given our roster needs I'd be talking to the Bengals about Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd. They're stacked at WR and fresh out of safeties. We're stacked with defensive tweeners and fresh out of WRs. It makes all the sense in the world.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

TMJ has plenty of untapped potential but anyone expecting instant 1k+ yards out of him should temper that some.  It's on Fitterer he knew when he made the move what has to be done and the short term risks. We need to hit on a solid WR in the draft regardless.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I love Jeremy Chinn and in a perfect world I'd want him to be a career Panther but given our roster needs I'd be talking to the Bengals about Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd. They're stacked at WR and fresh out of safeties. We're stacked with defensive tweeners and fresh out of WRs. It makes all the sense in the world.

One part of me says no way the other says we just shipped off a 25 year old WR who was our most productive in years. I see us beginning to go down the path of overinvesting in defense again. There's still time though. We'll just have to see what Fitterer and Reich have planned.

• Pie 2

There are several reasons to be optimistic about TMJ. I think the reason Rhule benched him was the same reason he drafted him. And probably the reason we signed Teddy year one, Joe Brady. I could be wrong but my mind tells me Marshall was drafted 2021 off the insistence of Brady. Being his main advocate, when Brady got fired half way through the season Marshall's production, reps, and snaps took a nose dive. 

He shows up to training camp and over performs which puts pressure on the staff. Then he gets injured and subsequently put on the back burner as CJ Saunders starts to impress. He's then labelled a bust by many until Rhule is fired and Wilks takes over and injects him in the gameplan. Now we're seeing the flashes almost weekly. (All my speculation) 

Side note: And I can almost guarantee you that seeing Burrow, Chase and Jefferson go crazy in the NFL plagues his mind. 

In an ideal situation he's that possession receiver we need. Hopefully he's working on this route running. 

And, idunno Reich might have a two TE system in mind with how deep this draft is. But it is evident we're looking for a WR after kicking the tires on Thielen and Chark. Just feels good knowing we have play callers that can actually adjust to the players strengths. 

Shanualt just has to be utilized correctly, Cordarrelle Patterson-esque. At Colorado he ran the wildcat alot, esp in the redzone, that's about the only thing I dont wanna see him do here. But he is a physical presence and a playmaker. 

My eyes are on Flowers and Hyatt. CJ or Bryce with one of them would be the move. Maybe Downs also. I'd love Marvin Harrison Jr if CJ was the pick but we wont be anywhere near able to pick him up next year. 

Side note 2: Originally I thought we moved up for Bryce. That switched to CJ.. now it's back to Bryce. His processing and ability to extend plays are damn near elite. That size just scares me to death. CJ's accuracy and 41 Tds last year is insane though. Bryce has always been the #1 QB since highschool. CJ would be "safe" option, while Young is actually the better prospect all around. We cant go wrong with either but I could see half of Charlotte explode if it's not CJ. 

Just a rant, dont mind me. 

• Beer 2