• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers still have $23.5M in cap space

32 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

Still banging the drum for a tight end I see.  Just for arguments sake who do you see as a Kelce or Little level player. Mayer?  His best case scenario is Jason Witten. The big kid from Bama? He could end up just like OJ Howard. He can block but his receiving skill is underdeveloped. Kincaid? He is Gesicki all over again and a liability at blocking. If there is a Kittle or Kelce they going in the 1st.  It's a crowded market of teams needing a tight end and not enough high tier guys to go around. Corner,Edge and ILB are three positions we need more than a TE to push Ian and Tremble out. 

Kelce was a 3rd and Kittle was a 5th. There’s no secret sauce to know exactly who the next Kelce will be but the TE class is as deep and good as it’s been in many years. Also, if we get a Witten, we should be so lucky. Here’s an article for you: https://theathletic.com/1067715/2019/07/10/19-in-19-13-jason-witten-a-true-iron-man-and-so-much-more-than-the-lunchpail-cliche/?redirected=1

It’s funny because there’s an assumption in your post that a CB, ILB or Edge are guaranteed. As if Eli Apples and Gauldens and Donte Jacksons and CJ Hendersons don’t exist.

When a position is historically deep it just means you have a much better chance of getting great value. In a great TE class, a guy available at 39 is likely a 1st rounder other years. That’s how you get value and excel at drafting when your picks are limited. Edge is similar, very deep this year, which was another reason I was good with trading Burns. If a top edge guy drops, I’d be fine as well.

3 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Kelce was a 3rd and Kittle was a 5th. There’s no secret sauce to know exactly who the next Kelce will be but the TE class is as deep and good as it’s been in many years. Also, if we get a Witten, we should be so lucky. Here’s an article for you: https://theathletic.com/1067715/2019/07/10/19-in-19-13-jason-witten-a-true-iron-man-and-so-much-more-than-the-lunchpail-cliche/?redirected=1

It’s funny because there’s an assumption in your post that a CB, ILB or Edge are guaranteed. As if Eli Apples and Gauldens and Donte Jacksons and CJ Hendersons don’t exist.

When a position is historically deep it just means you have a much better chance of getting great value. In a great TE class, a guy available at 39 is likely a 1st rounder other years. That’s how you get value and excel at drafting when your picks are limited. Edge is similar, very deep this year, which was another reason I was good with trading Burns. If a top edge guy drops, I’d be fine as well.

Edge and Corner are also deep this year.  As you said so is TE. I'm not against taking a TE later in the draft.  I actually really like Schoonmaker, Kraft and Kunz.  But not till the late 3rd or even the 4th.  I feel similarly bout all the skill positions but QB. That is a shallow pool I'm not diving in. After like 5 guys it gets sparse.  Luckily we have the 1st so...  RB, WR and TE are spots we can explore later in the draft but they do not trump the other needs on defense.