• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich/Fitterer noon press conference

TheSpecialJuan

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

if you are pulling more for Young to be the pick, then Fitt's answers sounded like he was pointing to Young.

If you're pulling for Stroud more....you listen to Fitt's answers and think, "he could be talking about either one."

But i don't think you can listen to his answers and think that he's specifically talking about Stroud and you definitely can't listen to it and think he's talking about AR.

Most accurate take in this thread.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

Come to whatever conclusions you want, I’m just pointing out that it’s silly to act like there wasn’t a logical fit to the traits he described.

I heard the same thing as you and @therealmjl.......being a "clear stroud is #1" im coping with the idea thats its a ruse.......its got to be right.....like please, petty please.......

Interesting take by Peter King:

Thinks Carolina has to know who it’s picking. From Jeff Brunswick, of Powell, Ohio: “I’m a longtime reader who enjoys every part of your column, but I was shocked to read that you don’t think Carolina has decided which QB it will pick and that it wouldn’t be smart if they did. Even if what they traded was fair value, I can’t imagine a team giving up all those picks, plus (in your words) their best remaining offensive player, if they didn’t feel very confident that the player they were going to pick was worth it. I know pro days are still upcoming but what’s really left to learn in the next 45 days if you already feel that strongly about a player?”

Jeff, I have only a strong opinion based on those I’ve spoken with. Also, I have common sense. The owner and GM have been on the scene for the entire college football season and the lead-up to the trade, obviously. At the time of the trade, the four men who will coach the player Carolina will pick had been on the job for between three and six weeks. That’s head coach Frank Reich, offensive coordinator Thomas Brown, assistant head coach Jim Caldwell and QB coach Josh McCown. The Panthers have said this will be a collaborative decision, not one ordered by the GM, owner or coach. At the time of the trade, there was 48 days before the draft—and the only personal contact the four coaches had had with the top QB candidates was a 15-minute meeting at the Scouting Combine. Do you think all four of the coaches, settling into new jobs and in some cases having to hire a staff of coaches and move families, etc., have spent the time to form a confident and comfortable opinion about which quarterback they’d fight for, knowing they’re going to have weeks before the draft to research this critical decision? I don’t. You, and many others, think they’ve decided. It could be you’ll be right when the story is told post-draft, but that would surprise me. There is a great advantage in having the top pick, because if the Panthers know they can trade down one spot and get the player they’d have taken at number one, they can recoup some of what they’d traded to move up. The Panthers also now can breathe easy, knowing they can pick whoever they end up wanting.

• Pie 3

Normally I roll my eyes at the whole "obsessing over who is following who on Instagram" thing...but in this case, if Adam Thielen truly did just start following Bryce Young on Instagram, I think that's kinda eye-opening.  No doubt Thielen asked the Panthers' FO who they were leaning towards drafting at #1 (I think he even admitted as much)...of course he'd want to know who he's catching passes from, after all.  They may not have given him a definitive answer one way or another, but it's plausible they hinted one way or another.

That being said, I doubt the Panthers are locked in on any QB at this point.  Surely they have their leanings, but there is plenty of time for things to change before the draft.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, rayzor said:

if you are pulling more for Young to be the pick, then Fitt's answers sounded like he was pointing to Young.

If you're pulling for Stroud more....you listen to Fitt's answers and think, "he could be talking about either one."

But i don't think you can listen to his answers and think that he's specifically talking about Stroud and you definitely can't listen to it and think he's talking about AR.

Thats because the questions he was asked were directed at Young. They asked them about size and height being a concern, obviously thats not an issue with Stroud and AR. That wouldn't even come up if it wasn't a top QB in this class with size limitations. 

53 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Thats because the questions he was asked were directed at Young. They asked them about size and height being a concern, obviously thats not an issue with Stroud and AR. That wouldn't even come up if it wasn't a top QB in this class with size limitations. 

But he did mention 2-3 years experience, which AR doesn't have. That's what rules AR out, it's the lack of experience.

2 hours ago, CAPantherFan said:

Interesting take by Peter King:

Thinks Carolina has to know who it’s picking. From Jeff Brunswick, of Powell, Ohio: “I’m a longtime reader who enjoys every part of your column, but I was shocked to read that you don’t think Carolina has decided which QB it will pick and that it wouldn’t be smart if they did. Even if what they traded was fair value, I can’t imagine a team giving up all those picks, plus (in your words) their best remaining offensive player, if they didn’t feel very confident that the player they were going to pick was worth it. I know pro days are still upcoming but what’s really left to learn in the next 45 days if you already feel that strongly about a player?”

Jeff, I have only a strong opinion based on those I’ve spoken with. Also, I have common sense. The owner and GM have been on the scene for the entire college football season and the lead-up to the trade, obviously. At the time of the trade, the four men who will coach the player Carolina will pick had been on the job for between three and six weeks. That’s head coach Frank Reich, offensive coordinator Thomas Brown, assistant head coach Jim Caldwell and QB coach Josh McCown. The Panthers have said this will be a collaborative decision, not one ordered by the GM, owner or coach. At the time of the trade, there was 48 days before the draft—and the only personal contact the four coaches had had with the top QB candidates was a 15-minute meeting at the Scouting Combine. Do you think all four of the coaches, settling into new jobs and in some cases having to hire a staff of coaches and move families, etc., have spent the time to form a confident and comfortable opinion about which quarterback they’d fight for, knowing they’re going to have weeks before the draft to research this critical decision? I don’t. You, and many others, think they’ve decided. It could be you’ll be right when the story is told post-draft, but that would surprise me. There is a great advantage in having the top pick, because if the Panthers know they can trade down one spot and get the player they’d have taken at number one, they can recoup some of what they’d traded to move up. The Panthers also now can breathe easy, knowing they can pick whoever they end up wanting.

They may have decided, who knows? It is also smart to wait in case the chosen pick does a “Jalen Carter.” That allows you to pivot in a worse case scenario. 

• Pie 1

40 minutes ago, rayzor said:

But he did mention 2-3 years experience, which AR doesn't have. That's what rules AR out, it's the lack of experience.

“Ideally” yes, but who knows how high they are on his other traits. Also this is all just Fitt’s input on the position. I imagine the pick will be a collaboration of Fitt, Reich and his staff. I don’t want AR at 1, but I think people read too much into these press conferences. 

• Pie 2