• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bears would have accepted Moore, Burns or Brown.

Varking

10 hours ago, Shocker said:

I personally can’t help but be worried when I look at Justin Fields college stats and  how strangely his career looks to CJ Stroud.  It’s bizarre the similarities there and Stroud isn’t a running QB like Fields.

Fields vs Clemson and Stroud vs Georgia.  It’s just weird.  Fields was incredibly accurate at OSU too

Fields and Stroud are two completely different QBs. Stroud is like Mr Fundamentals who has said he learned the position by watching Brees play. Fields is an elite athlete who can run over/around defenders while throwing a nice deep ball. 

Most valued positions:

tier 1:  QB

tier 2: protection of QB(LT) and pressure/rush on QB(DT/edge)

tier 3: defense against pass attack non-rush (lockdown cornerback)

tier 4: passing weapons (WR/TE)

it’s easier to find competent WR and TEs when you have the other tiers in place…thus Moore was the right one here.  There are outliers like a Kuechly you could place into tier 3 I think but general rule of thumb outline 

• Beer 1

As much as I think DJ is a great guy, the team made the right decision. DJ wasn't playing up to his contract. Yes, there were QB issues galore and game planning issues, too, but DJ wasn't giving it his all every time he got out on the field.

We cleared a big cap headache for the future and secured some defensive building blocks in the same move. I think they made the right decision and DJ will grab some big paychecks and use them to buy heavier coats.

Good luck to DJ, though.

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

As much as I think DJ is a great guy, the team made the right decision. DJ wasn't playing up to his contract. Yes, there were QB issues galore and game planning issues, too, but DJ wasn't giving it his all every time he got out on the field.

We cleared a big cap headache for the future and secured some defensive building blocks in the same move. I think they made the right decision and DJ will grab some big paychecks and use them to buy heavier coats.

Good luck to DJ, though.

DJ played with one of the worst series of QB's/Coaches in the NFL over the last several years.  IMO, and with all things considered, he outplayed his contract.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, FugginPoo said:

Most valued positions:

tier 1:  QB

tier 2: protection of QB(LT) and pressure/rush on QB(DT/edge)

tier 3: defense against pass attack non-rush (lockdown cornerback)

tier 4: passing weapons (WR/TE)

it’s easier to find competent WR and TEs when you have the other tiers in place…thus Moore was the right one here.  There are outliers like a Kuechly you could place into tier 3 I think but general rule of thumb outline 

I did some back of the napkin correlations between post season success and position rankings.

Obviously there is a strong correlation between QB and success but weak regarding the defensive line, (not the entire defense).  Most of the top ten defensives lines did not make the playoffs.  WRs rankings had a stronger correlation than the defensive line but not by a lot.

Going in I thought Moore was a better trade than Brown, but maybe not, especially with a young QB.

8 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

DJ played with one of the worst series of QB's/Coaches in the NFL over the last several years.  IMO, and with all things considered, he outplayed his contract.  

He absolutely did. Those who've attacked him on here will be the ones creating "We Never Should've Let DJ Go" threads in September.

I actually would have let Burns go.  Largely looking contracts and timelines.  And I am largely assuming the Panthers are going to sign him to a massive deal. 

We just extended DJ Moore.  Contract was decent given what he was.  DJ Moore was an overall complete WR that got it consistently done in the worst of times.   We are drafting a rookie QB we hope to develop. 

Burns is a one dimensional DE.   I think the Panthers are going to pay him like he is a complete and dominant DE.  Which he isn't.  And he isn't a freakshow out of this world pass rusher.   Fine player that I loved to have....but that was rookie contract Burns.   I'm no longer thinking of that dude.