• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Panthers QB Cam Newton to be throwing at Auburn's Pro Day

Saca312

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

typically i'm like that as well, but for a long time there was no life to the organization. we had started losing and we were ok with it. there was just a sense of apathy and the fanbase needed a recharge, they needed a sense that it was ok to get hyped up about the team. i think the fanbase was mainly a bunch of wine and cheesers (as we used to call them) and the reputation was that when someone did get excited in the stands, they would call security on them to get them to sit down and be quiet when the game was being played. 

cam brought not just excitement to the playing, but excitement to the team and the fanbase. he was the guy this franchise needed to get it off it's collective ass. he made it fun and the fact that there were moms in Tennessee complaining about him to the press and players on other teams that didn't like his swagger just made it even more fun. they didn't like it, but they couldn't stop him and wouldn't have until the refs made it open season on him allowing all kinds of late  and other douchebag level hits on him.

when he got pumped up, it had a contagious effect on the team and the fans. he was infectious and in that way, it absolutely mattered that he was more than just a guy who played the position well.

I think that feeling is back, but it's not because of a player.

It's because of the head coach.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

it could be. i think it's a good dynamic being brought in. it's a different one than it was with Cam, but it doesn't need to be the same. i think this team will be stronger than it was with Cam. that's not at all a knock on Cam, it's a knock on the people who were building this team. they relied too much on him and forced him to have to be a superhero every game, all game, with very little protection up front and help in the wings. and the coaching staff didn't make it much better. 

Cam made an impact on the culture. Reich is doing that, too. But while i think Reich's impact won't have as much flair, it will be a lot more widespread.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No one would be excited if we were expecting Andy Dalton or some other lukewarm vet to be the starting QB. It's very much the combo of a legit NFL coaching staff plus the promise of a #1 overall pick at QB.

• Pie 7

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No one would be excited if we were expecting Andy Dalton or some other lukewarm vet to be the starting QB. It's very much the combo of a legit NFL coaching staff plus the promise of a #1 overall pick at QB.

true. the hope/expectation that we are finally getting another great QB is adding to the excitement. and that w are doing a pretty good job of building the team around that QB. 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

true. the hope/expectation that we are finally getting another great QB is adding to the excitement. and that w are doing a pretty good job of building the team around that QB. 

We're all just ready to be hopeful. Cutting Cam followed by the disaster of the Rhule era then trading away the most exciting player we had on CMC, I mean... it's been a rough few years.

It's exciting to be excited about Panthers football again.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

30 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's exciting to be excited about Panthers football again.

It's also logical.

Honestly, that means as much to me as anything does. Sure, we could be hopeful after Rhule was hired, but it was something you had to talk yourself into.

That's not true at all with Reich.

30 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I hope he shines.  I know it is a steep hill to climb but who knows if he could make a roster he might just do something special.

Cam is one of my all-time favorites and changed the league because many teams look for their Cam Newton.

Good Luck Cam.

It hurts that Cam didn't get a better ending.  I love Rivera as a man, but it was ridiculous to continue to play Cam in 2016 after his shoulder injury.  Between the mismanagement of his injuries, and the insulting and strategically stupid way Cam was let go, to trying to latch on to the Patriots late (and then getting Covid) to coming back here to be a part of Rhule's circus, Cam deserved so much better.

I will always be a Cam fan (but please, please don't go to Atlanta).  But for Cam, like the vast majority of both professional athletes and normal people in general, a storybook ending just wasn't/ isn't in the cards.

I will die on the hill that there has never been an athlete as transcendently talented and who accomplished so much who has also been unfairly maligned in the matter Cam has been.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Shannon Sharpe goes off on a rant (shocking, I know) 😐

Yikes 😬

Didn't watch. Sharpe picked the worst possible media mentor he ever could have. Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, Colin Cowherd, Jim Rome, etc. absolutely took a poo all over "sports journalism" and he was happy to throw his name right into that lot. fug him. Secretariat ass looking motherfuger. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1