• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis - Not so fast my friend!

CRA

2 hours ago, PantherFanInPhilly said:

Yall are smoking if you think they're taking AR15 at 1. No chance in hell. 

If I told you this time last year.....the Panthers front office was trading CMC and DJ Moore.  Most would say no chance in hell to that. 

If I told you when Matt Rhule was hired his solution to the Panthers problem was to sign Sam, Robbie (Jets and Jags being casted off) and add bunch of Baylor/Temple guys the day he was hired? People would say no chance in hell that was a comedy that would never happen. 

I mean, we drafted a corner in the top 10 with the worst QB roster in the NFL.

You can't predict things. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, CRA said:

If I told you this time last year.....the Panthers front office was trading CMC and DJ Moore.  Most would say no chance in hell to that. 

Trading a good WR and a great RB isn't unprecedented.  Hell talented receivers get traded every year it seems like.  Taking a CB in the first round isn't unprecedented.

Anthony Richardson would be the least accomplished #1 overall pick at the QB position and it wouldn't even be close.  He would be an absolutely unprecedented selection given his college production or lack thereof.

Comparing the situations is ridiculous.

Anthony Richardson is not going #1.  I would put money on that not happening.  Even JaMarcus Russell had more college production than him.  And this isn't me hating on AR - I like him a lot and would have loved him at #9.  But we sit and compare him to other QBs who have went 1 in history?  It just isn't going to happen.  Teams aren't taking him over multi-year starters.  The exceptions are when that year is so damn good ala Newton or Burrow, and Richardson's season obviously wasn't that.

I'm sure you'll keep insisting there is a chance though, because "panthers organization bad." And obviously neither of us will never know for sure how strongly he's been considered until after the draft.  But I feel extremely confident that Anthony Richardson, a 1-year starter who threw for 17 TDs, is not going #1 overall in the draft just because he had a great combine.  It is just chatter, the type of chatter you hear before the draft every year where people keep propping up guys that have no chance of going as high as people are saying.  Hell people were convinced Justin Fields was going top 3 and he fell to 11.  Do I think Richardson falls to the teens?  Maybe, maybe not, but he absolutely isn't going #1 overall.  That is insane talk.

Edited by Mage

12 minutes ago, Mage said:

Trading a good WR and a great RB isn't unprecedented.  Hell talented receivers get traded every year it seems like.  Taking a CB in the first round isn't unprecedented.

How many teams trade away their 2 clear cut best offensive players in the same year?  It's not common. 

How many teams in QB purgatory for years with nothing on the roster draft DBs in the top 10 with good QB prospects falling in their laps.  It's not common. 

Rhule saying he wanted Cam, cutting Cam, and then bringing Cam back a year later to save their jobs also was not predictable.  

My point is simply you can't say we 0% chance of drafting AR.  Our front office is NOT predictable.  And there are legit people saying he has some support here.  

and NFL teams despite their absurd payrolls are mom and pop shops.  And any routinely do idiotic stuff all the time. 

2 hours ago, therealmjl said:

Because at some point, common sense prevails. Everything Reich, Fitt, and even Thomas Brown have said about traits they want in a quarterback just don’t align with AR.

Go back and listen to Thomas Browns intro presser - he mentions the desire to have a QB with a “point guard mentality, a distributor” - which just isn’t what AR is at this point. This would have to be some next level smoke-screening.

I just don’t see any possible scenario AR is in play, especially after trading up.

Yup.  They don't really have the coaches with a history of developing a QB like this--and I am not sure they have the offensive system and personnel for it--

• Pie 1

The CRA logic: because these not-even-crazy things happened, that means literally anything is a possibility.  We gave a mediocre Ian Thomas a decent sized extension, therefore what if we cut Brian Burns and sign Nicole Tepper to play DE?  IT'S POSSIBLE.  Oh you think we won't draft a long-snapper with the 1st overall pick?? Well I present to you Exhibit A: we took a CB in the top 10 of the draft.....A CORNERBACK.  Anything is possible.

Think About It GIF by Identity

(Just remember that this time last year, he swore we were drafting Kenny Pickett at #8).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

The CRA logic: because these not-even-crazy things happened, that means literally anything is a possibility.  We gave a mediocre Ian Thomas a decent sized extension, therefore what if we cut Brian Burns and sign Nicole Tepper to play DE?  IT'S POSSIBLE.  Oh you think we won't draft a long-snapper with the 1st overall pick?? Well I present to you Exhibit A: we took a CB in the top 10 of the draft.....A CORNERBACK.  Anything is possible.

Think About It GIF by Identity

(Just remember that this time last year, he swore we were drafting Kenny Pickett at #8).

I mean, literally insiders have been talking about our interest in Richardson for some time now. 

There is zero logic saying their is a 0% chance lol.  That's the point. 

Many of us have been very satisfied with this entire hiring of the staff process (and selection of coaches) and FA signings, if they want AR, who’s to say it’s the wrong move? They seem to be nailing everything the vet done since Rhule was canned. To me, young, stroud, AR, I trust the staff. Weird to say after the last three to five years. 

15 hours ago, CRA said:

TD saying it ain’t going to be Young.  Or Stroud.  And he dislikes who a couple front office guys got a thing for.  Gotta think he talking about Morgan and company maybe? 

The Panthers said they are bringing in the four, Stroud, Young, Levi, Richardson for interviews, so it is  obvious that one of them will be the Panthers choice at #1 overall.

I have thought for sometime the choice would be between Stroud and Young, both good choices.

However,  it's just my opinion that it will be Stroud they select, someone i feel would last as the better long term QB.

6 hours ago, CRA said:

My point is simply you can't say we 0% chance of drafting AR. 

Sorry man.  We can feel free to agree to disagree.  But I am beyond confident that Anthony Richardson is not going #1 overall.  He would be the least pedigreed #1 pick at the QB position of all-time.  He had a great combine and I like the kid, but it just isn't happening.

But again, neither of us will likely know the true answer of how heavily he's been considered until after the draft.  So if you really believe he has a chance to go #1, then fair enough.  But personally I think it would be the most shocking QB #1 selection in NFL history.  I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt it happens and think this is just the usual draft-talk we get before the draft happens where a prospect is overvalued in where he might go.