• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Panthers QB Cam Newton to be throwing at Auburn's Pro Day

Saca312

5 hours ago, Luciu5 said:

Love Cam, but he's really sticking to the "aint 32 better than me" thing? He's probably not wrong, but look at his last 1.5 seasons. Idk, at this point just comes across salty. I'd love love love to see him get a chance somewhere and prove it, but I doubt he ever does, and I'm not entirely certain he could prove it.

If you include backups, are there 64 better quarterbacks than him? 

Based off his last few seasons his days as a starting quarterback in this league are arguably over, but as a backup he has more to offer than a lot of the backup quarterbacks in the league. 

If he’s willing to act as a backup and take that kind of deal, maybe he gets a deal somewhere around the league. However, if Cam still believes he can start and wants that opportunity and to be paid as such, then I can’t see him getting another shot. 

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

His arm is shot when he's playing a starting role. His arm is pretty good until it starts inevitably wearing down as he plays more games. He could absolutely thrive in a Taysom Hill role still today.

If Cam had Andy Dalton 's personality and the signing of him would be a non-story after the initial headlines (and he was willing to settle for a role that isn't entrenched starting QB) he'd be on a roster.

You make it sound like he's a locker room cancer. Truth is he's just too popular. He's an icon to younger players and everyone knows what's he capable of, so no matter how he behaves there's no flying under the radar for Cam especially on a QB needy team. We saw it happen here.

I do think when his shoulder's healthy he's better than a number of starters in the league but as you said, how many games can it realistically hold up for? I am a little surprised no one is kicking the tires when Rhule clearly misused him.

Edited by MechaZain
  • Pie 3

2 hours ago, MechaZain said:

You make it sound like he's a locker room cancer. Truth is he's just too popular. He's an icon to younger players and everyone knows what's he capable of, so no matter how he behaves there's no flying under the radar for Cam especially on a QB needy team. We saw it happen here.

I do think when his shoulder's healthy he's better than a number of starters in the league but as you said, how many games can it realistically hold up for? I am a little surprised no one is kicking the tires when Rhule clearly misused him.

You're right on the money here. 

Cam is far from a cancer. He is, however, one of the most charismatic players ever in the game -- teammates (and fans) love the guy and would follow him anywhere. That's not always easy to deal with if you've got a young QB you are trying to raise up or a coach that isn't much on the personality scale or if you have an entrenched leader already on your team that could get jealous (Steve Smith, Sr. in our own case). 

He's really best suited for a Taysom Hill role right now as a gadget guy/QB. He can do a lot of damage to opposing teams that way, but you have to keep him on a snap/pitch count. The biggest problem with doing that is Cam himself, he does not want to be on the bench at all and the team around him will begin advocating (or worse) for him to have a bigger role. He's his own best salesman, but he's his own biggest problem.

He's not a bad guy, he's one of the best, but he creates a quandary for anyone picking him up right now. 

• Beer 1

It appears as though Cam Newton still has the fire to play at the highest level after not being on a team in the 2022 NFL season.

What may be hampering Cams ability to be on an NFL roster may be because of the way he views himself: as a starting QB.

Perhaps if he uses his Pro Day to not only show he still has it on the field, but that he's willing to take a smaller, backup role, Cam may be able to find NFL employment once again.

2 hours ago, MechaZain said:

You make it sound like he's a locker room cancer. Truth is he's just too popular. 

It's not just that.

Newton has always seemed like a guy who sometimes just doesn't understand how he comes off.

For example, how are you as a team going to feel about bringing a guy in as a backup who just publicly declared that he could well be better than the "muthaf--ka" you have starting?

It's the same kinda thing you got when he was swearing about "just asking for a little commitment" from the Panthers.

You don't have to be a cancer to be a distraction.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Is this a troll account or do you have some inside info on Cam going to Atlanta?

10 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Where is Lamar going?

Yeah, that guy doesn't know anything.

Appears to be our resident numerology geek who spent the last several years predicting that Newton would come back to the Panthers and win another MVP.

Guess he got tired of that not happening and now he's moved on to being a Falcons fan.

(that's actually good news for all of us)