• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis - Not so fast my friend!

CRA

5 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

If we are gonna draft AR we definitely need to trade down to 4th or lower. 
AR probably won’t see the field till 2024 at the earliest. 
Don’t really wan’t to take a project player at 1st but it Would make me feel better if we got away from 1st overall and get some picks back if we plan to draft him. 

I have no idea if I'd draft AR or not. It all comes down to his interviews, background checks, and just your overall feel for who he is and what he can develop into. There's no question about the talent. But most busts have plenty of talent.

I'd be super excited if we drafted him because that means our very experienced coaches think he has what it takes and that they can get him there.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Verge said:

Because Bryce Young is the better quarterback and a more sure fire thing. Don't get me wrong, I love AR, but I would never take him over Young. 

Bryce Young is no more of a sure fire thing than the others. The only thing he has on the others is more game tape and a team better suited to take advantage of his ability.  That is not a sure fire thing to translate to the nfl. And being the smallest qb to ever be drafted does not ensure a long and successful career. All of them have concerns.

Of the 4 top qb's to attend the combine only 1 qb took part every drill and every measurement. That guy wasn't afraid that he may look bad or inferior in some manner compared to his competition.  Guess who that was? That guy shows courage and determination.  Their actions or should I say inactions said more to me about these guys than how they threw the ball in shorts.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

If they are seriously considering AR at 1 makes me wonder if they think he can start this season. 
I can not remember a team taking a project QB at 1 ever. 
AR may not be ready to start for a season or 2.
Lance was taken at 3 but I think if Jimmy G wasn’t there he would have started his rookie year. 
Also do Panthers fans want to watch Dalton for maybe 1 or 2 seasons and waste even more of our core defensive and O-line players prime, potentially

AR is a project. I mean they are all projects, but AR is going to take a whole lot of work compared Stroud and Young. 

I was fine with AR being the pick at 9. I'd be ok with it at even 5. But you don't trade up from 9 to 1 for a project of that magnitude. You better be damn sure you can get him rolling in year one or at the latest year 2. 

If they pick him and he isn't ready to go after a year or two then everyone involved in that pick should be fired.

That's one big fuging gamble and I'm inclined to think it's a fools bet at 1, especially since that 1 is so damn expensive, costing us 2 first rounders, 2 later rounders, and a first round talent WR.

And your right, it would be an absolute waste of resources making the whole team, especially including recent acquisitions making them wait for a year.

Its just much more likely to blow up in our faces if we did that.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'll never get the "his ceiling is the highest" BS on AR. His passing accuracy is average right now, his footwork is average right now, his experience is below average right now. He can run it like crazy, yes. He has a huge arm, yes. He is in freak shape, yes. But none of that makes a great QB. Right now his ceiling is hoping he can even be as good as Young and Stroud are today. And if he will get better, they will too. His ceiling has zero to do with his QB skills. Just his athleticism. It's like signing a young LeBron James away from the NBA and trying to get him to be a star QB. It's insane. Young has a MUCH higher ceiling if you can just put some weight on him which is asking much less than with AR. Helping Stroud outside of the pocket is harder, but still much easier than teaching AR how to be an accurate QB. QBs throw it first and foremost, and Young and Stroud will always ... always be better than AR at that.

The only reason I'd be interested in Richardson is that he already has (some of) the intangibles you look for in a QB, namely that he processes well, he's calm and moves well in the pocket. 

Now is he as good at processing as Stroud and Young right now? No. Can he be in 5 years? Possibly not - however, his athleticism means that teams will always have to play simpler coverages against him (basically zone or an extremely athletic Spy i.e. TD v Vick). Young and Stroud will never have that running threat. 

If you're confident that you can clean up his mechanics and he impresses you in interviews (i.e. does he have that drive to continue to improve [which you definitely saw in College from Utah to Florida St]) then I can see him being the pick. 

The other thing for me is why do you have Reich, McCown and Dalton in the building? Yes they're going to improve Stroud and Young, but both are already extremely polished - their greatest effect would be on a rawer prospect with better physical tools. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I have no idea if I'd draft AR or not. It all comes down to his interviews, background checks, and just your overall feel for who he is and what he can develop into. There's no question about the talent. But most busts have plenty of talent.

I'd be super excited if we drafted him because that means our very experienced coaches think he has what it takes and that they can get him there.

I think ultimately Stroud will be the pick, but Richardson would be the brass balls sitting on your desk, push all your chips into the middle of the table and have trust in your convictions / expensively assembled coaching staff move. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Feel like if we draft AR all this hype will end with a wet fart. 
Not saying AR can’t be successful. Just find it weird that we trade up to 1 only to draft a player that may of been there at 9. 
A player that won’t be able to start for a long time. We are talking 1 to 2 seasons. If he is ever ready. 

The key word being may. Trading to 1 elements any scenarios where may is involved.  They have their choice now and plenty of time to ensure that it's a fully informed choice.  Whether it's the right one or it even works out is another thing entirely. 

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I just hope we don’t take him 1st overall. Of course it would be a completely Panthers thing to draft a project player that high. 
If they trade back I will start thinking they probably will take AR. 
I don’t think they are crazy enough to take him 1st overall. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I certainly think we have a very sound coaching staff. 

developing super raw QB?  Not sure that’s anyone’s  speciality in Carolina. 

Richardson just seems like the risky possible play there could be.  And we are giving up a lot for the pick.  I just want a functional QB.   I don’t care if they are a HOFer.   I want a higher floor than Richardson has 

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

AR is a project. I mean they are all projects, but AR is going to take a whole lot of work compared Stroud and Young. 

I was fine with AR being the pick at 9. I'd be ok with it at even 5. But you don't trade up from 9 to 1 for a project of that magnitude. You better be damn sure you can get him rolling in year one or at the latest year 2. 

If they pick him and he isn't ready to go after a year or two then everyone involved in that pick should be fired.

That's one big fuging gamble and I'm inclined to think it's a fools bet at 1, especially since that 1 is so damn expensive, costing us 2 first rounders, 2 later rounders, and a first round talent WR.

And your right, it would be an absolute waste of resources making the whole team, especially including recent acquisitions making them wait for a year.

Its just much more likely to blow up in our faces if we did that.

Isn't it the same risk with Young?

You take the smallest first round QB ever with an average NFL arm and suddenly realise his improvisational play doesn't fly in the NFL where everyone is bigger, stronger, faster and the windows are much tighter? That's not to mention the injury issue. 

This entire discussion is why I wouldn't have traded up to #1, but here we are.